Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What exactly qualifies as "heavy" lifting?

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    I think the OP has already mentioned being strapped for cash and short of space. For now... go with what you can do. Bodyweight is much better than nothing and where loads of us started out
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Bodyweight exercises won't replace heavy weight lifting.

Wouldn't you be better buying a second hand setup off ebay? There's always very cheap deals. You can put the weights in a locked container and get this type of rack:

bodymax_squat_stands_1.jpg

With this you can do almost everything

Body weight exercises are a great place to begin and will have a positive impact. There are many ways to increase resistance with body weight exercises. Many people will never need to actually lift because their goals don't depend on it.

You won't get the benefits of weight lifting from bodyweight exercises and vice versa.

Yes you will. Resistance training, including body weight exercises, helps with lean mass retention. Do you do push ups or lunges? Do you do pull ups? Do you do dips? Lifting in a gym or using a barbell is not required. Making it seem like that is the only way to work your muscles is a great way to discourage someone from starting. Eventually she does want to start lifting, but she mentioned that she has a tight budget. Buying portable squat stands, plus a barbell, plus weights is expensive any which way you try to cut corners.

Check out the author of Convict Conditioning Al Kavadlo. He's a CSCS and only does bodyweight workouts.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

Wouldn't you be better buying a second hand setup off ebay? There's always very cheap deals. You can put the weights in a locked container and get this type of rack:

Body weight exercises are a great place to begin and will have a positive impact. There are many ways to increase resistance with body weight exercises. Many people will never need to actually lift because their goals don't depend on it.

You won't get the benefits of weight lifting from bodyweight exercises and vice versa.

Yes you will. Resistance training, including body weight exercises, helps with lean mass retention. Do you do push ups or lunges? Do you do pull ups? Do you do dips? Lifting in a gym or using a barbell is not required. Making it seem like that is the only way to work your muscles is a great way to discourage someone from starting. Eventually she does want to start lifting, but she mentioned that she has a tight budget. Buying portable squat stands, plus a barbell, plus weights is expensive any which way you try to cut corners.

Check out the author of Convict Conditioning Al Kavadlo. He's a CSCS and only does bodyweight workouts.

I have been sitting here trying to remember his name. Thank you for posting that.

This is another good site to check out for bodyweight. You can see his progression while he lost weight and did bodyweight training: http://strengthunbound.com/monthly-progress-photos/
  • usmcmp
    jemhh wrote: »

I have been sitting here trying to remember his name. Thank you for posting that.

This is another good site to check out for bodyweight. You can see his progression while he lost weight and did bodyweight training: http://strengthunbound.com/monthly-progress-photos/

Al has a great physique! His body is not my goal and would not suit my needs, but for many people body weight can be enough.
  • jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    You could do goblet squats with a milk jug full of water I think their good for beginners too get form down pretty good
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Ha! I was just going to mention the magic milk jugs. Filled with water or sand, bicep curls, tricep extensions and kickbacks, lunges, dead lifts, and balanced on the end of a broom handle, squats.
    You can do a lot with them.

The words 'heavy lifting' really scared me until I learnt it is 'lift what is heavy for me' now I don't care if I am moving the lightest weight in the gym- it is my heavy, and I own it.

I am a big Nerdfitness fan.
    Started weak as a kitten, push-ups against the wall, planks 10 sec on my knees, and 5's of most things.
    Now, 3 sets with variations, extensions ( 2 min planks, and additions. It is alway my fall back because it can travel with me, and be done in a small space.

Cheers, h.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    When I started lifting end of Jan I could barely bench 5 kg Db for 5x5 without my pt helping with last couple of reps. Now I'm lifting 14kg db for 3x8. Now for alotof women who have been lifting a long time that is nothing but for me I just manage that last rep without dropping it so it's heavy. What I'm trying to say as alot of others have said it's about what is heavy for you. The only person you have to compete or compare yourself to is you. Lifting with progressive overload in a proper lifting program whether bodyweight or with weights will see results. Good luck and have fun with it.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    when someone asks me how i lift i typically say i do heavy reps which to me is a 2-5 rep range
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    A couple of other suggestions would be to use a back pack and/or duffle bag & weight it to do squats, lunges & deadlifts when you are able to progress beyond bodyweight. You could possible do some heavy carries with this set up also.

One of the sites I like for body weight exercises & programs that is free is by Todd Kuslikis. He has a lot of info on different bodyweight exercises by muscle group and breaks them down further from beginner to advanced. He also has free bodyweight exercise programs and routines for beginner to advanced trainees.

http://ashotofadrenaline.net
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited November 2015
    You can build muscle with body weight exercises. IMO, heavy lifting is anything over 10lb. B) As far as I'm concerned, anything that results in my being able to see muscle definition is heavy lifting. For me, that's been a maximum of 20 lb free weights and bodyweight routines. And people compliment me on my arms and shoulders all the time.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited November 2015
    Wow. So much good information! Al Kavadlo is amazingly fit for only body exercises. That gives me hope. :) I will read through all of this individually now, but it will take some time lol. Thank you, everyone, for all the help!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Ha! I was just going to mention the magic milk jugs. Filled with water or sand, bicep curls, tricep extensions and kickbacks, lunges, dead lifts, and balanced on the end of a broom handle, squats.
    You can do a lot with them.

