I Love Tacos but...

Options
They are so darn high in calories even the soft shell chicken ones, and the worst part is I get mine out of a taco truck and don't know the nutrition info... How do you deal with food when there is no way to figure out calories? Also please Friend me if your looking for friends! I am!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Make them yourself

I've never eaten a taco so what's in it? Bet you could adapt to a lower calorie version
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I love tacos too. I work them in when I can. Can you break the truck ones down into components? You'll still be guesstimating but it might get you closer to their actual impact.
  • poodledoodlepop
    poodledoodlepop Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Make them yourself

I've never eaten a taco so what's in it? Bet you could adapt to a lower calorie version

Really you have never had a taco? Interesting, where are you from?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    That looks quite delicious actually

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2015/04/grilled-chicken-tacos-with-lettuce-slaw.html

Although I would have thought the shell would immediately disintegrate on first bite ...so I'd go for a wrap or tortilla
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Make them yourself

Really you have never had a taco? Interesting, where are you from?

I'm English :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I like fajitas ..it's not like we don't have the food here ..we don't have taco vans though generally

Although I saw a burrito van in my local street market today so there's that
  • poodledoodlepop
    Options
    Do you watch coronation street?!? My favorite bbc show!
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Do you watch coronation street?!? My favorite bbc show!

Used to ...not for a few years...and now I barely recognise any of the characters

I grew up in Manchester, where it's based ...there are terraced streets like that (not where I lived but probably 20 minutes away)
  • poodledoodlepop
    Options
    Jealous!!!!!
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Make them yourself

+100

I make a ground turkey version
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    i-cant-promise-you-the-world-but-i-can-promise-you-this-i-will-buy-you-tacos-and-touch-your-butt-be159.png
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Jealous!!!!!

That strikes me as funny ...it rains a lot, you never see that on the TV

...cos Manchester :bigsmile:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    All this time, I never knew tacos had to be high in calories.

Easy on the cheese, easy on the sour cream. Lettuce, tomato, jalapeños, salsa, etc. have almost no calories.

If you're really hungry, maybe consider one large one rather than two smaller ones if that saves calories on the tortillas.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I could eat tacos all day! I do rough guesstimates when there isn't info readily available. I'll look for entries that "sound" about right and use them.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    They don't really need to be high calorie at all. Save some on the shell/wrap if you can. Like, eat most of the filling with a fork and only eat half the tortilla. Or get a bowl without the tortilla, and have a side of chips to dip a few in the filling. Easy on the sour cream, avocado, cheese. Have as much lettuce, onions, salsa and meat as you like. Maybe make them at home a couple times to see how much 2 oz of shredded meat really looks.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Agree, make your own.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Make your own.
    Watch the toppings. Meat and vegetables and a tortilla aren't so bad. It is the cheese, guacamole and sour cream that pile on the calories.
    Have a taco salad if the shell or tortilla is too many calories for you. Still tasty.
    Find a similar item from another restaurant if you are looking for nutrition information.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    They aren't terrible, I use ground turkey and use hard shells
    2oz ground turkey 60 cal
    1 ortega hard shell 60 cal
    lettuce 10 cal
    14 grams cheese 55 cal
    Jalepeno 10 cal
    30 grams light sour cream 40 cal
    32 grams Ortega taco sauce 20 cal
    Ortega Taco Seasoning 15 cal
    270 per taco

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It's amazing!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    My favorite memehdjct1m9xix4.jpeg