Why are some people getting fatter?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok so we get fat because we eat too much... I wonder though, what causes us to eat too much? I was talking to my mom the other day about how sometimes my kids are just too wild when we go out to eat, asked her if we were the same, and she said we just loved food too much so it was never an issue with us... we'd just eat.

What makes my kids stop eating when they're full and say no to dessert while that just never happened to me as a kid and I ALWAYS had room for dessert?

I was reading in a magazine that if a pregnant woman drinks more than 2 cups of coffee, the kids will be more likely to be overweight later... I also read everywhere when my kids were babies that if you add rice to their bottle, it messes up their hunger signals and they'll be less likely to overeat later (my mom did that with us - I didn't do it with my kids).

I don't know how accurate that is, but could there be some factors that make some people eat more?

I mean obviously for some people it's just because they eat too many calories by always eating on the go and not being particularly careful about their food choices... but I also know people who self regulate pretty well and are happy with small servings of food, or people like me who just love food so much that they have no issue having a cookie if they are not hungry at all.

So what caused that difference? I mean surely it must come from somewhere?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/your-hunger-hormones

@Francl27 I think my Leptin gauge was broken. :(

I think it is called becoming Leptin resistant is you read the science behind the answer to your question.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    42firm03 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    I've always assumed children become fat because their parents don't teach them proper nutrition and eating habits.

like most assumptions this one is bad.

Kids are not possessions. They have free will and lives apart from their parents so after about age 5 a parent is SOL on controlling intake.

Under 5, I can buy all about the home feeding environment but once school starts mom and dad aren't all there is to say.

Not sure where you live but in the UK a 5 year is still very much under the control of their parents for their intake. You either select a pre-set school meal or send your child to school with a pack lunch. It's not like they can go off site at lunch time and buy sweets in a local shop.

They may, manage to "swap" something they don't like for something they do like with another child but not many kids are going to give up their sweets and the lunch staff will be watching out for what the children are doing.

Here in America there's candy and rewards all the time. Finished your math, have a lollipop. Great soccer game, here's a doughnut. Etc. you can't outrun the amount of food on offer. If you are the type like Lemur's cat and my second kid, with no internal regulator. You are screwed! Kids don't have the emotional intelligence to say no when they should. You can't teach that and to be so judgmental of parents (not you, generic you) is fairly one sided view. IMO.

Who's giving those kids the lollipops and donuts, then?

And, therefore, rewarding children for doing their math and playing soccer. Food should never be used as a reward.

Teachers, coaches, other parents. It's why some schools have banned birthday treats at school. 27 kids in a class is 27 times a year you get cupcakes!

Yes, we've gone crazy with celebrating and rewarding ourselves and our kids with food.

I disagree that it was this way years ago. Treats were truly rare in my childhood, in America, in the South even! I had almost no opportunity to eat without my parents knowing about it. That's not true for my kids now.

I was under the impression they stopped it because of food allergies, not because of using food rewards.

I've been told it's a combination of the two.

We do a cake party once a month at my daughter's school.
    Not a single obese child in this class.

Oh, and one of my daughters never eats this stuff because she hates most sweet things. I think she's actually an alien.

Call the government. I confirm, alien.

It is a struggle - she's a bit of a carb (breads, noodles) and meat monster. Could not get her to eat vegetables or any greens for the greatest time. At eleven, we now can get her to eat avocado and peas (rarely) - no chocolate, no to most sweets. Very low tolerance to most pepper or spices. But she'll eat any cheese including Maroilles (stinkiest of stinky), snails and stuff like that ... a French alien. Baguette but no to pain aux chocolat.

Taste is a such a factor for food gorging.

I was like that too. As a kid I loved Brie and olives and disliked ice cream.
    I think that's the problem with OP saying 'I love food. Why doesn't everyone?' Because you love something and think it's delicious doesn't mean your kids or anyone else will. I woukd probably find most of what OP eats really unappetizing but each to her own. That doesn't mean I hate food and she loves it. Taste is definitely a huge factor and life would be very dull of we all liked the same things.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I've always assumed children become fat because their parents don't teach them proper nutrition and eating habits.

Kids are not possessions. They have free will and lives apart from their parents so after about age 5 a parent is SOL on controlling intake.

Under 5, I can buy all about the home feeding environment but once school starts mom and dad aren't all there is to say.

