Isagenix, Science or Woo?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No one is ganging up, you're simply in the minority of people who think that this product has merit.
  • jamiemerc7
    jamiemerc7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Justify if it makes you happy. I don't live my life for anyone's approval. You don't know where I've been or how far I've come to get here. I'm just trying to make a point that when a person doesn't share the same view as the majority and if that person feels non acceptance that is not a warm welcoming feeling. Happy first fitness day to me!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    jamiemerc7 wrote: »
    Justify if it makes you happy. I don't live my life for anyone's approval. You don't know where I've been or how far I've come to get here. I'm just trying to make a point that when a person doesn't share the same view as the majority and if that person feels non acceptance that is not a warm welcoming feeling. Happy first fitness day to me!

And yet you don't know where any of the rest of us have been either honey, so climb down from your high horse before you get a nose bleed, m'kay?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Actually unless you've tried the product I'm not sure how you can judge it. I've been on it since August Have lost 20 pounds and feel the best I have ever felt. It is easy and convenient to use and the company uses a third party vendor to validate the contents of the shakes vitamins and products being consumed.

Simple; I can judge the effectiveness of 'it' by other people's experiences. A friend a year ago was using the products and lost 25 pounds. As of yesterday they gained it all back +2. What did the individual learn? IDK. My neighbor uses the products and has lost 30+ pounds. How long will the weight stay off? IDK. Is there a high likelihood she regains the weight...probably. Why? If you do not understand what are you doing then the likelihood of repeat performances seems likely. You buy the product, drop the weight, realize it is expensive to maintain use. The companies make a poop ton of cash. So, Individuals like this love the results but just like so many people, when the weight comes back, they get frustrated and move to the next product/latest buzz/item of the year for weight loss. It is part of a $66 billion dollar industry in the US so I am rarely surprised a new product/system/way to lose weight would keep cropping up.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bmaw01 wrote: »
    Lol, Isagenix is not a pyramid scheme. It's called network marketing. When I lived in Thailand I met a few guys in their thirties who made their fortune from network marketing.
    First off what is MLM snake oil second being I've said its my first day here do you think you could be kind and directive without being rude and judge mental? Obviously I've not posted in this forum and obviously I don't know the "proper" starting point. Look back I sure didn't feel that my views were regarded as positive and felt ganged up on and yes that is called bullying. Have a good night!

Call it what you will, it is still a product being sold person to person. There are many levels above the actual sales person and they each get a cut. Their profits depend on how many people each level has under them and how much they sell. MLM isn't always bad as long as the buyer knows what they are getting into. Many good products have been sold via MLM (Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Avon, Fuller Brush, etc) and there is a place for it. On the other hand, many more products have been sold via very aggressive, deceptive marketing. Buyer beware.

"Snake oil" was a common product sold by traveling medicine shows that was supposedly made from the oil in rattlesnake skin. The term has come to mean any dubious product. It was later proven to be mineral oil with some capsaicin and camphor. Looking at the ingredients, it isn't a bad liniment and could help sore muscles. The marketing was the problem because it was sold as a "cure-all" and it was priced much higher than it needed to be. Just like many products like Isagenix. On its own, it might be a decent vitamin/protein supplement (or it may not be, I don't actually know anything about it) but it does not do what its marketing claims it does and it is priced so high because each level of the pyramid needs to make a profit.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCis1wa5LYo
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well that thread turned south fast lol. Saw my future sister in law this last weekend and she's gained weight, didn't ask her about the Isagenix stuff and if she's still doing it because I didn't want to pick at a scab. Thanks for everyone's opinions on it. :)
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    DON'T. I did. Waste of money.

I put into MFP and it came up as under 1200 with some of their meal suggestions. Yet this is the blanket plan no matter your weight, height or medical status.

Also no change in the plan if you exercise?

Crap for the uneducated - I say that someone who once fit the category.
  • tskolney
    tskolney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Woo.

It kinda sounds like a cult.

