Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    No one here has actually said that what you eat doesn't matter (although it matters for health and satiety and energy level). Once again, that NOT what a calorie is a calorie means. Foods are different. Calorie is not a synonym for food.

And drinking a case of diet soda in a day is a weird thing to do and possibly not good for you (I have no idea, as it's not something I've ever contemplated), but it's not going to cause you to gain weight, if that's what you are speculating. How could it?

It's a matter of semantics and context. Yes, a calorie is a calorie and just means a unit of energy. In layman's terms, I consume food and beverages, not calories, not energy. So I personally have a hard time not critiquing a calorie without judging the food it comes with, if that makes sense. Then again, that too may be absurd like my earlier comparison :s

you seem to completely ignore context and dosage in your posts...

you have to look at a diet in it's entirety for proper context. saying a cookie is bad, for example, is stupid...because having a cooking within the context of a well balanced an nutritious diet is just fine.

diets can be good or bad depending on their overall nutritional profile...but isolating a singular food item as good or bad in and of itself without regard to context or dosage is just silliness.

While I agree that it is the overall diet that matters, I disagree that it's stupid or silly to say a food is bad when it offers nothing/little in the way of necessary nutrients. Calling the foods that contribute to satisfaction more than nutrition "bad" is pretty common usuage. Thinking that all foods are equal seems completely stupid and silly to me. And if they are not equal then some must be better (good) than others (bad).

Better or worse depends entirely on context.

For example, for glycogen replenishment, Cap'n Crunch is far superior to broccoli

Cap'n Crunch is fortified with a lot of nutrients so it wouldn't be nutrient poor food.
    Holy Dunning Krueger Batman!

Replace Cap'n Crunch with sugar packets and the point still stands
    But if it is superior then it is "good". And how can there be good without bad?

Sigh. Once again for the slow kids:

Context.

In the aforementioned case, broccoli downright sucks for glycogen replenishment. Does this make broccoli objectively bad?

Unable to argue without insults yet calls others slow.

If people want to talk in general terms instead of diving into the weeds with every thought there is nothing silly or stupid about that. It's normal and natural.

Saying "A hug is good" is a perfectly fine statement, even though a hug from someone with a highly communicable disease is not good.

All that means is that "A hug is good" implies circumstances that do make a hug good, creating its own tautology.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Just as a reminder, a calorie is a measurement. Like 1 foot = 12 inches. 100 calories of anything = 100 calories of anything else. I don't understand why people argue about that.

What some of you are arguing about is the CO part of CICO. Not CI.

I do think there is a difference in eating 100 calories of carrots versus 100 calories of pure granulated sugar. For one thing, the carrots have lots of fiber. While carrots have a lot of sugar in them, the sugar will be released slowly into your system. The carrots are friendly to the body. On the other hand, 100 calories of sugar is just immediately released into your body. You get a huge sugar high, and all kinds of interesting things happen, such as spiked insulin immediately.

So, it's confounding, right? A calorie is a measurement, and in terms of energy, they are equal. But, in terms of biology, they are completely different.

Ya, I have no problem with whole apples but get too big a sugar hit too fast from apple juice and feel sick after drinking it, so in this case, for me, 100 calories of whole apples is better than 100 calories of juice, which I no longer drink. (An actual serving size for me is probably 4 ounces of either.)

51089abc99a7afcc776a85c3842af0ce.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    And if they are not equal then some must be better (good) than others (bad).

Another nonsensical statement.

Does red=blue? Of course not. So by your rationale, one must be objectively better than the other.

Of course.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    No one here has actually said that what you eat doesn't matter (although it matters for health and satiety and energy level). Once again, that NOT what a calorie is a calorie means. Foods are different. Calorie is not a synonym for food.

And drinking a case of diet soda in a day is a weird thing to do and possibly not good for you (I have no idea, as it's not something I've ever contemplated), but it's not going to cause you to gain weight, if that's what you are speculating. How could it?

It's a matter of semantics and context. Yes, a calorie is a calorie and just means a unit of energy. In layman's terms, I consume food and beverages, not calories, not energy. So I personally have a hard time not critiquing a calorie without judging the food it comes with, if that makes sense. Then again, that too may be absurd like my earlier comparison :s

you have to look at a diet in it's entirety for proper context. saying a cookie is bad, for example, is stupid...because having a cooking within the context of a well balanced an nutritious diet is just fine.

diets can be good or bad depending on their overall nutritional profile...but isolating a singular food item as good or bad in and of itself without regard to context or dosage is just silliness.

While I agree that it is the overall diet that matters, I disagree that it's stupid or silly to say a food is bad when it offers nothing/little in the way of necessary nutrients. Calling the foods that contribute to satisfaction more than nutrition "bad" is pretty common usuage. Thinking that all foods are equal seems completely stupid and silly to me. And if they are not equal then some must be better (good) than others (bad).

For example, for glycogen replenishment, Cap'n Crunch is far superior to broccoli

Cap'n Crunch is fortified with a lot of nutrients so it wouldn't be nutrient poor food.

Context.

In the aforementioned case, broccoli downright sucks for glycogen replenishment. Does this make broccoli objectively bad?

