1235»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

So they are really re-working the formula again?
    They "accidently" sent an email asking for top favorites and will send 2 free boxes. There was a follow-up email that it was sent to all and should have been only to the beta groups. I also follow Dr. Sarah Solomon (fitness model) and she posted a video testing a re-reformulated Cookie Dough. She seemed pretty pleased. It gives me hope.

Well, I can't wait then because even after the supposedly "horrible" new formula, I haven't found protein bars that can hold a candle to the taste and texture of Quest bars. Fit Elite, Mission1 Muscletech, and Combat Crunch were all gross. Only the Chocolate Cookie Dough Combat Crunch was good, the rest were sickeningly sweet with that bar coating. The only other protein bars I've enjoyed thus far are the D's Naturals No Cow vegan protein bars.

I sampled a vegan bar the other day that was quite good. I was just curious and found it too high calorie...Wish I could remember what it was! Pretty sure it wasn't the No Cow
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

They "accidently" sent an email asking for top favorites and will send 2 free boxes. There was a follow-up email that it was sent to all and should have been only to the beta groups. I also follow Dr. Sarah Solomon (fitness model) and she posted a video testing a re-reformulated Cookie Dough. She seemed pretty pleased. It gives me hope.

Well, I can't wait then because even after the supposedly "horrible" new formula, I haven't found protein bars that can hold a candle to the taste and texture of Quest bars. Fit Elite, Mission1 Muscletech, and Combat Crunch were all gross. Only the Chocolate Cookie Dough Combat Crunch was good, the rest were sickeningly sweet with that bar coating. The only other protein bars I've enjoyed thus far are the D's Naturals No Cow vegan protein bars.

I sampled a vegan bar the other day that was quite good. I was just curious and found it too high calorie...Wish I could remember what it was! Pretty sure it wasn't the No Cow

Now I'm curious too! It definitely wasn't the no cow because those are pretty much identical to Quest nutrition wise except they have a bit less fat. The nutrition profile is what made me pick one up to begin with before I ordered a sampler pack to try all of their products. Their fluffbutter tastes amazing mixed into plain greek yogurt!
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    FenderK8 wrote: »
    Power Crunch bars have been my favorite lately, especially mint chocolate. 13g protein and about 205 calories but taste nothing like a protein bar and are more akin to an extra chocolaty kit-kat.

Love!!!
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest bars for the nutrient not so much the taste. If I was looking for great taste I sure wouldn't be eating ANY protein bar.
  • Triskele2
    Triskele2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like Think Thin bars. Not cheap but I enjoy the brownie crunch ones with milk.
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love the power crunch bars. The salted caramel is great and so is the mint chocolate.
  • arditarose
    Options

Now I'm curious too! It definitely wasn't the no cow because those are pretty much identical to Quest nutrition wise except they have a bit less fat. The nutrition profile is what made me pick one up to begin with before I ordered a sampler pack to try all of their products. Their fluffbutter tastes amazing mixed into plain greek yogurt!

Interesting. Usually the vegan type of bars I see are higher in calories/lower in protein. If I see these I'll give them a try. I'll remember to post here once I find the name of the other bar. It really was very good.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love the power crunch bars. The salted caramel is great and so is the mint chocolate.

I just ate my first protein bar. It was a Power Crunch Salted Caramel and I loved it. My question is "what makes a GOOO protein bar? By that I mean how many calories, how much protein, how much carbohydrates and how much fat is considered appropriate.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

The No Cow bar tasted pretty good (I think I tried Raspberry), but at first it had a weird flavor to it. It almost tasted like it was harvested out of the ground.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

Fit Elite has to be one of the worst protein bars I've ever tried. My sister said it reminded her of Laffy Taffy.
  • Maxematics
    Options

The No Cow bar tasted pretty good (I think I tried Raspberry), but at first it had a weird flavor to it. It almost tasted like it was harvested out of the ground.

LOL! Maybe it's the pea protein. That seems to be the same issue that many people have with vegan protein powders like Garden of Life and Vega. I love all of it, though!
  • arditarose
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »

I just ate my first protein bar. It was a Power Crunch Salted Caramel and I loved it. My question is "what makes a GOOO protein bar? By that I mean how many calories, how much protein, how much carbohydrates and how much fat is considered appropriate.

Depends on you and your needs. For me, a 300 calorie protein bar is too much. Less than 20 grams of protein at 200 calories is not worth it. I'm not concerned about ingredients too much, but others are. I don't care about carbs or fat. I usually hope the fat content is not too low because I can struggle hitting my fat macro.
  • arditarose
    Options

LOL! Maybe it's the pea protein. That seems to be the same issue that many people have with vegan protein powders like Garden of Life and Vega. I love all of it, though!

I had a powdered peanut butter with pea protein in it and it tasted funky! Like...peas. lol.
  • Maxematics
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Fit Elite has to be one of the worst protein bars I've ever tried. My sister said it reminded her of Laffy Taffy.

Yes! That was my issue with it. The consistency is so hard that it's difficult to chew through and the flavor is minimal. I've heard that his Fit Crunch bars are better, but my calorie allowance doesn't have room for a 380 calorie protein bar. It's 380 calories with 27 carbs, 2 grams of fiber, and 30 grams of protein. I can get 20-25 grams of protein for half the calories, 7 to 9 times the fiber, and the same amount of carbs with a Quest bar.

My protein bar requirements are pretty similar to @arditarose: 150-220 calories, protein has to be at least 20 grams, fat can vary, as I'll just eat higher fat ones on my high fat/low carb days and my lower fat ones on my high carb/low fat days. Carbs don't matter since the ones I eat usually are high fiber, but again, I can just figure it out during my cycling days.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    The new mission1 bars by muscletech are absolutely amazing IMO!!! :)