Gloom, despair, and agony on me

Options
13»

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    There's more to it than this, but I'm on my phone...

My quick and dirty answer: download a funny podcast van walk each day or evening. Also, make one small change. This didn't happen in a week or month. It will tak a long time to undo. But what's your option? Keep going as you are?!? You're worth so much more than that :)
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    fatgottago wrote: »
    @bluestarlight19 That is great. 23 pounds!!!!! I think I would like a fitbit! Maybe I will buy it for myself for Christmas, heck this Christmas I will give myself a gift ...losing 10 pounds. There folks that is my goal. Lose 10 pounds by Christmas!!!!!!!! That is doable.

Beware of setting yourself a target like that, I know that 10lbs doesn't sound that much when you put it along side your current 250 but that's over a 1lb a week. Now, not saying that isn't doable because it is but that will be quite a cut in calories from what you are use to.

A lot of people end up giving up on losing weight because they try to drop weight quickly, don't like going from eating whatever they like to much smaller portions, then give up when they feel miserable.

I would personally start with aiming to lose 0.5lbs a week. There is only 6 weeks until Christmas (holy crap!!!) Just get your head around logging and weighing everything and that means EVERY SINGLE thing, all drinks, all oils, all marg, all sauces. You will find things that you can cut out easily, high calorie items which you don't really care about.

Before you know it it will be holiday time, DON'T beat yourself up during this time about eating and drinking, or feeling like you can't enjoy it because you can. Have bits of everything, just smaller amounts. If you are having a drink, have a large glass of water between drinks to slow down the amount of booze.

Have small portions of Christmas cake and chocs etc. If you can still weigh everything, if you can't take a best guess but STILL log it.

You are changing your entire life it took a long time to get to where you are now and it will also take time to get to where you want to be, but you can and you will get there.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

I like to online shop and put all the things I'd like to buy in the shopping cart in the size that I am now or that I want to be next. I don't actually purchase it, but it's fun to dream...

You are exactly right.... all I do right now is work. I work two jobs and I am going to school. I don't have any excitement in my life so I actually look forward to turning the DVD on and eating at night to wind down.... BAD HABITS .

I know its a bad time of the year to start dieting but why wait?

Anytime of the year is a good time to lose weight. <3
    Start today/ Thursday.
    Get enough sleep.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm not diagnosing you from your few posts, but you do sound depressed, and therapy can help with that. Also exercise - it's actually as or more effective that anti-depressants for mild to moderate depression.

Actually, cognitive behavioral therapy to help you learn new ways to relate to food could be helpful.

I feel depressed. I usually can pull myself out of it! I have been this way for awhile. Heck if I talk to someone they will commit me LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just need to remember what is important and get off this pity party. I will be ok and you are right exercise will help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

You have the wrong mindset. If you even jokingly think this, then you need therapy.
    If you were ok being overweight, or had an attitude of "would be nice to be thinner" but not really letting it affect your life, it would be different. But this does not sound like the case here.
    I have no idea why you think that the suggestions to talk to a therapist were a joke. It is not something "crazy" people who need to be committed do. It is a tool to help "normal" people deal with emotional and/or behavioural problems that are giving them a hard time. If you have been struggling with it for 30 years and if it was as simple as "snapping out of it", you would have done it a long time ago. A therapist can give you the tools to take control over this.
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    [

You're really pretty and you're not disgusting.

That is kind of you to say. Thank you. I shouldn't let someone make me feel bad about myself. I know this. It is just hard some time.

• fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @aggelikik I wasn't making fun of therapy. I was just trying to make the conversation lighter. I haven't been depressed for 30 years, I have been overweight for 30 years. I am sure it would help me. I had a bad day yesterday. It was horrible. I am much better today. Thank you for the concern.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    @aggelikik I wasn't making fun of therapy. I was just trying to make the conversation lighter. I haven't been depressed for 30 years, I have been overweight for 30 years. I am sure it would help me. I had a bad day yesterday. It was horrible. I am much better today. Thank you for the concern.

I think the therapy is more for the food and self esteem than the depression, in this case.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you just start doing it. You know the basics, plan your meals for tomorrow. Read, a lot. I spend a ton of time on these forums and honestly its keeping me motivated just because everytime I hit a bump myself, I can see true and real experiences of others who have had the exact same struggle and made it through.