If people want to talk in general terms instead of diving into the weeds with every thought there is nothing silly or stupid about that. It's normal and natural.

Saying "A hug is good" is a perfectly fine statement, even though a hug from someone with a highly communicable disease is not good.

All that means is that "A hug is good" implies circumstances that do make a hug good, creating its own tautology.

Yet how many people would say I was being silly or stupid for saying "A hug is good."?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member

It makes total sense. If you want a healthy diet, you need to choose a variety of healthy foods. If you want to stay full, you'll want to pick more low-cal food over tiny amount of high-cal food.

Saying that people can lose weight eating nothing but chocolate isn't the same thing as suggesting that it's a good idea. As far as energy goes, a calorie is a calorie, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't make smart choices regarding their diet.

Some people aren't all that interested in nutrients, though. They want to lose weight and that's it. They don't care about macros, micros, any of that. They just want to be thin. That's cool! That's their priority right now.

I'm with you on the whole "I'm trying to make smart choices" thing, but I also get that different people have different priorities and desires.

Different strokes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

It makes total sense. If you want a healthy diet, you need to choose a variety of healthy foods. If you want to stay full, you'll want to pick more low-cal food over tiny amount of high-cal food.

Saying that people can lose weight eating nothing but chocolate isn't the same thing as suggesting that it's a good idea. As far as energy goes, a calorie is a calorie, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't make smart choices regarding their diet.

Some people aren't all that interested in nutrients, though. They want to lose weight and that's it. They don't care about macros, micros, any of that. They just want to be thin. That's cool! That's their priority right now.

I'm with you on the whole "I'm trying to make smart choices" thing, but I also get that different people have different priorities and desires.

Different strokes.

To the bolded - next time you find one of these people in the forums, can you please tag me into the thread? Other than the people who truly have issues with disordered eating, I cannot think of anyone I've seen here that isn't at all interested in nutrients, wants to lose weight with no regard to overall health, and just wants to be thin. Are people saying that, or are you gleaning that from their diary, or where does that info come from? This is a genuine question.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    For example if I ate 1,200 calories of chocolate would I loose weight a lot lower than if I ate 1,200 calories of something healthy like fruit and vegetables? I mostly eat healthily but have had a few weeks of eating not so healthy things (still within my calorie allowance) and wanted to know what kind of effects this has.

U would lose the same amount of weight no matter what u eat but remember weight loss is just one part of the puzzle. If u continued to eat junk all day, your body will eventually run sluggish. You could end up with heart disease, liver disease, poor autoimmune response to name a few. Think of your body as a car that will run on any grade gas but will run at its best on high octane fuel. Eat a balanced diet to feel your best. Don't get taken in by dieting fads such as no carb or high protein diets. U will end up weaker and possibly destroy your health. Just do what people have been doing all along, eat a well balanced diet and reward yourself with your favorite foods as a snack. Exercise is also a necessary part of the equation. U don't have to become obsessed with exercise but don't sit around all day watching cable and expect to feel your best. Good luck, you can do this!

Technically that is incorrect!

You would lose more weight if your diet contained very little protein.

But that aside OP, for weight loss food selection has little bearing, for healthy weight loss food selection is very important.

As many have pointed out not all calories (from a micro nutrient stand point) give you the same bang for your buck.

Technically, your body would need to use extra energy to upregulate protein recycling and your BMR would lower as your body has less lean mass, so it could potentially be a wash.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited November 2015
    While I agree that it is the overall diet that matters, I disagree that it's stupid or silly to say a food is bad when it offers nothing/little in the way of necessary nutrients...

I think it's stupid or silly to call a food good or bad without considering the context. And I don't think it makes for a healthy relationship with food if somebody is obsessing over ensuring that every single morsel of food that passes their lips is "healthy" and jam-packed with nutrients. That's called orthorexia and IMO it's not beneficial.

Calling the foods that contribute to satisfaction more than nutrition "bad" is pretty common usuage. Thinking that all foods are equal seems completely stupid and silly to me. And if they are not equal then some must be better (good) than others (bad).

What's wrong with a food that contributes to satisfaction more than nutrition (within the context of an overall healthy/balanced diet)? If that cookie or scoop of ice cream or whatever creates a more enjoyable diet which makes it easier for somebody to adhere to without going off the rails and binging, I see no problem with it whatsoever. And again, if you're hitting your macros for the day with a well-balanced diet and still have calories left over, you don't get extra credit for eating another pound of vegetables instead of a hot fudge brownie. Insisting that foods be classified as 'good' or 'bad' is polarized, rigid, binary thinking.

Nobody said that foods are "equal". What's being said is that "good" or "bad" depends entirely upon the context and dosage of how it fits into one's diet. I can think of contexts in which I could consider just about any food 'good' or 'bad'. Except bacon. Bacon is always good. Because bacon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    While I agree that it is the overall diet that matters, I disagree that it's stupid or silly to say a food is bad when it offers nothing/little in the way of necessary nutrients...

I think it's stupid or silly to call a food good or bad without considering the context. And I don't think it makes for a healthy relationship with food if somebody is obsessing over ensuring that every single morsel of food that passes their lips is "healthy" and jam-packed with nutrients. That's called orthorexia and IMO it's not beneficial.

