Why aren't you sweating?

Options
1235»

Replies

• aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Anhidrosis, the inability to sweat normally. It sucks. I feel like I am judged for not working hard enough, one PT at my gym always makes comments about "how can you already be tired & done, you're not sweating yet" but I promise I work hard. I cant sweat therefore I cant cool myself down so I appear extra weak, super fun. hahaha

I wish I could get all "glistening"
    Did that PT feel like an *kitten* when you told him you had a medical reason for not sweating? lol
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy! Just got back from the gym (jumped on MFP to update my log) and had to put a towel on the chair so I don't sweat all over it. Pretty nasty, but hey, TMI Tuesday!
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy. Plus I'm so pale I'm practically transparent so I get really red. AND If I forget to pin my bangs back, my previously straightened bangs start to curl (naturally wavy hair). Yeah, I don't look nearly as cute when I leave the gym as when I walked in, but like others said, I wear it with pride because it means I was really working hard.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's probably genetics. When I exercise, I POUR. Bundle and ride during the early winter requires that I bring a spare if I want to wear a dry shirt when I get to Point B.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I sweat when I run. Not so much when I weight train. But on long runs I sweat visible salt..very odd..

I did read once that the fitter you are the more you sweat.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    Am I the only person who sweats like a pig while working out....I mean dripping. It's nasty. I look around the gym and see many people who don't sweat at all.

Are they just not working hard enough? Blessed with an anti sweat gene? I don't get it.

My theory is that if you're not sweating your'e doing something wrong.

Back in my early 20s, no matter what I did, I just glistened. Now that I'm in my 40s, I'm all out dripping to the point that I can squeeze sweat off my hair and shorts.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I was once told by one of the instructors at the gym that people who don't sweat much during a vigorous workout are generally dehydrated! Not sure I really buy into that though, as I don't sweat much and will generally drink 2 - 3 litres of water during the day.

Yeah, I'm not buying that either. I am one that doesn't sweat much and I drink more than a gallon of water a day most days. I'm definitely not dehydrated.

I am another glistener. lol I get red and damp but never pour sweat.

*ditto
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat as badly as I did when I was bigger.
    In fact I don't often but my weight is coming off
    so I doubt it is hindering me. I'm also in my 40s
    it might just be my hormones.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My situation varies from glistening when I'm taking it easy that day to sweating so much it's dripping off of my eyelashes when I'm really getting after it. So you are definitely not alone!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I did read once that the fitter you are the more you sweat.

That has to be false!! I have seen some very over weight people sweat terrible! And I can do insanity and only get damp!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I drip sweat pretty badly during intense workouts. There was one time I was running while training for a race and thought it was starting to rain, then just realized that it was my own sweat dripping on my arms.

It does depend on the intensity and type of workout, as well as personal fitness level for the workout being done. My personal cardio training for races (runs and cross cardio) usually have me soaked by the end of it. But during the strength workouts I usually only just "glisten" a bit with sweat. Unless it's super hot out, then I'll drip down my back a little.

The comparison is when I'm coaching someone on Couch to 5K. I'm on my third coaching gig and even in the 90 degree heat yesterday, on week 1, day 2 of the program, I only had a bit of sweat, hardly any dripping even. But the woman I'm coaching was soaked. Because our fitness levels are in different places. For me, it's a leisurely jog around the track for 30 minutes, but it's a huge exertion on her body for that time because she's hasn't done any kind of running in about 20 years and she's about 100 pounds heavier than I am.