Replies

• blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It's on this board......
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    Oh btw for all the taco fanatics... Yes I had my tacos today and they were super yummy and I'm one happy lady!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You would think, but everyone wants to "fix" something and jumps to it before noticing nothing needs to be fixed.

I'm assuming you've noticed this is a help board right?

Thank you though for a your kind words and you've inspired me to get more serious about weight training. On that note since I have a hard time figuring out machines and proper form for weights do you think t25 the strength training section dvd is a good beginner strength straining option if I don't have access to weights at home?

Are you currently a member of a gym? Normally, upon joining, you will get a free session with a trainer who will help you with the machines and proper form. If you are already a member but never utilized this, still ask for it. If all else fails, pay for a session or two.

You mentioned your hubby helping you with this, but unless he's had training, I think you'd be better off getting advice from someone who has been trained on how to show others.

Well not formal training but hes a former football player/former marine so he has much greater knowledge than I :) and yes your right our gym does offer a trainer session for free. However in real life I'm super timid and shy and honestly the idea of going to the gym in the middle of the day and having someone analyze me..... Shivers!! We normally go to gym at midnight when it's almost empty due to my Hubbys work schedule and it's practically empty (love 24 hour gyms!)

While he knows what has worked for him in the past as a football player and a Marine, it doesn't sound like he has any training at all on how to help others. What I look for in a trainer is someone who is experienced working with people with knee injuries, not Mr. Olympia. Just because one can DO, doesn't mean one can TEACH.

Sounds like you are assuming the only appointment times for trainers are in the middle of the day. Try to get one as late as possible. I too love empty gyms.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »
    have a couple of them. If you go over a few hundred calories you can fix that in the next few days. I went over a few hundred calories a couple days ago and didnt even notice a difference.

Says the perfectly sculpted male specimen. For me a couple hundred calories will instantly show on my hips lol. Plus I was bad last week and went over 2 days and lost zero zero zero and darn it I will lose this week!

Weight never instantly shows up, but comes from a habit of overeating.

I'm sure betuel had his own weight issues because otherwise he wouldn't be here. I like his reply, I think it's sensible.

There is nothing wrong with going over your calories for one day. I would for a good taco!

What it doesn't instantly show!!??? But why do I have taco shaped love handles as I type... Maybe I should get that checked.....

Ha, ha, love the humor.

Some people really do believe you gain weight instantly from foods. I guess you were being silly again. Difficult to see this. ;)
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    You would think, but everyone wants to "fix" something and jumps to it before noticing nothing needs to be fixed.

Thank you though for a your kind words and you've inspired me to get more serious about weight training. On that note since I have a hard time figuring out machines and proper form for weights do you think t25 the strength training section dvd is a good beginner strength straining option if I don't have access to weights at home?

Are you currently a member of a gym? Normally, upon joining, you will get a free session with a trainer who will help you with the machines and proper form. If you are already a member but never utilized this, still ask for it. If all else fails, pay for a session or two.

You mentioned your hubby helping you with this, but unless he's had training, I think you'd be better off getting advice from someone who has been trained on how to show others.

Well not formal training but hes a former football player/former marine so he has much greater knowledge than I :) and yes your right our gym does offer a trainer session for free. However in real life I'm super timid and shy and honestly the idea of going to the gym in the middle of the day and having someone analyze me..... Shivers!! We normally go to gym at midnight when it's almost empty due to my Hubbys work schedule and it's practically empty (love 24 hour gyms!)

While he knows what has worked for him in the past as a football player and a Marine, it doesn't sound like he has any training at all on how to help others. What I look for in a trainer is someone who is experienced working with people with knee injuries, not Mr. Olympia. Just because one can DO, doesn't mean one can TEACH.

Sounds like you are assuming the only appointment times for trainers are in the middle of the day. Try to get one as late as possible. I too love empty gyms.

There trainers are there from 8-5pm :( but I will check and see if any are willing to do a session outside of their normal hours. No fear of me trying anything to strenuous or him trying to teach me something he isn't confident in but just to be safe. (Huge fear of straining my back again so better to be safe than sorry)

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    have a couple of them. If you go over a few hundred calories you can fix that in the next few days. I went over a few hundred calories a couple days ago and didnt even notice a difference.