That's how I feel about every single one of these pyramid scheme programs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    People will always have different viewpoints on just about anything in life, but if you're actually wondering on the "science" of weight loss, Isagenix DOESN'T work without a calorie deficit. And that's something you don't have to pay for.
    As a professional in the business for many years, I've have many a person come to me with the "magic" way they lost with an MLM company only to see them a year or so later and the weight returned. And then they are back at it again with the same MLM company because somehow it worked before, yet unless it can be sustained, weight regain will reoccur.
    Information offered here doesn't have to be accepted. The hope is that it may reach a few people with the same questions and save them the agony of spending money they don't have to an doing a diet that's not necessary to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Seems that if people have their own opinion which differs from the majority then they are bullied here. First day first impression Maybe you should try the product to get some b vitamins in ya and be happy. But knowing your past responses you'd rather bully and be negative. Enjoy

How is disagreement bullying, and how do you know they'd rather bully and be negative if you've only been here for a day? Your post is pretty insulting IMO. You make direct insulting claims about the person whereas nobody descended to ad hominem with you ; concluding, and explaininf why, something you believe in is woo is not personally disrespectful to you, even if that something were your god, let alone a weight loss product...
  • Destiny4_four
    Destiny4_four Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Reading through the posts, it appears that many good points were made. Going back to the original point of science or not, it really depends on if you believe the science behind whey protein.

Isagenix, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and many others all work (for the majority) if you stick to the program. Is calorie restriction a part of each one? yes. It becomes a personal preference as to what you want to substitute in place of more and "bad" calories.

Isagenix relies (personal observation) mostly on whey protein studies, with a "match and replace" meal substitution plan, that in theory gives you most daily essentials through their shakes, snacks and weekly cleanses. Fyi, the cleanses are not "poop" cleanses, they are cellular in nature. Theory, clear toxins from cells and replace with "good stuff" from program.

Have I seen it work, yes. Have I seen people gain weight back, yes. Have I seen people keep the weight off, yes. Most of the difference is staying on the Isagenix maintenance system or some other "good habit" system, not to go back to the old habits that caused and maintained the old weight level.

Full disclosure, as you might have guessed, I am an Isagenix associate. Whether you agree with network marketing or not is not a reason to dislike a product. Either a product can help some/most people or not. In this instance, I have seen it help a reasonable amount of people first hand, but not all. Different things work for different people. If you like your meal replacement and it can help with a reduction of weight and a build up of lean muscle mass, it will work for you, either short term or long term. If you like a different one, or a different approach, that will most likely work too. Commitment is really the key in all of the systems.

Costs. As with most network marketing companies, the costs appear a little high. Most of the time there is no exact product on the "open market" to compare it with. A 30 day program is about $10 per day. The maintenance program is about $3-4 per day. A little pricey, but if you are truly substituting meals for their system it may not seem as bad, and could actually save you money per day depending on your current meal costs.

Network marketing in general: there are some good companies and some really bad ones that give the industry the reputation that it has with most people. Some big supporters: Warren Buffet, Donald Trump and some other famous business authors and entrepreneurs. Some big opponents: David Ackerman, some AG's and FDA if wrongful claims are made about products. Those that are against it are very fanatical against it, as well as those that are for it can act as if they are in a cult. Like everything, it's a personal preference. Not all/not the majority can succeed in this industry, just as they all or most won't succeed in a different industry. Some people are good at certain things and others excel at other things. Lucky for all of us that we have such diversity in all fields.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Reading through the posts, it appears that many good points were made. Going back to the original point of science or not, it really depends on if you believe the science behind whey protein.

Isagenix, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and many others all work (for the majority) if you stick to the program. Is calorie restriction a part of each one? yes. It becomes a personal preference as to what you want to substitute in place of more and "bad" calories.

Isagenix relies (personal observation) mostly on whey protein studies, with a "match and replace" meal substitution plan, that in theory gives you most daily essentials through their shakes, snacks and weekly cleanses. Fyi, the cleanses are not "poop" cleanses, they are cellular in nature. Theory, clear toxins from cells and replace with "good stuff" from program.

Have I seen it work, yes. Have I seen people gain weight back, yes. Have I seen people keep the weight off, yes. Most of the difference is staying on the Isagenix maintenance system or some other "good habit" system, not to go back to the old habits that caused and maintained the old weight level.

Full disclosure, as you might have guessed, I am an Isagenix associate. Whether you agree with network marketing or not is not a reason to dislike a product. Either a product can help some/most people or not. In this instance, I have seen it help a reasonable amount of people first hand, but not all. Different things work for different people. If you like your meal replacement and it can help with a reduction of weight and a build up of lean muscle mass, it will work for you, either short term or long term. If you like a different one, or a different approach, that will most likely work too. Commitment is really the key in all of the systems.