Not sure where you live but in the UK a 5 year is still very much under the control of their parents for their intake. You either select a pre-set school meal or send your child to school with a pack lunch. It's not like they can go off site at lunch time and buy sweets in a local shop.

They may, manage to "swap" something they don't like for something they do like with another child but not many kids are going to give up their sweets and the lunch staff will be watching out for what the children are doing.

Here in America there's candy and rewards all the time. Finished your math, have a lollipop. Great soccer game, here's a doughnut. Etc. you can't outrun the amount of food on offer. If you are the type like Lemur's cat and my second kid, with no internal regulator. You are screwed! Kids don't have the emotional intelligence to say no when they should. You can't teach that and to be so judgmental of parents (not you, generic you) is fairly one sided view. IMO.

And, therefore, rewarding children for doing their math and playing soccer. Food should never be used as a reward.

Teachers, coaches, other parents. It's why some schools have banned birthday treats at school. 27 kids in a class is 27 times a year you get cupcakes!

Yes, we've gone crazy with celebrating and rewarding ourselves and our kids with food.

I disagree that it was this way years ago. Treats were truly rare in my childhood, in America, in the South even! I had almost no opportunity to eat without my parents knowing about it. That's not true for my kids now.

I was under the impression they stopped it because of food allergies, not because of using food rewards.

I've been told it's a combination of the two.

We do a cake party once a month at my daughter's school.
    Not a single obese child in this class.

Oh, and one of my daughters never eats this stuff because she hates most sweet things. I think she's actually an alien.

Call the government. I confirm, alien.

It is a struggle - she's a bit of a carb (breads, noodles) and meat monster. Could not get her to eat vegetables or any greens for the greatest time. At eleven, we now can get her to eat avocado and peas (rarely) - no chocolate, no to most sweets. Very low tolerance to most pepper or spices. But she'll eat any cheese including Maroilles (stinkiest of stinky), snails and stuff like that ... a French alien. Baguette but no to pain aux chocolat.

Taste is a such a factor for food gorging.

That was actually a lot like me when I was a kid. I didn't enjoy sweets until I was older and I still don't really eat them often.

I'm similar in that I didn't really enjoy sweets until I was older. I was underweight until I got type 1 diabetes. Then 2 things happened:
    1. I was told by uninformed people (including adults who had less training than me on type 1 and thought they knew more) that I wasn't allowed to eat donuts, cupcakes, or grape juice (that was a nurse at a non-diabetes camp who exclaimed it was "full of sugar" as she physically took it away from me).
    2. At the time, the exchange diet was used (those who have had type 1 for decades will remember this legacy diet plan) and I was given certain amounts of each food to eat at each meal... the same number of "exchanges" from each category at the same times every day. In hindsight, I was given way too much food. At first, it was hard to eat that much, but it didn't take long before I was hungry all the time anyway.

I went from being 10 lbs. underweight to being 10 lbs. overweight in a month (i.e. I gained 20 lbs. in the first month). Then I continued to gain weight, doubling my weight by a year and continuing to gain.

Anyone who didn't know me before I got type 1 diabetes would see a fat kid and think that I had no self control and that I had overly permissive parents. The truth is that I had an unseen medical issue that was treated in a way that caused rapid weight gain and adults who assumed their age was proof of certain medical knowledge coupled with constantly being told "no" to sweets. My parents were great; it was everyone else that screwed me up.

But I enjoyed sweets after all of this... could never get enough.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

Three-fourths of a cupcake a week, even if all 27 have birthdays during the school year!

It's easier to blame society.

I actually prefer to blame my mother. It's really all her fault, isn't it?

If you were overweight as a child and are still a very young adult then much of the blame probably lies with the adult who raised you. But that is only true for very young adults. At some point you must take responsibility for yourself, even if a parent/guardian did give you a poor start.

Sorry, sarcasm font was turned off.
    Not her fault, not society's fault. Each bears their own is my whole point.

I sure as heck hope Personal responsibility kicks in well before young adulthood. I've got 4.5 decades done and my mother hasn't run my life for 3.5 of them.

Blaming parents is the same as blaming society, IMO. (For kids over 5-10-ish. I got nothing for the parents of an obese 2 yo.)

A 5-10 yo has personal responsibility?? Geez. :(
    I think they were saying it doesn't count for the kids up to ten, that Personal Responsibility begins at eleven years of age. Anyone who has raised a child will tell you that they're not ready to take on the world and be responsible at 11, lol. I'm not agreeing with the comment. But I think that's what they meant.