I used to say 250 was my limit. The first time I hit it I was 16 :/ I just wasnt mature enough to see how it was within my control and I do know that now. I hit 316 and finally woke up two years ago and lost 100lbs, only to gain 50 back :/ its discouraging at first but then I come back to the facts: I had the control and I chose to stop exercising and I chose to let my stress and depression make those decisions for me. I know enough now that there are no excuses. I either do it or I dont. And I chose to do it. You have to make it that simple.

I would sit and write for two hours at a time coming up with plan after plan, and the second I slipped I gave up only to repeat it again two weeks later. I realized I had to stop with this idea that I need a huge 8 week plan. So with the knowledge I have gained from my experiences (read: failures!) And from this website I just take it one day at a time. I plan out my meals at least in the morning if not the night before, and give myself a variety of activities to chose from for exercise given what I think I will have the energy for and what sounds fun.

Just as an example, I ate too many servings of bread with my pasta last night and served myself too much chocolate at snack time. I woke up to a 2lb gain and I felt those same "give up, it isnt worth all this stress to not see the results!" Feelings I have felt so many times before. Instead of giving up I came online and read one of the many many many "weight loss isnt linear!!" Posts and remembered that one day isnt enough to break me. I logged all the food even though I had gone over (used to hide and avoid all evidence of over eating) and I told myself to buck up and get back on the horse and meet my goals for today. Im not restricting like I used to, used to not eat the next day to cancel out the overage. Today I will make sure to only have one serving of my carb choice and just half a serving of a treat.

I feel time and this website have helped me grow to this point. So I hope reading this helps you come away from a powerless feeling and moves you toward action. It doesnt have to be 1200 calories and a ton of exercise, it doesnt have to be painful or stressful if you dont let it. Plan well and take each day as it comes, the time will pass anyway so you might as well take some baby steps and be closer to your goals with the time instead of deciding 260 or 270 or 280 is your new limit. Do it now.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You are right! I get bummed out and just give up within a week. I started today. I know that being lonely and eating late at night is the culprit. Maybe I can stop that and start exercising?

. Dont wait till your health is compromised. Do it because you love yourself and your health is important to you.....and your family. Sorry I wrote a novel but this just really touched home for me.

Thank you for that! I have to remember this is so much more than how I look... I am so SORRY you are going through this! Add me as a friend and maybe we can encourage each other. My problem is I forgot so easy of why I started. I am hoping for a good outcome for you!!!! Thank you for replying.

Add me too! Honestly the best way not to forget is to always be on it. I pre log every morning but check my log before every meal. Honestly it sounds kinda crazy but I think about my goals all day. Everytime i look in the mirror I force myself to smile and make eye contact with myself (something low self esteem has always had me avoiding) and I say something nice. Usually if there isnt something specific on my mind I will say to myself "youre getting there! Look at you, trying so hard! Good job" gosh its silly but it really helps so much. I end up doing this a lot because I drink a ton of water and ned to use the restroom a lot. I also tend to check the forums and see if anyone needs help, because I feel that helping others will keep me focused as well.

You really can do it. Look at all of us trying right along with you!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    "People only change when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing"

If you haven't done it yet, it's because you aren't ready to commit to doing it. If you were, nothing can stand in your way.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I learned a troubleshooting technique that helped take the agony out of change. Change is hard. I recommend this manual.

http://www.amazon.ca/Living-Healthy-Life-Chronic-Conditions/dp/1933503017

Trying to stay focused on a long term goal for months and years is very difficult. I suggest a couple of easy goals over the next two weeks to get you started.

First of all, get yourself a food scale and start weighing and logging your food for two weeks. This is knowledge.
    Second, make a list of different things you can do in the evening instead of lonely-eat. Then pick one or two and try that strategy for the next two weeks.

At the end of two weeks, review what you have learned and decide if you want to continue with what you started, or if you are ready to change something else. If evaluate, change, and review becomes your new habit, you have a way of sustaining change in the months that it will take to give you a new life.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/in-it-for-the-long-haul-focus-722409
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Make it easy. Just fill out the profile, set your goal fairly low. You sound to me like you are making it too hard.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, a lot of us have felt similar despair and frustration. The fact that you're on MFP is a great place to start. I agree with the above poster who suggested filling out your profile and setting your goal. It can be very intimidating to look at an end/near-end goal, so maybe try small things at first? People use different methods to make sure their calorie intake is at a deficit, you might need to try a couple of methods until you find one that works for you. I used to be an emotional eater, too, it was a tough habit to break!