Says the perfectly sculpted male specimen. For me a couple hundred calories will instantly show on my hips lol. Plus I was bad last week and went over 2 days and lost zero zero zero and darn it I will lose this week!

I'm sure betuel had his own weight issues because otherwise he wouldn't be here. I like his reply, I think it's sensible.

There is nothing wrong with going over your calories for one day. I would for a good taco!

What it doesn't instantly show!!??? But why do I have taco shaped love handles as I type... Maybe I should get that checked.....

Ha, ha, love the humor.

Some people really do believe you gain weight instantly from foods. I guess you were being silly again. Difficult to see this. ;)

I need to use more emoticons I think lol maybe that will help :p
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

There trainers are there from 8-5pm :( but I will check and see if any are willing to do a session outside of their normal hours. No fear of me trying anything to strenuous or him trying to teach me something he isn't confident in but just to be safe. (Huge fear of straining my back again so better to be safe than sorry)

Sure, I had chronic back problems for decades and currently have knee issues, possibly from the leg extension machine, so I getcha.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm not even close to miserable at 1200 calories. Sure every once in a blue moon (like late night taco smelling) I will get hungry but normally nope and I eat food I like. I even get in my favorite maple bars or chocolate when I want them. I don't know why someone would be so miserable at 1200 on normal days? It's plenty for example for brunch I have
    168 g of hash browns
    30g of cheese on the hash browns
    5 slices of butterball turkey bacon
    All for under 350 calories

Snack is normally low fat cottage cheese and 7 slices of pepperoni
    150 calories

Dinner is a good size portion of whatever I make with the largest portion of dinner being veggies (I'm not a huge meat eater so those are normally small portions)
    Normally around 4-500 calorie dinners

Then I have an evening snack sometimes a boiled egg, chips, cookie or something and I also have a couple small pieces of chocolate throughout the day (yes chocolate is a daily requirement)
    100-200 calorie snack

So yep more than enough food

I think it doesn't hit people sometimes that shorter people do not NEED more calories necessarily. We are, well......not as big!

It cracks me up how people push calories on people here, before they even know for sure what the height or age,etc. is

If I ate what many people here eat regularly, according to them, I'd be very overweight.

• MarcyKirkton
    Options

yep.......lol
  • alco1966
    alco1966 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    do you have a rolling pin? yes... hit your hubby with it... no... find a heavy object and hit him with that instead... only kidding xxx
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Honestly I'm not even close to miserable at 1200 calories. Sure every once in a blue moon (like late night taco smelling) I will get hungry but normally nope and I eat food I like. I even get in my favorite maple bars or chocolate when I want them. I don't know why someone would be so miserable at 1200 on normal days? It's plenty for example for brunch I have
    168 g of hash browns

150 calories

Dinner is a good size portion of whatever I make with the largest portion of dinner being veggies (I'm not a huge meat eater so those are normally small portions)

Then I have an evening snack sometimes a boiled egg, chips, cookie or something and I also have a couple small pieces of chocolate throughout the day (yes chocolate is a daily requirement)
    100-200 calorie snack

I think it doesn't hit people sometimes that shorter people do not NEED more calories necessarily. We are, well......not as big!

It cracks me up how people push calories on people here, before they even know for sure what the height or age,etc. is

If I ate what many people here eat regularly, according to them, I'd be very overweight.

She's 5"7'. Hardly short for a woman. She and I are almost the same height, age, and she's at my starting weight. Forget even just satiety, personally I would not be able to get adequate nutrition on 1200 calories. It would be difficult for me to get in adequate protein along with other macros and micros. I might be able to do it, with super careful planning, but I'd probably come to really resent counting calories. Plus, it's not unreasonable for others to suggest less aggressive goals. A lot of people want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. Others are trying to be helpful and let that person know that they can increase their calories, and that in the long run that's often better.
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    alco1966 wrote: »
    do you have a rolling pin? yes... hit your hubby with it... no... find a heavy object and hit him with that instead... only kidding xxx

Oh I have a rolling pin lol and he did look a little worried when he brought his plate beside me to eat... I think he feared more for the tacos than for himself though lol
  • alco1966
    alco1966 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hahahah your doing fantastic ... keep it up :-)xx
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    A couple of bites sounds like a great compromise since you had already spent your calorie allowance.