I think.

They were saying it begins at 6-11. Yeah, I got it. It blows my mind, but I got it.

I'm saying that at that age they put the food in their own mouth. I present it but I cannot make them eat it. I also cannot make them NOT eat. They are tall enough to get in cabinets and the fridge. Pour a bowl of cereal, etc. It's very different than nursing a baby or feeding a toddler, man those days were easy to control the food! I want them to eat the broccoli or chili with beans. They don't. Who's "responsible"?

The adult in charge.

Do you have children? just curious.

Yes, they are grown now, some with children of their own.

I have two too. One is 39 now with kids of his own and he never gave me a lick of trouble when comes to eating his veggies and proteins. I was 16 when I had him. My other one, who just turned 16, has given me nothing but grief when comes to eating. He is extremely picky and very sensitive to taste. He has a some mental disorder which he his seeing a doctor for. So until you have walked in the shoes of others, don't be judgmental.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »

Three-fourths of a cupcake a week, even if all 27 have birthdays during the school year!

If you were overweight as a child and are still a very young adult then much of the blame probably lies with the adult who raised you. But that is only true for very young adults. At some point you must take responsibility for yourself, even if a parent/guardian did give you a poor start.

I sure as heck hope Personal responsibility kicks in well before young adulthood. I've got 4.5 decades done and my mother hasn't run my life for 3.5 of them.

Blaming parents is the same as blaming society, IMO. (For kids over 5-10-ish. I got nothing for the parents of an obese 2 yo.)

I think they were saying it doesn't count for the kids up to ten, that Personal Responsibility begins at eleven years of age. Anyone who has raised a child will tell you that they're not ready to take on the world and be responsible at 11, lol. I'm not agreeing with the comment. But I think that's what they meant.

I think.

They were saying it begins at 6-11. Yeah, I got it. It blows my mind, but I got it.

I'm saying that at that age they put the food in their own mouth. I present it but I cannot make them eat it. I also cannot make them NOT eat. They are tall enough to get in cabinets and the fridge. Pour a bowl of cereal, etc. It's very different than nursing a baby or feeding a toddler, man those days were easy to control the food! I want them to eat the broccoli or chili with beans. They don't. Who's "responsible"?

The adult in charge.

i bet people werent expecting you to say yes

I'm not surprised either way. I personally could relate to the sentiment (must be the parents fault) before I had children. Now that I have them I am much more sympathetic to the challenges of being a parent. I've seen parents try their best and for some reason it's harder for their situation.

I am all for parental responsibility but I've seen enough situations to know there are various factors that make this more challenging

Of course parenting is challenging. That is a far cry from expecting a 5-10 yo to be reposible for their own nutrition. Those aren't even close to being the same subject.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »

I think.

The adult in charge.

i bet people werent expecting you to say yes

I'm not surprised either way. I personally could relate to the sentiment (must be the parents fault) before I had children. Now that I have them I am much more sympathetic to the challenges of being a parent. I've seen parents try their best and for some reason it's harder for their situation.

I am all for parental responsibility but I've seen enough situations to know there are various factors that make this more challenging

Of course parenting is challenging. That is a far cry from expecting a 5-10 yo to be reposible for their own nutrition. Those aren't even close to being the same subject.

I didn't take it to mean a 5 yo is totally responsible for their nutrition but that they do have will and won't just do as you say and eat what you say.

I do agree that the parent has a large responsibility. I'm just discussing the complexities of why I can't always just frown upon the way the child was parented
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing that we are all made in God's image, and yet there is so much diversity among his people?

Desmond Tutu

Who?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I believe the food industry changed to make more convenient calorie loaded foods. Just walk down the middle aisles of Wal-Mart or almost any grocery store and you'll see what I mean. I think many people stopped cooking from the fresh vegetables, fruits, even sometimes meats. Over time people relied on the quick foods because of a busy possibly stressful life and it just all becomes habit and it's passed down. Often the processed foods are going to be higher calorie compared to a meal of vegetables and meat close to the same size or volume from what I find. I was a picky eater as a kid and still struggle with it today. Don't get me wrong, I still eat everything in moderation these days. Just an observance...
    I don't buy that, at least as far as it pertains to most of us participating here. I'm 53 years old, so grew up as a kid in the '60s and '70s. I clearly remember plenty of Twinkies, Ho Hos, Chocodiles, TV dinners, sodas, potato chips, pre-packaged foods, etc. in my childhood. There were also obese people, but not on the scale we see today.