Plus, for a really long time, I had a "what's the point, I can't do it" attitude, which was a whole other problem. To start out, (and this isn't necessary at all, just something that helped me get the ball rolling!) I stopped drinking calories and only drank plenty of water. Then, I played with portion control. When I struggled with that, I experimented with different foods and learned a lot about what keeps me satisfied and less prone to emotional eating. After some time, I kind of retrained myself to do something rather than snack/eat, little things that required minor activities. I didn't even bother at all with any type of exercise until about a month in, and then it was just walking for another month. As the weight drops, activities became easier (and more desirable!) to do.

It's been a bunch of little steps, slow and steady, and a lot of learning about self-discipline, which ends up permeating other things, not just eating and weight management...things that helped with self-esteem quite a lot. You can do this, you've taken a first step, now keep stepping. ♥
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You are right! I get bummed out and just give up within a week. I started today. I know that being lonely and eating late at night is the culprit. Maybe I can stop that and start exercising?

Sweetheart, you gotta want it, and it won't happen until you really want to lose weight.

From you original posting, it sounds like you are nearing that really want to place.

Start logging food just to get an idea of how much you're eating.

Set up your goals in MFP and take it a day at a time to stay within those goals.

The bottom line is if you eat at a calorie deficit you will loseweight.

You can do this!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to work from several angles. Yes, therapy; someone you trust. Yes, diet; but food that you love, not food that makes you sad. And yes, exercise - but again, something you love and will stick with - not something that's torture. Maybe that's zumba. Maybe it's boxing. But you gotta look around to see what's out there.

I also like to read fitness magazines and self help books so I'm never out of the loop. Fitness and health can't take a back seat if the books are around and healthy food is at work and at home !!!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Well maybe I'm oversimplifying but the way life works for me is action. If I eait for motivation, I don't do anything. Motivation comes from momentum. And the good news is momentum comes from little steps.

I can't lose 10 lbs. even. But i can log my food, and see if i can stay eithin calorie goal. Just point nose and see whst happens.

This is actually fun on some days.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Do you think you are sabotaging yourself without knowing it? I agree you may want to speak with a counselor. This may not be a food problem but rather a fear of success problem.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    First of all, cut yourself some slack! If this was such an easy thing to do, this website wouldn't exist ;)

The good thing about struggling with the same thing for so long is that you have probably set up some routines and habits that are not conducive to your goals. Why is this a good thing? Because you now have a blueprint for what doesn't work. Different things work for different people, and you will need to experiment with what works for you. I am one of the people who works best with small changes. I can keep up a crash diet and extreme exercise for awhile, but then I get burned out. This time around I am investing the time to truly make one change at a time.

I also have issues with depression. I have found regular exercise to have the biggest effect on this. I see a counselor too, which has helped me straighten out some other issues.

My advice would to make one very small, manageable change a week. At the end of the week, evaluate that change. Is it beneficial? Is it sustainable? Adjust if necessary, and move on to the next change. About a month ago, I started trying to drink a gallon of water a day. This was hard for me because I rarely drank anything other than coffee. The biggest change took me by surprise: my skin! I have always had acne, but if I stick to a gallon of water a day, it stays pretty clear.

This week my small change has been logging my food. I have done this in the past, and it is really the only way I lose weight. But it is hard to stick with for me. I am 2 days in and doing good though!

Keep your chin up, and good luck!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My advice? Do one thing that's different and start from there. If you succeed at one thing, you'll try something else, and it'll snowball. But you have to try one thing to get started.

I started not by dieting, but by quitting smoking. I felt fantastic achieving that. It gave me a massive boost. But I was worried about gaining weight from quitting smoking. So I then decided to start to do daily exercise. Nothing big. I didn't join a gym. I just started to walk each day. Brisk walking with purpose, the type where after half an hour you're sweating. I knew I would feel stupid going to the park to walk. Stupid, fat, and out of breath and red faced. Too embarrassing. So I walked inside my home. Then I walked in my garden. This all felt good. I borrowed an exercise bike from a friend and started to use that.

Big achievements, small achievements ... they build up. Only then did I start to think that may be I could do something about my weight, which is why I'm here, trying this next thing.

Choose your first thing and good luck!