Why are some people getting fatter?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I think it is most likely a whole combination of different things. Some of it is just habit...how you were raised, how you view food, etc. But I also think some of it...maybe a lot of it...is physical/genetic.

I think some people are just more sensitive to certain substances than others. I think the hormones @GaleHawkins mentioned above almost certainly play a big role. I think some people can eat a food and their body doesn't react (blood sugar, insulin, etc.) much to it. Another person might eat exactly the same thing and have a much stronger reaction, to the point that it influences their hunger or desire to eat more. And I'm not just talking about people with specific conditions like diabetes, I'm talking about two healthy people who just have different sensitivities or tolerances. There might be dozens or hundreds of factors that influence these things.

That was also my point with amylin. Maybe people make more or less, or absorb it differently. There have been studies on leptin, but there is a lack of research on amylin. I wonder why researchers ignore amylin.

Given that there are 67000+* studies on amylin or amyloid or IAPP, I'd suggest that it isn't being ignored.

*Listed at NCBI.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I was reading this thread yesterday and pondering the questions myself. I also had one child who was a bit overweight and one who was always thin - both boys, both same parents. Same dinners, same activity levels, etc. It's always been a mystery to me. I used to say that my oldest got the "fat" gene from me and the youngest got the "skinny" gene from his dad, who is also thin.

I may have been more on point, than I knew. Interestingly, I just heard on the news this morning (and I quote the reporter) "Researchers have identified a set of genetic DNA variants that boost the brain's reward responses to foods that are high in fat and sugar". Being a quick blurb on the news, they didn't cite where this research took place. I tried to google this but didn't find anything (also didn't spend a great deal of time looking). So, if this is true then that might help to explain why some people just LOVE to eat and crave foods, while others can be satisfied with just a taste.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    some people????....
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    In short there has to develop a major health issue before most people can become obese based on my research and personal experience. At this point I expect a leaky gut is involved in most cases of obesity. I expect most all autoimmune related health issues stems from a leaky gut issue initially. I bet most all of us who found ourselves obese would have had a CRP results >1.

Any time someone uses 'never' or 'always' when talking about health issues I see that as a red flag. My point is human animals can respond very differently to the same foods/environments. Learning and understanding the term 'epigenetics' has been helpful for my grasp on the subject or rather my 'beginning" grasp of the subject. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    In short there has to develop a major health issue before most people can become obese based on my research and personal experience....

So your "research" and personal experience entirely discounts the thought that people can become obese simply from a caloric surplus? That would seem to defy the science of thermodynamics/energy balance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In short there has to develop a major health issue before most people can become obese based on my research and personal experience.

Care to cite something credible to support this? It doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface. I know I can become obese without too much trouble without any health issue causing it.

The extent to which highly-palatable food is cheaply and easily available is quite unusual in human history, and add to that that we have largely gotten rid of many of the cultural prohibitions on how much and how often we eat and also have much less active lives than most people historically would have and it's not exactly shocking that we are able to gain lots of weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why does someone with 350,000 excess calories hanging over their belt and feeling bad about the way they look stand in line to buy a doughnut ? Crack that and you have fixed obesity.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Why does someone with 350,000 excess calories hanging over their belt and feeling bad about the way they look stand in line to buy a doughnut ? Crack that and you have fixed obesity.
    Make donuts taste bad?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I'm definitely in the camp of "people are just different". My mother in law used to say you could have a dozen children and they would all be individuals, and that's a good thing...

My kids (4 and 7) are similar - they can't seem to sit still in a restaurant if their lives depended on it. Actually, it's not just in a restaurant - they have a hard time sitting still at home too. They'd rather be up and moving, or playing electronics or watching TV. I think they are just programmed to constantly be doing something these days, and sitting still and mindfully focusing on their food is just not something they are very good at. We work on it constantly, but I feel like I spend the majority of my dinners telling them to "get back in their seats" or "please just eat your food". I have often wondered what it would be like to have kids that really enjoy food and are voracious eaters. Mine like to snack, they like kid foods, but they eat a pretty good variety of fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. They just don't eat much at any one time, and so sitting still for an entire meal and an entire plateful of food is hard for them.