The words 'heavy lifting' really scared me until I learnt it is 'lift what is heavy for me' now I don't care if I am moving the lightest weight in the gym- it is my heavy, and I own it.

I am a big Nerdfitness fan.
    Started weak as a kitten, push-ups against the wall, planks 10 sec on my knees, and 5's of most things.
    Now, 3 sets with variations, extensions ( 2 min planks, and additions. It is alway my fall back because it can travel with me, and be done in a small space.

Cheers, h.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    How do you do a push-up against the wall??
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    @Verity1111 push-ups against the wall.

Stand with your feet a couple of feet from the wall, lean forward until your hands are on the wall, bend your elbows until your face almost touches the wall, then push yourself away. Repeat.

Cheers, h.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    I would define heavy as meaning in the 4-6 rep range, and just talking about myself, I've seen better muscle growth when working in this range as opposed to 10-12. Considering you have young children who might hurt themselves with dumbells/barbells/weight plates lying around your home, I would start with two exercises:

1. chin-ups, you'll need a door frame bar (check ebay). If you find you're starting in the 4-6 rep range on this then you're already in good shape! If you can't do any then start with negatives (start at the top with your chin over the bar, and lower yourself as slowly as you can for x repetitions).

2. push-ups, add weights to your back as you get stronger, you can also add variation by raising your feet on a stool, changing hand positions. Push up stands are also great for increasing the range of motion and very cheap.

The above, plus some high intensity interval cardio will give you great bang for your buck. Most cardio training works your legs pretty well, so I wouldn't worry about lack of weighted squats. My legs developed very nicely just from fast/hilly short distance cycling and running.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    I think if you look at Craigslist for a week you might find good equipment. I found a wonderful set of weights, bench, etc. for not very much (although I had to paint some of the stuff, especially the plates, that had a bit if rust).
    I spent a good deal of time planning how to integrate the equipment into the room that I use as my office and now everything is set up I can exercise without going to a gym, and I think I do so more often because everything is right there.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member

With respect, I didn't say it was the only way. The question was whether you can get the benefits of weight lifting without weight lifting - no you can't. Bodyweight exercises develop strength, strength endurance and stability, you can build a foundation for strength.... I never suggested the contrary.
  • usmcmp

With respect, I didn't say it was the only way. The question was whether you can get the benefits of weight lifting without weight lifting - no you can't. Bodyweight exercises develop strength, strength endurance and stability, you can build a foundation for strength.... I never suggested the contrary.

What other benefits are there to lifting weights for dieters beyond strength, strength endurance and stability? The OP never said she wanted to become a competitive bodybuilder or powerlifter, so I fail to see how she can't meet her goals without lifting weights. Body weight exercise will help her "gain muscle tone" and that's her goal.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2015

What other benefits are there to lifting weights for dieters beyond strength, strength endurance and stability? The OP never said she wanted to become a competitive bodybuilder or powerlifter, so I fail to see how she can't meet her goals without lifting weights. Body weight exercise will help her "gain muscle tone" and that's her goal.

Aside from some rehab and correct exercise (strength-training), body-weight exercises are very good for those interested in dare I say "basic" GPP. With that being said, even those that are into strength-training, in my opinion at least, should do some body-weight exercises as well. What good is being strong if you can't manage your own body-weight?
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member

Name one benefit of weight lifting that you can't get from bodyweight exercises.

Given what the bodyweight training Kavadlo brothers look like,

DannyAlKavadloLSit.jpg
    AlKavadloDannyKavadloPistolSquats.JPG

They convinced me that I don't ever have to lift a single barbell (which I detest) and can achieve the lean, strong, toned, athletic body that I want with bodyweight exercises alone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    "heavy" generally describes the rep range you are working in...low reps 1-5 or 6 at a high % of your max for that particular lift. the actual weight itself would be relative to the end users abilities.

i agree with others that body weight work is a great place to start, particularly if you don't have access to a gym or can't afford a gym. I spent months doing body weight stuff before ever setting foot in a weight room.

your chosen form of resistance training should be based on your personal goals...there is not a singular, universal way of training that is going to be optimal for all goals.

lifting "heavy" is generally in reference to traditional strength programs...low reps at a heavy weight is optimal for gaining pure strength.

moderate weight in the 8-12 range is optimal for putting on mass

over 12 reps and you're working more on muscular endurance and stamina.

there is a lot you can do with body weight so long as you progressively push yourself to do tougher variations of a particular exercise. in that RE, lifting can be a more efficient way of progressively overloading your body because all you have to do is add weight to a particular lift...with body weight you have to do progressively more difficult variations of a particular exercise.