Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• asimmons26
    asimmons26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No, a calorie is not created equal. Your body treats the foods you eat differently. A protein burns slower than a carb. This is because it takes 20% to 30% more energy to burn that calorie. Energy in is just as complex as energy out. You can look it up if you would like.

BMR is not temperature neutral. For every 0.5 degree celsius increase in internal body temperature, the BMR increases approximately 7%. Physical activity significantly increases body temper

Refined carbs are usually something that people easily over eat. This would be your whites (pasta, white bread, etc). The reason is because the body absorbs these simple sugars relatively quickly and a few hours later you are hungry again. The body increases blood sugar, triggers a release of insulin and you eat again. It is MUCH better to get your carbs from fruit, veggies, legumes. These carbs are higher in volume and tends to be more filling.

Butter is another additive people use too much of. While it has fats (trans fat) it is also high in cholesterol. Most butter people consume is also loaded with sodium and induces the need for more. Olive oil is a better alternative since while it still has fats, it actually has additional benefits including lowering ldl and triglycerides, it is rich in antioxidants, especially vitamin e. The fats in olive oil are monounsaturated which doesn't oxidize in the body and its lower in polyunsaturated fat which does oxidize in the body. It also reduces blood pressure. So....why use butter when you can get actual health benefits from olive oil?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    asimmons26 wrote: »
    No, a calorie is not created equal. Your body treats the foods you eat differently. A protein burns slower than a carb. This is because it takes 20% to 30% more energy to burn that calorie. Energy in is just as complex as energy out. You can look it up if you would like.

BMR is not temperature neutral. For every 0.5 degree celsius increase in internal body temperature, the BMR increases approximately 7%. Physical activity significantly increases body temper

Refined carbs are usually something that people easily over eat. This would be your whites (pasta, white bread, etc). The reason is because the body absorbs these simple sugars relatively quickly and a few hours later you are hungry again. The body increases blood sugar, triggers a release of insulin and you eat again. It is MUCH better to get your carbs from fruit, veggies, legumes. These carbs are higher in volume and tends to be more filling.

Butter is another additive people use too much of. While it has fats (trans fat) it is also high in cholesterol. Most butter people consume is also loaded with sodium and induces the need for more. Olive oil is a better alternative since while it still has fats, it actually has additional benefits including lowering ldl and triglycerides, it is rich in antioxidants, especially vitamin e. The fats in olive oil are monounsaturated which doesn't oxidize in the body and its lower in polyunsaturated fat which does oxidize in the body. It also reduces blood pressure. So....why use butter when you can get actual health benefits from olive oil?

Oh well that clears that up, here I thought I was a member of the most mentally advanced species on earth and had that free will and stuff.

"You can look it up if you would like" -This is the celestial teapot argument. If you proclaim there is a celestial teapot hovering between Jupiter and Mars, the onus is on you to go forth and prove it, not everyone else to go forth and disprove it (and treat it as fact until they do).

I won't argue with you about the things you said, refined carbs are over-eaten and such. But I keep coming back to this: "Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall". No. PEOPLE fail at caloric restriction. That is not an indictment of the process, but of the willpower to stick to and complete the process. While it would be unhealthy, a person COULD lose weight eating nothing but the things you refer to as bad, like pasta, bread, and butter. I don't think anyone will argue that you're incorrect in saying "these things are healthier", for most of the stuff you mentioned, but that has nothing to do with CICO. Calories are created equal ENOUGH, that merely eating at a deficit will result in weight loss. And the over 1 million lbs collectively lost by users of MFP is proof enough, although you are welcome to try to find any reliable source that says otherwise in order to prove your point.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Well, if you're going to make such assertions, the onus is on you to provide backup for your claims, which would be peer reviewed medical studies.

When it comes to weight loss, it's strictly calories in, calories out. In other words, if you eat 250 calories of meat or 2590 calories of white pasta, it makes no difference calorie eise, and you will lose the same amount of weight eating either food if you stay in your calorie gaols. However, nutritionally, foods are not the same.

I restrict no foods from my diet, except those I am intolerant yo or don't like, and I'm healtgy. I've list 44 pounds and have kept it off. In fact, I love both olive oil and butter and use both. :) Finally, refined carbs keep me full for a long time.

I
  • asimmons26
    Options
    Just adding to my earlier post. At the beginning of this, I was asked about losing weight and suggesting how to get there. If anyone wants to eat empty calories or not make the most of what they consume then that's their prerogative. My suggestions are healthy choices which are much more beneficial to the body. Your body needs nutrients to feel satisfied and without nutrients you over eat bc your body still hasn't received what it needs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Protein may be more sating than carbohydrates for individuals but they contain the same calories..because a calorie is a unit of measurement. You can look it up if you like :)

BMR is a calculation based in a neutral, non stressful environment environment. It just is, it's not even open to discussion. You are talking about thermic effects of NEAT, TEF, exercise and the overall TDEE

Not everyone overeats refined carbs, particularly those on calorie controlled diets where there are conscious decisions made every day in terms of portion size

butter is an additive? Oh don't get me wrong I like olive oil but butter is just milk ...salt is optional ..butter has different uses and tastes ...it's not the debil
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just adding to my earlier post. At the beginning of this, I was asked about losing weight and suggesting how to get there. If anyone wants to eat empty calories or not make the most of what they consume then that's their prerogative. My suggestions are healthy choices which are much more beneficial to the body. Your body needs nutrients to feel satisfied and without nutrients you over eat bc your body still hasn't received what it needs.

