What is "woo"

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    If you believe in woo, you are wrong and you should feel bad.

That's a pretty poor anti-ontological argument.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

And if you don't know what anti-ontological is, you should feel bad!

(Because if you can dish it, you can take it :grin: )

I don't mind good-natured ribbing about things one bit, btw, y'all. I enjoy it. I do get irritated if people get off on being too mean-spirited, but it is the internet, so that's the way it goes. Thick skin and all that.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

But some posters believe it's much more comforting to say "I'm sure your 30-day, 47-calorie saltine and lemon water detox will work great, we're all different!!1! Go YOU!!!111!!!", rather than pointing out that there's no need to go to such extremes and there are much healthier options which would be far more effective. After all, you could make somebody uncomfortable by pointing out that what they're doing isn't compatible with their goals - and feelz are apparently more important than goals to some.

Right? How does one think it is more helpful to fill their head with more nonsense rather than give them info they can use? I will never understand this.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I didn't say I was trying to define woo.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I did. :wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    If it was meant to inform, they'd use informative words like dangerous, harmful or misleading. They don't use those words.

Personally if I'm going to describe something as woo, using one of those alternatives would lend it far more credence than it deserves.

Where something is unsubstantiated bollocks nonsense then sometimes ridiculing the information is an entirely appropriate response.

When discussing topics, I like to remain civil and void the use of poorly understood and very subjective words. Objective words get the point across without unnecessary belittling of people's legitimate questions.

You'll note that I referred to ridiculing the information, not the individual.

What I have noted is that frequently sticking with a technical explanation of how something works is a fairly reliable method to end up attacked.

Sometimes people merely poison the well...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I didn't say you were trying to define woo.
    It's still a weak argument, and you should feel bad.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am not much in to using the latest buzz words but if someone else wants to use them that doesn't concern me.

However I do feel at times that there are some users here that uses them as a way to elevate themselves by putting others down and making them feel like idiots.

Notice people...I said SOME users...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

But some posters believe it's much more comforting to say "I'm sure your 30-day, 47-calorie saltine and lemon water detox will work great, we're all different!!1! Go YOU!!!111!!!", rather than pointing out that there's no need to go to such extremes and there are much healthier options which would be far more effective. After all, you could make somebody uncomfortable by pointing out that what they're doing isn't compatible with their goals - and feelz are apparently more important than goals to some.

Right? How does one think it is more helpful to fill their head with more nonsense rather than give them info they can use? I will never understand this.

VLCDs and some of the other ridiculous things people consider doing for weight loss (prolonged fasts, etc.) have known, documented deleterious effects upon one's health - yet people will coddle these ideas and feel that telling a poster that doing those things is wrong is being "unsupportive" and "mean". OTOH, nicotine is scientifically proven to blunt the appetite and increase the metabolism, but I'd be willing to bet that if somebody posted a thread saying "I'm going to start smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to lose weight!", they'd be roundly shouted down, told how unhealthy and dangerous smoking is, etc. What's the difference? Either way you're doing something stupid that you shouldn't be doing which is going to adversely affect your health - and nicotine is far more effective than any of Dr. Oz's "miracle fat blasters" that we see proposed/discussed in threads here multiple times every day. I wonder if these same "supportive" posters would blithely chirp "I've never tried it, but good luck on your new routine, I'm sure you'll see great results! Go you, smoke 'em up!".
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »

But some posters believe it's much more comforting to say "I'm sure your 30-day, 47-calorie saltine and lemon water detox will work great, we're all different!!1! Go YOU!!!111!!!", rather than pointing out that there's no need to go to such extremes and there are much healthier options which would be far more effective. After all, you could make somebody uncomfortable by pointing out that what they're doing is a complete waste of money and will do nothing to help them reach their goals - and feelz are apparently more important than goals to some.

Only its not being said like that.

It's been said like that hundreds, if not thousands, of times. After months of addressing the same issues over and over, the topics get labeled as woo because all of the coddling answers were used up long ago.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

VLCDs and some of the other ridiculous things people consider doing for weight loss (prolonged fasts, etc.) have known, documented deleterious effects upon one's health - yet people will coddle these ideas and feel that telling a poster that doing those things is being "unsupportive" and "mean". OTOH, nicotine is scientifically proven to blunt the appetite and increase the metabolism, but I'd be willing to bet that if somebody posted a thread saying "I'm going to start smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to lose weight!", they'd be roundly shouted down, told how unhealthy and dangerous smoking is, etc. What's the difference? Either way you're doing something stupid that you shouldn't be doing which is going to adversely affect your health - and nicotine is far more effective than any of Dr. Oz's "miracle fat blasters" that we see proposed/discussed in threads here multiple times every day. I wonder if these same posters would blithely say "I've never tried it, but good luck on your new routine, I'm sure you'll see great results! Go you, smoke 'em up!".

VLCDs are now in the "woo" bucket?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I thought "woo" was a contraction of "woo-woo" - a belief in the supernatural / occult (like when you are telling a ghost story and say "wooooo") which then morphed into a general term for a belief which is not supported by any kind of meaningful evidence.

Like other users I have been using the term "woo" (actually for me I use "woo woo") for years. However, I have been using it much less in recent times as I do think it now has a derogatory / dismissive association (perhaps unfairly.)

Do some people use it with the intention to personally insult others on the sly? I'm sure they do. Is that how it is used by everyone or the majority of users. Of that I am much less certain and I doubt it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

VLCDs and some of the other ridiculous things people consider doing for weight loss (prolonged fasts, etc.) have known, documented deleterious effects upon one's health - yet people will coddle these ideas and feel that telling a poster that doing those things is being "unsupportive" and "mean". OTOH, nicotine is scientifically proven to blunt the appetite and increase the metabolism, but I'd be willing to bet that if somebody posted a thread saying "I'm going to start smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to lose weight!", they'd be roundly shouted down, told how unhealthy and dangerous smoking is, etc. What's the difference? Either way you're doing something stupid that you shouldn't be doing which is going to adversely affect your health - and nicotine is far more effective than any of Dr. Oz's "miracle fat blasters" that we see proposed/discussed in threads here multiple times every day. I wonder if these same posters would blithely say "I've never tried it, but good luck on your new routine, I'm sure you'll see great results! Go you, smoke 'em up!".

Some people have very legitimate medical reasons for being on VLCDs. You and I might not agree one woo per se but I think we agree that using it for this is less than ideal.

However, I love his/her use of the word deleterious. It'd be great if people could use that instead of the nonsense word 'woo'.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Some people have very legitimate medical reasons for being on VLCDs. You and I might not agree one woo per se but I think we agree that using it for this is less than ideal.

However, I love his/her use of the word deleterious. It'd be great if people could use that instead of the nonsense word 'woo'.

There is a difference in a medically prescribed and supervised diet and the usual VLCDs seen on MFP that are completely self administered, usually based on scientifically devoid reasoning, and are inherently dangerous.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    There is a difference in a medically prescribed and supervised diet and the usual VLCDs seen on MFP that are completely self administered, usually based on scientifically devoid reasoning, and are inherently dangerous.

e.g., "Military Diet", "General Motors Diet", "Cabbage Soup Diet", etc., etc.

Yes, I stand by my statement.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You left out the plethora of "cleanse" and "detox" VLCDs that populate these forums.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

You left out the plethora of "cleanse" and "detox" VLCDs that populate these forums.

Ah, yes. More woo.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Having looked for the etymology of the phrase "woo-woo" I came across this discussion:

What is woo?