I think it has a lot more to do with inactivity than anything else. While the saying "you can't out-train a bad diet" makes absolute sense, there's no denying that people in general are far more sedentary these days - which equates to lower TDEE, which absolutely makes a difference in energy balance. We drive everywhere, sit at desks all day long, schools have cut recess and physical education programs, kids don't walk/ride their bikes to school, computer/video games are a more popular pastime than playing outside, etc., etc. Even if you were to assume an isocaloric diet across decades (which isn't necessarily realistic), a person eating 2700 calories and expending 3000 is going to fare better than a person eating 2700 calories and expending 2400.

I think the biggest change in the food industry has been portion sizes - everything is "supersized" and many restaurants pride themselves on their huge portions. Couple a higher intake with a lower activity level and voila - an obesity epidemic.

...I also believe some people, or a lot in this case, lack knowledge in reading food labels and nutrition. I didn't know anything about calories in high school...
    Absolutely, positively 100% true. Reading through the topics in these forums is more than enough proof of that. Most of what people "know" is diet industry hype, derp and woo which is passed down through magazines and mass media. The vast majority of the population has very little/no actual knowledge of basic nutrition, health or exercise principles.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Out of my cousins and probably my friends as well, I was always the only one who loved eating food and whatever was served at the table when my family was visiting people... Everyone else my age always skipped eating and just played around. I was the only fat one too. :D

Yep. Me too. I was always thinking, "Don't you guys know what's inside? Deliciousness!!!"

OP, you raise an interesting, if albeit complex question. I think the reason it's brought up is that some of us who struggle want to help our kids be more aware of what they're eating as one day, they'll be making all of their own food choices. I never paid attention or listened to my body when it felt full. If there was dessert provided, I wanted it. All three of my daughters will stop when they are full. They'll pass up dessert. They'll pass up a yummy hot drink or treat when we're out. That was not me as a kid. I can't for the life of me remember if I really consciously taught my kids to pay attention to how they felt, but I'm still doing it with myself.

I wish I could blame my mom for being a really good cook, lol. Part of it is probably genetics. Part was probably that the food was tasty and there were 7 of us, so you never got as much as you wanted (although we always, always, had enough--I just didn't pay attention to what "enough" meant when eating).
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    always wondered why I was an overweight kid, my sister was an underweight kid, and we got the exact same healthy, balanced, mom-prepared food, and were active and close in age. It didn't help me to be told no dessert, no seconds when at the same time my parents were begging my sister to eat more. I had no way to understand at that age, and I think the perceived unfairness affected my sneaking food and secretly buying junk the second i had pocket change and freedom enough. My sister loves food now, but she literally can take one half bite of chocolate cake and be done with it and happy to have merely tasted it. She's always been tiny. I can't imagine doing that. It's a mystery. Same access to healthy food, same environment, completely different relationship with food.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered if taste buds don't change over time. I was a terrible eater as a child. I didn't like most foods and considered eating a waste of time that could otherwise be spent playing. Many foods I love today absolutely repulsed me as a child. I don't just mean being picky either. A mouthful of broccoli would set off my gag reflex. Food was not particularly pleasant - it was just fuel. Also, dessert was a rare treat served 3-4 times a year at most. I didn't really start to enjoy food until I was in my mid to late 20s. Then I enjoyed it a bit too much!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The reason I got fat was because food is delicious and I get great satisfaction from eating it. I seldom overeat foods I don't enjoy. The only exception is candy corn, but that's only popular once a year, so that can't be it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The reason I got fat was because food is delicious and I get great satisfaction from eating it. I seldom overeat foods I don't enjoy. The only exception is candy corn, but that's only popular once a year, so that can't be it.
    The first three pieces of candy corn are awesome. After about three, I start to wonder how the first three could've been so good.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    i blame fast food - too tempting to just "grab something bad" and not cook at home
    the city i grew up in is all different
    main street lined up with fast food
    I've eaten McDonald's about once a week on average since I was 10. And many times I've eaten fast food 2 times a week. Heck for a stretch of almost 10 years, I lived on fast food as a door to door salesman. I just never really got overweight because I didn't exceed my calorie intake often.
    So it's not the fast food, but over consumption that still the real reason why people get fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered if taste buds don't change over time. I was a terrible eater as a child. I didn't like most foods and considered eating a waste of time that could otherwise be spent playing. Many foods I love today absolutely repulsed me as a child. I don't just mean being picky either. A mouthful of broccoli would set off my gag reflex. Food was not particularly pleasant - it was just fuel. Also, dessert was a rare treat served 3-4 times a year at most. I didn't really start to enjoy food until I was in my mid to late 20s. Then I enjoyed it a bit too much!