Costs. As with most network marketing companies, the costs appear a little high. Most of the time there is no exact product on the "open market" to compare it with. A 30 day program is about $10 per day. The maintenance program is about $3-4 per day. A little pricey, but if you are truly substituting meals for their system it may not seem as bad, and could actually save you money per day depending on your current meal costs.

Network marketing in general: there are some good companies and some really bad ones that give the industry the reputation that it has with most people. Some big supporters: Warren Buffet, Donald Trump and some other famous business authors and entrepreneurs. Some big opponents: David Ackerman, some AG's and FDA if wrongful claims are made about products. Those that are against it are very fanatical against it, as well as those that are for it can act as if they are in a cult. Like everything, it's a personal preference. Not all/not the majority can succeed in this industry, just as they all or most won't succeed in a different industry. Some people are good at certain things and others excel at other things. Lucky for all of us that we have such diversity in all fields.

Yep, you sell this stuff. Enough said. So people use this junk for the rest of their lives because they will not know how to eat regular. Perpetual income for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Your body doesnt not build toxins in its system. Its why no one can actually point out these toxins. If our bodies had any measureable amoujt of toxin build up it would require hospital detoxification. Outside of that, out bodies are very effecient at eliminating any building through the kidneys and live.

No one doubts whey as effective substance, its a great supplement but it shouldn't be used as a meal replacement as even fortified, lacks a lot of nutrition. Also, it doesn't teach you how to develop an eating pattern that would continue to promote sustainment.
  • Destiny4_four
    Options
    Queen, personally I'd rather see everyone eat better and correctly to regulate their weight and health, but unfortunately the vast majority needs a little help. My fear is that if helpful alternatives aren't offered what state of affairs are we left with then?
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Okay. Can you please explain in detail as to what 'toxins' are removed from the cell and what "good stuff" is put in!
  • Destiny4_four
    Options
    CJ, I can give you the company explanation below and try not to have it sound like a commercial:

"A scientifically formulated, synergistic
    blend of natural cleansing herbs and
    botanicals designed to support whole-body
    cleansing and protect against the effects
    of oxidative stress and harmful toxins.†"
    († These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
    This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.)

HOW IT WORKS: Helps your body naturally detox and
    gently eliminate impurities while
    infusing it with vitamins, minerals, and
    antioxidants. It is not a colon cleanse
    or laxative, but a nourishment product
    aimed to make your cleansing safe and
    effective. The nutrients in Cleanse for
    Life aid your body while it releases toxins
    stored in fat cells into circulation so they
    can be excreted.†
    THREE WAYS TO
    CLEANSE
    14-3011 - 120815
    1. Everyday Cleansing
    (Taking Cleanse for Life daily)
    • Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
    nourish the body and promote better
    health†
    • Antioxidant botanicals support a healthy
    cardiovascular system*†
    • Supports mental clarity†
    2. Deep Cleansing
    (1 or 2 back-to-back Cleanse Days)
    • Supports overall weight maintenance†
    • Supports cellular health and energy
    levels†
    • Supports the release of fat-soluble
    toxins†
    • Provides metabolic system support†
    • Gives the digestive tract a rest, allowing
    it to go into repair mode†
    • Supports immune function†
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Queen, personally I'd rather see everyone eat better and correctly to regulate their weight and health, but unfortunately the vast majority needs a little help. My fear is that if helpful alternatives aren't offered what state of affairs are we left with then?

The vast majority is a bit over stated. You are telling people that their success is beyond their control. Helping people to learn how to eat in a deficit is the best advice one can give for life long success. without supplements.

qscdxronmgtl.jpeg
  • Destiny4_four
    Options
    psulemon, I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but free radicals are (from studies I read) toxins to the body's cells and can be (not talking Isagenix here) reduced by certain things introduced into the body.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »

Okay. Can you please explain in detail as to what 'toxins' are removed from the cell and what "good stuff" is put in!

It's woo, don't believe it. Isagenix wants to believe you have toxins lurking about in your body, it's their business plan. Your liver and kidneys are filters. all your body needs.