In your perception, what's an empty calorie?

I ask because when I eat any calories I feel full and satisfied.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Your suggestions are great but they are open to debate and some assertions lack scientific basis...that's the issue with "nutrition courses". Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist after an online course.

Empty calories IMO don't exist ...all foodstuffs have a benefit ..now it may be less nutritionally dense but if you've already covered off your macro and micro requirements then the emotional benefits shouldn't be underestimated ...and all food has nutritional benefits on some part of the scale, even if it's just calories
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day

perhaps this works if you're American, but it means nothing to some of your international readers. I should weigh myself in ounces ? divide by 2 ?
  • asimmons26
    Options
    Back to the calories are not equal. This is very simple. You eat 100 calories of French fries and I will eat 100 calories of veggies. Then let's see who has more energy. You can google not all calories are equal and find a ton of information backing this. The information I gave as to not all calories being equal was just a very quick statement without going into complex digestion and energy process of different foods. Your energy level has everything to do with how your lose weight.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Back to the calories are not equal. This is very simple. You eat 100 calories of French fries and I will eat 100 calories of veggies. Then let's see who has more energy. You can google not all calories are equal and find a ton of information backing this. The information I gave as to not all calories being equal was just a very quick statement without going into complex digestion and energy process of different foods. Your energy level has everything to do with how your lose weight.

70+lbs down, and all I do is track calories. I don't include or exclude any foods, I don't drink any water (cuz coffee > water) ..Basically I don't do anything you suggested, but only do the thing you said had a downfall..

Am I doing it all wrong? Were those 73lbs dumb luck??

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

They may not be nutritionally equal. However, I find that a diet that includes the fries and chocolate cake help me maintain a sustainable diet over the long term.

That said, I appreciate your offering your help, but it appears you've got some learning to do - especially seeing as your audience is made up primarily of calorie counters....
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »

70+lbs down, and all I do is track calories. I don't include or exclude any foods, I don't drink any water (cuz coffee > water) ..Basically I don't do anything you suggested, but only do the thing you said had a downfall..

Am I doing it all wrong? Were those 73lbs dumb luck??

And you'd be weightloss soulmate #2 tonight! Does everyone have coffee on the brain today?!?!
  • asimmons26
    Options
    Often referred to as an empty calorie are foods high in calories but very lacking in nutritional value, like fast food. If the harm to your body outweighs the benefits by a long shot then it's what is known as an empty calorie. You can be at a "healthy weight" but have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol,etc bc of the foods in which you choose to consume. Again, backing my statement that calories are not created equal. Have you heard of skinny fat? This is a person who eats within calorie range but not the right foods. This person is not actually healthy and their body fat percentage is of an unhealthy range. I see it all day at the gym training and taking body fat analysts.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,139 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!! I'm a certified personal trainer and weight management coach here to help.

What are your qualifications?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Often referred to as an empty calorie are foods high in calories but very lacking in nutritional value, like fast food. If the harm to your body outweighs the benefits by a long shot then it's what is known as an empty calorie. You can be at a "healthy weight" but have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol,etc bc of the foods in which you choose to consume. Again, backing my statement that calories are not created equal. Have you heard of skinny fat? This is a person who eats within calorie range but not the right foods. This person is not actually healthy and their body fat percentage is of an unhealthy range. I see it all day at the gym training and taking body fat analysts.

In your experience, is the body type you describe due to diet, or due to not working out (specifically challenging resistance training?).

Could you share how long you've been training individuals, and the scope of training you've done? Just asking since you mentioned your experience
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

I agree, healthy foods are healthier. And good health is a great goal. But you're not disputing that a caloric deficit, regardless of food choice, is still going to result in weight loss right?

Also, to what "harm" are you referring? Yes, I am genuinely asking.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Just no. Stop regurgitating bad bro-science.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

You'd have the same "Energy"

You may not have the same nutritional balance from each food but as you well know a 'diet' (as in the food you intake over time) is based on all foods that you eat and not focusing on an individual food in isolation

There are instances I could imagine when 100 calories worth of french fries would actually be more beneficial to an overall diet than 100 calories of vegetables eg when there is inadequate fat to help absorb all those wonderful nutrients in the first place

I just think, and you probably agree, that calling food out as being bad in isolation rather than focusing on the overall diet is not really valid
  • asimmons26
    Options
    I also mentioned that eating these things should be for special occasions not to completely eliminate them. (Original post)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that though I could easily poke holes in some of the comparisons by splitting hairs here, upon further explanation the OP has made some valid points that are in fact backed by science.

Rather than split hairs, I'd suggest that anyone who hasn't seen anything factual in her statements slow down enough to read them, or at least give her a chance to explain in greater detail. Though I firmly believe in CICO as an overall strong point for weight loss, I don't think anyone here would argue that changes in nutritional goals can have a big impact on energy levels, overall health, and long term loss.