I Love Tacos but...

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Try substituting the shell with Lettuce for lettuce wraps. Surprisingly delicious, and way less calories (will keep the carbs down). I felt so much better after tacos with lettuce instead of the hard or soft shells.

This is lettuce with meat - not a taco. Maybe call it a spring roll or something.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Fun fact: Taco Bell invented the hard taco shell, not Mexicans. I was seriously disappointed to learn that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWSOiZrs3oA
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Yo quiero Taco Bell.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: Taco Bell invented the hard taco shell, not Mexicans. I was seriously disappointed to learn that.

umm, don't think that's right. "Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various styles of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada.[13] An early appearance of a description of the taco in the United States in English was in a 1914 cookbook, California Mexican-Spanish Cookbook, by Bertha Haffner Ginger.[14] The style that has become most common is the hard-shell, U-shaped version described in a cookbook, The good life: New Mexican food, authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1949"
    Freedman, Robert L. (1981). Human food uses: a cross-cultural, comprehensive annotated bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. p. 152. ISBN 0-313-22901-5. Retrieved 27 December 2011.

Taco Bell popularized it, but did not invent it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited November 2015
    Options
    threadmad wrote: »

umm, don't think that's right. "Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various styles of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada.[13] An early appearance of a description of the taco in the United States in English was in a 1914 cookbook, California Mexican-Spanish Cookbook, by Bertha Haffner Ginger.[14] The style that has become most common is the hard-shell, U-shaped version described in a cookbook, The good life: New Mexican food, authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1949"
    Freedman, Robert L. (1981). Human food uses: a cross-cultural, comprehensive annotated bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. p. 152. ISBN 0-313-22901-5. Retrieved 27 December 2011.

Taco Bell popularized it, but did not invent it.

Well, whatever it is that she called a taco was something else ... maybe a 'flauta' but not the a taco and not a U shaped Taco Bell thingamabob.

It looks oddly like a ... on a shell.
    bertha_haffner_ginger.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Flautas are round and closed. And smaller.

Hard shell tacos are, indeed, tacos, even if inferior.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Flats are round and closed.

We are going to have a difference of opinion, Tex. My Mexican soul says this is a taco:

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

Notice the corn tortilla (not flour), no american cheese, no guacamole, no cream, no iceberg lettuce.

(yes, flautas are round and closed - usually chicken, I was referring to the idea of fried. Tacos are not fried.)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I make tacos starting with 95% lean beef - with the sauce and seasoning, the beef doesn't get dry or flavorless as can be a risk with such lean beef.

I make the meat the star of the show - I go easy on everything else, and eat a whole lot of meat for not a whole lot of calories. Even half a pound (pre-cooking weight) of 95% lean beef is only about 300 calories, and it's a lot of meat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    We are going to have a difference of opinion, Tex. My Mexican soul says this is a taco:

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

Notice the corn tortilla (not flour), no american cheese, no guacamole, no cream, no iceberg lettuce.

(yes, flautas are round and closed - usually chicken, I was referring to the idea of fried. Tacos are not fried.)

that's how tacos tend to look in my neck of the woods...i tend to see more white corn than yellow though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

Drooling, here.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

This looks so yummy!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

I live in Chicago and this is how tacos look like when you go to an authentic (not tex-mex) Mexican restaurant around here! You have to specifically ask for the "american version" with cheese, sour cream, and veggies.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

Yes, that's a taco. I like the yellow corn and cilantro, but it's otherwise sadly lacking.

ETA: It needs some queso fresco and pico de gallo, imo. I wouldn't turn it down, though.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited November 2015
    Options

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

Yes, that's a taco. I like the yellow corn and cilantro, but it's otherwise sadly lacking.

ETA: It needs some queso fresco and pico de gallo, imo. I wouldn't turn it down, though.

ok, queso fresco would be fine. And the pico de gallo o salsa verde is something you would add yourself before eating. But I agree with you.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    That's it! I'm having tacos tonight! I might even have 2 or 3!

I started my day by not logging ... I'm getting alllllll the taco fixings fo' sho'.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

lengua_tacos%2B005b.jpg

ok, quest fresco would be fine. And the pico de gallo o salsa verde is something you would add yourself before eating. But I agree with you.

I love a good pico (salsa fresca)...most places i get tacos do put some queso fresca on there, but it's usually just a pinch...i hate when my taco is drowning in cheese...i'm all about the barbacoa.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    *wanders off to put chicken and chipotles into the crockpot*

Barbacoa is AMAZING. I did find a decent copycat recipe awhile back, but compared to the price of chicken I typically cannot justify getting beef often. :neutral:

This may be totally unacceptable, but I think I'm going to shred cabbage to put in my taco tonight. Nom!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I will never live in a world without tacos. That would be unacceptable.

I usually make mine at home, but when buying them out...I just do a nice calorie estimate.

As a vegetarian, it took me a wee bit to make a version that was similar to the tacos I had growing up, but I made one that is basically the same, but no meat and healthier.

We have a vegan taco truck here and I go there often. Yum!!

What do you use for the filling, Shell? The Beyond Meat crumbles?

I will be making tacos this week, methinks.