One of mine really likes dessert, one could take it or leave it. They ask for one piece of Halloween candy after dinner each night this week, and that's it. They don't ask for more. One is normal sized, one is under 10th percentile on the growth charts for height and weight. So no, I don't think there are any specific biological causes, I don't think it was something I did during pregnancy or in their first years of life, I don't think it is to be blamed on fast food or processed foods or school lunches or anything like that.

I just think kids are... kids. Eating is not a priority for them. That's all.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

If the question is why, rather than how do you change it, the answer is simply that shame doesn't tend to work.
    Now, if you want to ask how to do you get that person to stop (which what would really fix obesity), I can't claim to know the answer, but I believe it lies somewhere in region of creating a positive reason to change.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    We're getting fatter because the people around us are getting fatter. We are good at picking up the bad habits of those around us.
  • yarwell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

If the question is why, rather than how do you change it, the answer is simply that shame doesn't tend to work.
    Now, if you want to ask how to do you get that person to stop (which what would really fix obesity), I can't claim to know the answer, but I believe it lies somewhere in region of creating a positive reason to change.

I was shouted at last night along the lines "you think she doesn't want to lose weight" so I don't think its about shame. The victim already wants to lose weight yet is still in the line for the doughnut.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I was shouted at last night along the lines "you think she doesn't want to lose weight" so I don't think its about shame. The victim already wants to lose weight yet is still in the line for the doughnut.

Well if the person wants to lose weight but is still in line for a donut then obviously the "wanting a donut" part had higher priority in their mind than the "wanting to lose weight" part.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Not just a positive reason to change, but one that's sufficiently positive and sufficiently so in the relatively short term. You're probably talking about money. And a non-trivial amount of it.

• lemurcat12
    Options

In what context did this happen? I can't imagine someone in a donut line yelling something to me about wanting to lose weight or not. Did you say something to her?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Not only does shame not work, there are multiple psychological sources that say it has the opposite effect and actually keeps people fat or makes them fatter. There is no route that includes shaming that can have anything but a negative effect on the obesity epidemic as a whole. And thank god for that, what a terrible world that would be.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/11/fat-shaming-doesnt-work-a-new-study-says/

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fat-shaming-actually-increases-risk-becoming-or-staying-obese-new-8C10751491

Note that this doesn't mean just tell obese unhealthy people to stay as they are, so don't anyone even go there. It does mean that SUPPORT paired with empathy and sensitivity works "If you aren't happy as you are, let me show you this cool site, there's lots of help and motivation and I just want to see you happy and healthy" or "Listen, I'm afraid for you. I love you and I'm afraid your health is going down a bad road, let's talk about what we can do babe, I will help you do it. Don't die on me, I still need you"

And this kind of BS doesn't and can even make it worse: "How can you live with yourself this way? Aren't you disgusted?" "You know, you used to be so cute, what happened?" "If I can do it, so can you, why don't you quit whining and just eat less"
  • yarwell
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In what context did this happen? I can't imagine someone in a donut line yelling something to me about wanting to lose weight or not. Did you say something to her?

Watching TV with an obese friend, observing another obese person loading up on calories on the TV.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    In short there has to develop a major health issue before most people can become obese based on my research and personal experience. At this point I expect a leaky gut is involved in most cases of obesity. I expect most all autoimmune related health issues stems from a leaky gut issue initially. I bet most all of us who found ourselves obese would have had a CRP results >1.

Any time someone uses 'never' or 'always' when talking about health issues I see that as a red flag. My point is human animals can respond very differently to the same foods/environments. Learning and understanding the term 'epigenetics' has been helpful for my grasp on the subject or rather my 'beginning" grasp of the subject. :)

I'm not sure about your first point, but +1 on the bolded portion.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Watching TV with an obese friend, observing another obese person loading up on calories on the TV.

So you said "so and so must not want to lose weight," and the friend said "of course she wants to lose weight"?

Weight loss show?