They do.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok so we get fat because we eat too much... I wonder though, what causes us to eat too much? I was talking to my mom the other day about how sometimes my kids are just too wild when we go out to eat, asked her if we were the same, and she said we just loved food too much so it was never an issue with us... we'd just eat.

What makes my kids stop eating when they're full and say no to dessert while that just never happened to me as a kid and I ALWAYS had room for dessert?

I was reading in a magazine that if a pregnant woman drinks more than 2 cups of coffee, the kids will be more likely to be overweight later... I also read everywhere when my kids were babies that if you add rice to their bottle, it messes up their hunger signals and they'll be less likely to overeat later (my mom did that with us - I didn't do it with my kids).

I don't know how accurate that is, but could there be some factors that make some people eat more?

I mean obviously for some people it's just because they eat too many calories by always eating on the go and not being particularly careful about their food choices... but I also know people who self regulate pretty well and are happy with small servings of food, or people like me who just love food so much that they have no issue having a cookie if they are not hungry at all.

So what caused that difference? I mean surely it must come from somewhere?

That's a pretty deep question, and I don't think even the best doctors have figured out all the answers. I've actually talked to a psychologist that deals with EDs, the effects of mental health issues, etc in regards to diet and nutrition and she said the causes are just all over the map.

Even in people without any ailments that would change anything from the norm, there are just so many aspects of the human mind that are complex that I think it's almost impossible to find the real final answers.

Our daughter has always been one of those kids that eats fairly well, and never over eats. She can push away her favorite food or dessert after a bite of two if she's full and had enough to eat. She was a picky eater, and still is in some aspects. I don't think she ate a hamburger or hot dog until she was 6 or 7 years old.... she just never liked anything ground or processed. But she would jump into a roast or steak without thought.

What drives all that? I don't know. She's super bright... maybe she just knew I would buy more steak if she didn't eat hamburger?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    lx3tx wrote: »
    Maybe because you raised your kids in a different food environment? Growing up, I was surrounded by cookies and candy and soda. Also huge eaters so I feel like I naturally fell into that. As an adult, I've been around different families where they don't have that stuff around and don't eat as much as my family did. I noticed the kids in those families don't care about food as much either. So maybe environment has some to do with it and maybe not.

This, and in my childhood it was the opposite. We NEVER had goodies in the house and were never indulged with candy outside of halloween and chocolates in our Christmas stockings. So when I grew up and was allowed all I wanted, I went nuts. It's sort of the same thing that happens when you are super authoritarian with your kids: they rebel like crazy. If you found a good middle ground, maybe that explains it.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I think it is most likely a whole combination of different things. Some of it is just habit...how you were raised, how you view food, etc. But I also think some of it...maybe a lot of it...is physical/genetic.

I think some people are just more sensitive to certain substances than others. I think the hormones @GaleHawkins mentioned above almost certainly play a big role. I think some people can eat a food and their body doesn't react (blood sugar, insulin, etc.) much to it. Another person might eat exactly the same thing and have a much stronger reaction, to the point that it influences their hunger or desire to eat more. And I'm not just talking about people with specific conditions like diabetes, I'm talking about two healthy people who just have different sensitivities or tolerances. There might be dozens or hundreds of factors that influence these things.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I think it is most likely a whole combination of different things. Some of it is just habit...how you were raised, how you view food, etc. But I also think some of it...maybe a lot of it...is physical/genetic.

I think some people are just more sensitive to certain substances than others. I think the hormones @GaleHawkins mentioned above almost certainly play a big role. I think some people can eat a food and their body doesn't react (blood sugar, insulin, etc.) much to it. Another person might eat exactly the same thing and have a much stronger reaction, to the point that it influences their hunger or desire to eat more. And I'm not just talking about people with specific conditions like diabetes, I'm talking about two healthy people who just have different sensitivities or tolerances. There might be dozens or hundreds of factors that influence these things.

That was also my point with amylin. Maybe people make more or less, or absorb it differently. There have been studies on leptin, but there is a lack of research on amylin. I wonder why researchers ignore amylin.