Calling the foods that contribute to satisfaction more than nutrition "bad" is pretty common usuage. Thinking that all foods are equal seems completely stupid and silly to me. And if they are not equal then some must be better (good) than others (bad).

What's wrong with a food that contributes to satisfaction more than nutrition (within the context of an overall healthy/balanced diet)? If that cookie or scoop of ice cream or whatever creates a more enjoyable diet which makes it easier for somebody to adhere to without going off the rails and binging, I see no problem with it whatsoever. And again, if you're hitting your macros for the day with a well-balanced diet and still have calories left over, you don't get extra credit for eating another pound of vegetables instead of a hot fudge brownie. Insisting that foods be classified as 'good' or 'bad' is polarized, rigid, binary thinking.

Nobody said that foods are "equal". What's being said is that "good" or "bad" depends entirely upon the context and dosage of how it fits into one's diet. I can think of contexts in which I could consider just about any food 'good' or 'bad'. Except bacon. Bacon is always good. Because bacon.

I understand what is being said in both instances - those who call food good or bad, and those that rail against it.

And because I understand it, I don't see the need to rail against it.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    In my relatively short experience with all this, it's not specifically what I'm eating that's made me lose weight, it's the amount of what I'm eating. I've not cut out carbs, sugar, dairy, or anything else. I use the food scale every single day for every meal, and log everything that goes in my mouth. That has worked brilliantly for me.

One struggle I have though is that when a wave of hunger hits me, I want sugar and I want it now. If I give in to that craving, it is very easy to pig out on sugary stuff and then not feel full within an hour. Then I'm back to where I started and looking for things to snack on again. By the time dinner rolls around, I am running out of calories.

Because I drink a lot of coffee in the morning, the caffeine masks my hunger. When the caffeine wears off, I realize I'm starving and then I enter the phase we all like to call "hangry". What I do is try to eat a small mid-morning snack whether I feel hungry or not. That way the "hangry" phase never hits and that sugar craving doesn't even happen. I do the same thing mid afternoon so that I'm not dying for everything in the kitchen at dinner time.

It works out pretty well for me most days.
  • senecarr

Context.

Rainman would like a word with you.
  • AnvilHead
    It makes total sense. If you want a healthy diet, you need to choose a variety of healthy foods. If you want to stay full, you'll want to pick more low-cal food over tiny amount of high-cal food...

What about the many people I see posting who say "Ughhh, it's sooooo hard to eat 1200 calories a day! I'm so stuffed after 600 calories that I just can't eat anymore!". Incipient eating disorders aside, these people need more calorie-dense foods. They don't need another pound of lettuce, they need a half an avocado and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. What about somebody who's bulking and needs to eat 3000-4000 calories a day? They're going to have a hard time getting it down if they rely mostly upon low-cal food.

Context, people. Context.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

Exactly my opinion as well.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It makes total sense. If you want a healthy diet, you need to choose a variety of healthy foods. If you want to stay full, you'll want to pick more low-cal food over tiny amount of high-cal food...

What about the many people I see posting who say "Ughhh, it's sooooo hard to eat 1200 calories a day! I'm so stuffed after 600 calories that I just can't eat anymore!". Incipient eating disorders aside, these people need more calorie-dense foods. They don't need another pound of lettuce, they need a half an avocado and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. What about somebody who's bulking and needs to eat 3000-4000 calories a day? They're going to have a hard time getting it down if they rely mostly upon low-cal food.

Context, people. Context.

I always need 2 tbsp of peanut butter. Even when I'm already full. :smiley:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member

Different strokes.

This is the most beautiful thing I think I've ever seen you write. Can I copy/save this for future semantics arguments PLEASE??!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

when i'm on a long ride i suck on jolly rancher candies...it has no nutritional value other than to provide me with a boost of sugar and they keep my mouth from getting dry. so according to you, still "bad"...

nobody said all foods are nutritionally equal. "good" or "bad" has to have context and you have to consider dosage. jolly ranchers are killer on 50+ mile rides.
  • senecarr

when i'm on a long ride i suck on jolly rancher candies...it has no nutritional value other than to provide me with a boost of sugar and they keep my mouth from getting dry. so according to you, still "bad"...

nobody said all foods are nutritionally equal. "good" or "bad" has to have context and you have to consider dosage. jolly ranchers are killer on 50+ mile rides.

Wait, food isn't good or bad, but it can be killer? I'm going to say murder is always bad. :) (inb4 self defense).
  • AnvilHead
    senecarr wrote: »
    Wait, food isn't good or bad, but it can be killer? I'm going to say murder is always bad. :) (inb4 self defense).

There is such a thing as "He needed killin'".

Or if there's not, there should be.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

If you weren't aware food could be killer, you've obviously been spared Guy Fieri.

You lucky thing, you.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member

If you weren't aware food could be killer, you've obviously been spared Guy Fieri.

You lucky thing, you.

Lol, if Guy's food doesn't kill you, being within 100 feet of Gordon Ramsay while operating so much as a spoon might! ha ha!