I Love Tacos but...

Options

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Also: street tacos are usually the best, just one or two steamed corn tortillas, your choice of meat, and finely minced minced onion & cilantro. Out west they never come with cheese and a drizzle of cream is only on request. They end up being a terrific protein & the carb is whole grain. Plus raw onion & cilantro have lots of fresh nutrients. I like hard shell tacos too. I just work them in when the mood strikes. A life without tacos now & again seems grim.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Also: rock your homemade taco world by subbing chorizo for ground meats or learn to make a crockpot version of carnitas or shredded beef.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make a taco salad type of thing where I take one hard shell and break it up, add the meat, cheese, veggies and salsa all to a bowl and eat that. I can sit and eat about 6 tacos, but this way I can still eat a big bowl full, but only have one or two shells. The hard ones are only about 60 calories each, so it's not all that bad. I don't do sour cream, so that never goes on my tacos anyway.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I really want tacos now. I agree, making your own so that you control what goes into them is the way to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i eat tacos all of the time living here in New Mexico...i don't find them to be particularly high calorie.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I buy regular corn tortillas, 50 calories each. I heat it up in a pan, almost toasting it which gives it a nice firm texture without being crunchy. Then I load them up with avocado, lettuce, tomato, green onions, a sprinkling of cheese and hot sauce. So healthy, easy and delicious.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    That's it! I'm having tacos tonight! I might even have 2 or 3!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If it's got a hard shell it isn't a taco.

You can have something great without cream cheese, that awful yellow cheese or guacamole.
    Tortilla, carne asada, salsa verde, coriander. Done.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i eat tacos all of the time living here in New Mexico...i don't find them to be particularly high calorie.

I also don't find them particularly high calorie.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Tacos are one of my own go-to diet meals.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Make them yourself

I've never eaten a taco so what's in it?
    Bet you could adapt to a lower calorie version

this is the saddest story i've ever heard
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: Taco Bell invented the hard taco shell, not Mexicans. I was seriously disappointed to learn that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't find them high in calories either. Got some for a taco truck and they were small and I'd be shocked if it was more than 200-250 calories per taco.

Corn shells/tortillas, lean meat, veggies, salsa, light on the cheese, it's very easy to male them low calories too.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above.

Tacos are delicious
    Tacos are a great way to get a serving or two of veggies
    The cheese, sour cream, and tortillas tend to be the biggest calorie offenders, so go easy on the cheese, use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and corn tortillas instead of flour. Or if you're really short of calories, skip the tortilla altogether and make a taco salad type creation
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I eat tacos at least once a week, it's actually one of my low calorie dinner go-to plan. Stay away from a combination of sour cream, cheese, and heavy on the meat. Do meat, one dairy (easy) and the rest veggies/salsa. Corn tortillas are only 50 cals each and you really only need one if you aren't loading up the fillings anymore. When I buy them from a food truck or restaurant I look up the nutritional information from a popular restaurant chain and use that. Not perfect but it's better to over estimate than under.

rabbitjb wrote: »
    Make them yourself

I've never eaten a taco so what's in it? Bet you could adapt to a lower calorie version

Oh no :( No tacos??? You, ma'am, need to try one asap! There are all different types, my favorite is grilled fish tacos with purple cabbage slaw. https://blueapron.com/recipes/crispy-fish-tacos-with-salsa-verde-red-cabbage-slaw
  • shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I live in New Mexico too! :) hurray for tacos from the dirty southwest! :)
  • maddierisley
    maddierisley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try substituting the shell with Lettuce for lettuce wraps. Surprisingly delicious, and way less calories (will keep the carbs down). I felt so much better after tacos with lettuce instead of the hard or soft shells.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    we love taco tuesdays in our house. I just make them healthy. I get 90/10 lean ground beef (i get ground turkey when i can but my husband and son prefer the beef). I like mine more like a taco salad. If i want the crunch ill crunch up 1/2 a taco shell on top. I personally usually skip the sour cream and shedded cheese. Or I just go really light. I would say you rarely have to stop eating your favorite food. Some people allow it in the calories for the day; i prefer to make healthier versions so i can eat a decent portion and eat well the rest of the day too. (my calories are set to 1200 while i am loosing )
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm really buckling down, I'm just trying to avoid eating foods I haven't made myself. Tonight will be an exception, a family event, but I'm just making my best guesses. You can make you own best guesses based on what's in there. If there's cheese and sour cream, you can bet there's probably more than one serving of each but I'm one who prefers to over estimate than under.