Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't love the peel of a baked potato, but that's one reason I don't really like baked potatoes as much as other kinds, like fingerling or yukon gold or whatever the little red ones are called. And chopping them up (well, the bigger ones) and roasting them doesn't take much longer than 10 minutes anyway, so win!

(Also, my stupid microwave has been broken for a while and I keep putting off getting it replaced.)

What is the ten-minute secret?? I can't seem to get away with anything shorter than 50-60 minutes (including pre-heating) no matter what. Do you have a convection oven?

I do, but don't usually use that for potatoes. I just chop them smaller -- it's more like 20 mins, though, which I consider not much longer than 10, and I don't count the oven pre heating time!
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I nuke 'em about four minutes on each side and I'm okay with the way the skins come out, but oven-baked is better. The nice thing about microwaving is that you don't have to heat up the whole house in July just to get a baked-potato fix.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I got one of those potato pouches last year. Used it once for potatoes, but now mostly just use it to heat up tortilla and rolls. I prefer a crispier skin.

I got some tips from the wikiHow website once and they worked great. I just rub it with a little EVOO and salt and pepper the outside of the potato (doing that gives it a somewhat crispy skin). For a medium to large potato, microwave on high for 5 minutes, turn it over (for an even cook), microwave for another 3 minutes. Check for doneness (fork should pierce the potato easily, but the center of the potato should still be a little firm). If needed, continue to microwave in 1 minute increments until done. Let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting it open (this allows the center to finish cooking with the heat that's trapped in the potato and also gives you a fluffier potato without drying out the outside. Russet potatoes seem to work best in the microwave due to their high starch content they seem to yield a fluffier potato. Yukons also work great. They're not quite as starchy and tend to yield a slightly dense potato.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've actually had a wrist issue for a while, so not having to stab the potato with a fork made things quite a bit easier. My microwave is a bit small, so in order for the bag to rotate freely, I had to fold the cover over a bit and flip the opened side down towards the turn table. Anyway the potato was baked in five minutes, but just one
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Oh, forgot to add, tried the skin. Not my thing, I don't think
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I don't love the peel of a baked potato, but that's one reason I don't really like baked potatoes as much as other kinds, like fingerling or yukon gold or whatever the little red ones are called. And chopping them up (well, the bigger ones) and roasting them doesn't take much longer than 10 minutes anyway, so win!

(Also, my stupid microwave has been broken for a while and I keep putting off getting it replaced.)

What is the ten-minute secret?? I can't seem to get away with anything shorter than 50-60 minutes (including pre-heating) no matter what. Do you have a convection oven?

I do, but don't usually use that for potatoes. I just chop them smaller -- it's more like 20 mins, though, which I consider not much longer than 10, and I don't count the oven pre heating time!

Haha, ok :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

If the first time you've eaten potato skin is after microwave cooking, I think maybe it did not get the best chance to show itself off.

Old-school way: get baby potatoes (skins are also softer). Boil water, throw in the potatoes, cook at high boil for ~20-30 mins, drain. Next: sautee them in garlic and parsley; dust with salt and paprika. (If for *who knows what reason* you want more fat in the potatoes, cut them in half after they're boiled before you sautee them :) )

This is guaranteed to be delicious to 99.99% of people.

Sorry to hear about your wrist, that sucks :(

(I also have wrist issues: for boiling water in pots on the stove, which are too heavy to carry & dump etc - if your sink is close to the stove, use a ladle or a handy cup to get water into the pot, and then instead of a colander for the cooked food, use one of those spoons with holes in it to scoop it out. Then when the water cools, use the cup to get most of the water out. And get some lighter pots and pans.)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been using this for the past year. Only takes 4 minutes in my microwave and the potato turns out great every time.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

If the first time you've eaten potato skin is after microwave cooking, I think maybe it did not get the best chance to show itself off.

Old-school way: get baby potatoes (skins are also softer). Boil water, throw in the potatoes, cook at high boil for ~20-30 mins, drain. Next: sautee them in garlic and parsley; dust with salt and paprika. (If for *who knows what reason* you want more fat in the potatoes, cut them in half after they're boiled before you sautee them :) )

This is guaranteed to be delicious to 99.99% of people.

Sorry to hear about your wrist, that sucks :(

(I also have wrist issues: for boiling water in pots on the stove, which are too heavy to carry & dump etc - if your sink is close to the stove, use a ladle or a handy cup to get water into the pot, and then instead of a colander for the cooked food, use one of those spoons with holes in it to scoop it out. Then when the water cools, use the cup to get most of the water out. And get some lighter pots and pans.)

The little baby potato things? Oh yeah I eat those whole. Who has time to peel off the skin and what would be left? :laugh: Whoops my bad, guess I wasn't really considering those potato skins. But yeah I'll give it a shot with an oven baked potato - my next time guaranteed to be when somebody else makes it

The wrist is basically 100% but things like push ups and long distance driving take so much out of it already; Any extras that can be dumped are welcome :) The last time a recipe called for a couple cups of boiling water, I microwaved it :D Haven't made pasta in a while, that's stove top for sure! Great tip though I'm sure I'll use it sometime, too!