What exactly qualifies as "heavy" lifting?

Options
Simply put, I'm broke, I have a very tiny apartment and 3 kids that could get hurt with big equipment around. Eventually, I would like to gain muscle tone and have a stronger body, after I lose some weight (my goal is 60-70lbs so I am thinking I might start once I am down 30-35). Do I need giant weights to "lift heavy"? Does this mean huge barbells or is there another way? I'm 5'4", about 185lbs and want to improve my strength training with weights once I'm around 145-155. My goal weight is 127. I will be doing squats and other exercises that don't require equipment until then.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym. It's body weight exercises. They'll get you started. You may find that you want to join a gym later and follow a lifting program with actual weights.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    By the way, start working your muscles now. It will help preserve your muscle as you lose weight.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You Are Your Own Gym. It's body weight exercises. They'll get you started. You may find that you want to join a gym later and follow a lifting program with actual weights.

I want to join the gym we have in walking distance (no car) but right now it's $140 or so (LA Fitness $99 start up fee then $30-40 per month). I will be joining, but with 3 kids I can't always go. I will be at home at lot so I'd like extra ideas. Or, hey, if anyone can let me know anything about this it would help. Should I start now? Wait until I'm at goal because do I need to eat at a surplus to tone up or only to gain more muscle than I already have? I'm all ears (or eyes) lol I literally just saw that book title on the last thread I read, by the way. I will look into that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" is relative to your own abilities. What's "heavy" to you may be less than a warm-up weight to somebody else, and their "heavy" could be feather light to a competitive powerlifter. Without knowing your current strength level, "heavy" could be bodyweight exercises for you right now (squats, lunges, push-ups, etc.). The thing about "heavy lifting" is that for your strength to continue to grow, there has to be an element of progression included - as you get stronger, you have to increase the weights/difficulty.

Assuming you haven't been strength training, you don't need giant weights or huge barbells right now - if you haven't been lifting, the weights would be crushing to you, you wouldn't be able to lift them and you'd just get injured. You could probably go a long way on just bodyweight exercises (check into programs like "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning").

I'd encourage you to take up strength training now rather than waiting until you lose the weight. Strength training (along with adequate protein intake) will help you maintain what muscle you currently have as you're losing the fat, and it's much easier to maintain muscle than it is to put it back on once you've lost it!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    By the way, start working your muscles now. It will help preserve your muscle as you lose weight.

Ah just saw this so you answered my question. Does it have to be really rough or can I start small? I am pretty weak. I used to be very strong because I worked out a lot when I was younger. Then I had 3 kids in 5 years. There went that. Can I just do basic strength training exercises for now? Such as, squats, lunges, scissors, push ups, sit ups, crunches, etc? Also, what else can I do without laying on the floor, for abdominal exercises? There isn't much floor space here. lol.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    "Heavy" is relative to your own abilities. What's "heavy" to you may be less than a warm-up weight to somebody else, and their "heavy" could be feather light to a competitive powerlifter. Without knowing your current strength level, "heavy" could be bodyweight exercises for you right now (squats, lunges, push-ups, etc.). The thing about "heavy lifting" is that for your strength to continue to grow, there has to be an element of progression included - as you get stronger, you have to increase the weights/difficulty.

Assuming you haven't been strength training, you don't need giant weights or huge barbells right now - if you haven't been lifting, the weights would be crushing to you, you wouldn't be able to lift them and you'd just get injured. You could probably go a long way on just bodyweight exercises (check into programs like "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning").

I'd encourage you to take up strength training now rather than waiting until you lose the weight. Strength training (along with adequate protein intake) will help you maintain what muscle you currently have as you're losing the fat, and it's much easier to maintain muscle than it is to put it back on once you've lost it!

Thank you! :) I am pretty weak right now. I lost a lot of my strength and muscle over the last few years. I can tell by how easily I have trouble breathing and get physically tired. I was using cans of food and doing squats a few days ago. Would something like that be a decent way to start? I can't afford to buy dumbells yet, so I was improvising. Let me put it this way, I am so out of shape that I can't do a full squat anymore and I used to do 200 a day about 6 years ago. I also did a hundred to two hundred sit ups often and Im sure now I can barely do ten before needing to breathe and start a new set.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Ah just saw this so you answered my question. Does it have to be really rough or can I start small? I am pretty weak. I used to be very strong because I worked out a lot when I was younger. Then I had 3 kids in 5 years. There went that. Can I just do basic strength training exercises for now? Such as, squats, lunges, scissors, push ups, sit ups, crunches, etc? Also, what else can I do without laying on the floor, for abdominal exercises? There isn't much floor space here. lol.

I would start with some of the exercises in the program I suggested. The only way you'll get better is to try. When I started I did push ups from my knees and struggled with pretty much everything. Muscle memory will kick in and you'll make progress quickly.
  • Verity1111
    Options

I would start with some of the exercises in the program I suggested. The only way you'll get better is to try. When I started I did push ups from my knees and struggled with pretty much everything. Muscle memory will kick in and you'll make progress quickly.