Not saying no to food above my allowance is why I have to eat at a deficit now!!
  • MarcyKirkton
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    168 g of hash browns

150 calories

100-200 calorie snack

She's 5"7'. Hardly short for a woman. She and I are almost the same height, age, and she's at my starting weight. Forget even just satiety, personally I would not be able to get adequate nutrition on 1200 calories. It would be difficult for me to get in adequate protein along with other macros and micros. I might be able to do it, with super careful planning, but I'd probably come to really resent counting calories. Plus, it's not unreasonable for others to suggest less aggressive goals. A lot of people want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. Others are trying to be helpful and let that person know that they can increase their calories, and that in the long run that's often better.

Sorry if my post was unclear. I was speaking in a general sense. I do think, however, that she posted in jest and has gotten entirely more advice than her post actually warranted.

Just because you post in jest about the wafting smell of beloved tacos doesn't mean that she's not on track, and I can't think of how else she can post other than posting her actual profile, as she did.

I know a lot of people are over-exuberant about losing weight and then overeat on the rebound. I get it. But you know, not everyone does that. And it's kind of funky to have this community and just know.....don't even bother trying to post something lighthearted as she did.

Anyway, I don't mean to be cranky. I just felt bad for the OP. It was lighthearted and kind of nice for a change, for awhile, anyway.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I seem to have struck some nerves here, oops! I'll try again. Eat more damn it you obviously don't know what you need!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I was super lean before i found MFP. Im hear because its easier to use the app to count calories rather than write numbers on paper and I like reading through posts when im bored. I may have a binge episode and gain couple percentage points in body fat but get back down to where i want to be pretty quick.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    So my husband works until 11pm and he came home (after I had eaten and maxed out my calories) and he's making tacos! Freaking tacos are deliciously smelling up the entire house. My stomach is rumbling and I am trying to not eat my phone in a desperate attempt to not gobble down all the tacos!

So make a taco salad! Load up on lettuce, tomatoes, some of the meat, a bit of cheese, weigh everything with your food scale, and make it work! For a lower calorie dressing you can blend a bit of sour cream with some salsa in your blender.

I have no calories left for today and with only 1200 calories a day I don't want to take away from calories tomorrow or I will be in same boat tomorrow lol

are you not able to exercise?

Sure and I normally do 4x a week but this weeks been crazy with kids activities (I have 6) and my graduate studies I do at night after kids go to bed so I haven't gotten in as much this week as normal

6 kids is crazier than 1200 calories! !! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Not trying to be snotty but don't you have a post on this board about dog memes and cat memes :) so obviously not everyone is posting help requests on this board including yourself. However, I can see how my post, which was seemingly obvious to me as silly, could be perceived differently via an online board where emotions can not be as easily read.

I don't think the poster was meaning to be snotty either when she stated that. I have seen a lot of extreme opinions being posted in regards to if someone gets Almost offended by someone's calorie intake numbers (not talking about those extremes of like 500 calories a day posters). 1200 if so unsafe wouldn't be the number that I've been recommended by both my doctor, MFP ad a bunch of other calorie/deficit sites. So while you feel and others may think it's low it doesn't mean it is nor does it mean it's a difficult limit for all people. I'm eating the same amount of food I always have. I'm just making better food choices. Quality not quantity calories :)

Yeah, ages ago I started a dog gif thread cos the board needed lightening up ...it was helpful at the time (post-rationalises ;))

I knew your title was a joke and got the tone re the OP ...and I think you've done brilliantly with your 70+lb weight loss. Perhaps in the future as you get closer to your end goal you should plan to slow down rate of loss because you need to get to maintenance and in the end maintenance takes the same commitment as loss with just an extra slice of bread

I don't know T25

I liked New Rules of Lifting for Women (book) and also flicked through Strong Curves

Online programmes I'd recommend would be

No weights? Go bodyweight http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/. Or you are your own gym

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Me? I have a trainer, doesn't matter how shy you are in real life ...your focus is on the trainer and his/hers on you and you rarely notice other gym goers nor they you as they are there for them. I wouldn't advise using any trainer without recommendations and find one you can laugh with and who you respect ...a large number aren't in that category