What is "woo"

Clearly I'm not that MFP savy..explanation??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It's generally used to describe claims with no foundation in science.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Diet pills, herbal cleanses, wraps. All the things people tell you will drop the weight quick.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Pseudoscience and flimflam, often rooted in wishful and magical thinking.

Usually espoused by those hostile or indifferent to science, reality, logic, and facts. And/or by those out to swindle people who are hostile or indifferent to science, reality, logic, and facts.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Anything in the "Diet" world. Like Raspberry Ketones, That G word, cleanse, Shakeology, etc. Something someone tells you that you need to make money. I'm a big hater of the WOO. I'm that person that succeeded at weight loss without the WOO. If I can do it, everyone can.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2015
    Any of the following in relation to weight loss/fitness advice:

Malarkey

Codswallop

Balderdash

Nonsense
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    "Woo", "derp" and "broscience" are terms that some people use to say that they believe others to be wrong. They base this on their idea of "science", sometimes correctly, sometimes not.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    "Woo", "derp" and "broscience" are terms that some people use to say that they believe others to be wrong. They base this on their idea of "science", sometimes correctly, sometimes not.

What's funny is I bet we have completely different posters in our minds.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015

Obviously, different people have different definitions. Some not as relativistic as others.

A more thorough and appropriate explanation/definition from another thread:
    Woo is a term used among skeptical writers to describe pseudoscientific explanations that have certain common characteristics.
    The term comes from woo-woo, an epithet used in the 1990s by science and skeptical writers to ridicule people who believe or promote such things. This is in turn believed to have come from the onomatopoeia "woooooo!" as a reaction to dimmed lights or magic tricks. The term implies a lack of either intelligence or sincerity on the part of the person or concepts so described.
    As a coincidence, the Chinese word "Wū" (巫) means a shaman, usually with magic powers.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    RGv2 wrote: »

I didn't have anyone in mind. I'm not even sure who all uses the words. I was answering the question. I'd never heard "derp" or "broscience" before I was on MFP and had to ask, myself.

I don't use the words, myself, but it's nice to know what other people mean.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

I have an 8 year old daughter. When I read "derp" I automatically think of MLP.

130232443562.gif?1305073704
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »

I didn't have anyone in mind. I'm not even sure who all uses the words. I was answering the question. I'd never heard "derp" or "broscience" before I was on MFP and had to ask, myself.

You don't know who uses the words, but you're comfortable making statements about why they're using them and whether or not their usage is correct?
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited November 2015
    I have heard that the usage comes from 'wu' the Taoist word for the eternal non-being...or the unknowable part of existence. On the internet it is generally derogatory for anything considered magical by science minded folks. ex. "that woo woo girl just tried to read my palm". I learned this in a shamanism course in college when we were learning about techno-pagans , I tried to find a source to add here to support what I'm saying but I'm not seeing much
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

I have an 8 year old daughter. When I read "derp" I automatically think of MLP.

130232443562.gif?1305073704

I have a brony husband. Same thoughts here.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Gotcha, thanks all!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Alternately, it's often seen in the company of "hoo".

I'll get my coat.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Before I changed the channel (I was watching the previous show and didn't change fast enough before his whow started), Dr. Oz said he has a new way to cook rice so that it has only HALF THE CALORIES!

that's a solid example of woo.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Before I changed the channel (I was watching the previous show and didn't change fast enough before his whow started), Dr. Oz said he has a new way to cook rice so that it has only HALF THE CALORIES!

that's a solid example of woo.

It's not woo to simply take half of the rice you cooked and throw it away...jeez
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    'Woo' is stricter here than among the folks who study things, keep in mind. I got called out for 'woo' but it was about a heavily studied topic, and I made sure to say 'might' and 'may'. I don't mind being called out for it, btw. I like to read how the studies are going, so I'm not getting it from sources that I hate as well (reporting is so, so bad about studies).

Full disclosure: I found some great herbal aids for my GERD to go along with my Rx meds by trolling through the studies, and I've had herbs and minerals help with my glucose levels in the past until I got on Rx meds for that. I don't think it's fair to call it 'woo' if it's being taken seriously in the scientific community, although it certainly can't be called proven at that point. Most things have poor results after studies. So I'm half-woo, y'all ;) But I'm happy to explain my reasoning if it comes up.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Clearly I'm not that MFP savy..explanation??

Broscience, shenanigans, flim flam, snake oil, anything from Dr Oz. Things with no basis in reality. BS. Lies. Anything from a politician...

The list, it goes on and on and on and on and on and...

You read my mind.

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Basically anything "Dr" Oz promotes. What a blowhard.