Thank you. I definitely push myself. Possibly too hard. Everything is difficult for me. I did 100 squats with a little weight the last time and it was rough. I think I should work my way up then. Thank you for the ideas. :)
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have about the same amount as you to lose and I have already started with weight training. It makes me feel great and like I'm doing something besides trying to get thin. Gaining strength is a big part of why I'm going to a gym.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative. If doing 4 solid form good push ups is your max, that's heavy. If a person can bang out 50 pushups, but only 3 solid one arm ones, that is thier level of heavy. Bodyweight exercises can be scaled to the difficulty needed to make it heavy.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can start "small." I could only use 5lb weights for bicep curls. Now, I can do weighted chin-ups (my body weight + 15lbs). Everyone starts somewhere.

There is a woman at my gym (who I think is training to do some kind of fitness competition; I see her posing in a bikini in the locker room). She does A LOT of body weight exercises (very little "heavy lifting"). She was pretty small to begin with...but has lost a considerable amount of fat. Body weight exercises + diet (I see her eating chicken from a tupperware container everyday) are effective for fat loss.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As USMCMP mentioned- You are your own gym

I would add- Body By You and Convict Conditioning.

Also- check out Nerd Fitness- Best Body weight Beginner workout- and The Angry Trainer Fitness

They all have great at home type work outs that can be done.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

If you don't have a way to lift heavy, do not fret. You can still get in shape by working out at home with body weight exercises and no equipment.

I agree that your best bet (with no equipment) is to try body weight workouts. Convict Conditioning and You are Your Own Gym are both at my local library. So see if yours has them, and that way they are free!
    If you want to buy them later on, Amazon usually has them used for cheaper.

Also, on FitnessBlender.com you search for exercises that require no equipment as well.

I decided to look into kettlebell workouts and they are working for me in that I didn't need to buy a bar and plates (just one KB, cheap on Amazon) and the DVDs.

I also don't have much space for bar and plates at home and don't have a gym membership.
    So if you want to move on to training with weights later on, maybe look into kettlebell workouts and see if that looks like something you would like.
    FitnessBlender.com has kettlebell workouts for free (I mainly use Zuzka Light DVDs because I like her technique and instructions)

Another fun and effective exercise is Blogilates (YouTube) also free and no equipment. Remember that weight loss is mostly due to a caloric deficit; so don't let exercise limitations rain on your goals. You can do it!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

I want to join the gym we have in walking distance (no car) but right now it's $140 or so (LA Fitness $99 start up fee then $30-40 per month). I will be joining, but with 3 kids I can't always go. I will be at home at lot so I'd like extra ideas. Or, hey, if anyone can let me know anything about this it would help. Should I start now? Wait until I'm at goal because do I need to eat at a surplus to tone up or only to gain more muscle than I already have? I'm all ears (or eyes) lol I literally just saw that book title on the last thread I read, by the way. I will look into that.

30-40/month seems steep. Do you live in a more expensive part of the country?
    When I joined LA Fitness the rate was $25/month to use a single location or $30/month for access to any location.
    I prepaid for 18 months so they waived the registration fee saving me 100 bucks. You mentioned you're broke so that probably isn't an option for you but I would recommend it if you can make it happen. I think they run sign-up promotions quite frequently so keep an eye out for those. You might be able to get the registration fee waived without prepaying.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

When I joined LA Fitness the rate was $25/month to use a single location or $30/month for access to any location.
    I prepaid for 18 months so they waived the registration fee saving me 100 bucks. You mentioned you're broke so that probably isn't an option for you but I would recommend it if you can make it happen. I think they run sign-up promotions quite frequently so keep an eye out for those. You might be able to get the registration fee waived without prepaying.

I am selling things to pay for it and slowly raising the money. I didn't think of that...maybe I could do that but that is probably a lot of money lol. Going on $600. Ill have to ask them. I do live in an expensive part of the country, Chicago.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the ideas. I will check the library for those books. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. lol.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I am selling things to pay for it and slowly raising the money. I didn't think of that...maybe I could do that but that is probably a lot of money lol. Going on $600. Ill have to ask them. I do live in an expensive part of the country, Chicago.

If you do want to join a gym (although it isn't necessary), the YMCA often offers sliding scale memberships. Equipment varies by location, but I've seen Ys that are perfectly outfitted for strength training.
    The gym is the only way I will have any space to exercise or peace and quiet. I am being literal when I say there is no space to exercise here. I have one machine and it's in my kitchen lol and we have no kitchen chairs and still no floor space. My kids don't let me relax and exercise in peace. The gym I want to join is in walking distance and the hours start at 5am, which is when I would go, while they are sleeping, but I doubt the ymca is open that early. Thank you for the idea though.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises won't replace heavy weight lifting.

Wouldn't you be better buying a second hand setup off ebay? There's always very cheap deals. You can put the weights in a locked container and get this type of rack:

bodymax_squat_stands_1.jpg

With this you can do almost everything
  • usmcmp
    Options

Wouldn't you be better buying a second hand setup off ebay? There's always very cheap deals. You can put the weights in a locked container and get this type of rack:

Body weight exercises are a great place to begin and will have a positive impact. There are many ways to increase resistance with body weight exercises. Many people will never need to actually lift because their goals don't depend on it.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Body weight exercises are a great place to begin and will have a positive impact. There are many ways to increase resistance with body weight exercises. Many people will never need to actually lift because their goals don't depend on it.

You won't get the benefits of weight lifting from bodyweight exercises and vice versa.