The deal on sugar

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    raemj1721 wrote: »
    Soo.. Nursing major here.. In my opinion cutting out sugar is a bad idea for a lot of reasons like decrease in brain activity, messing up insulin and glucose levels, body will start to use up muscle mass for energy which we want muscle cause it burns more energy which is calories. Your fat is the last thing to go when starving yourself or depriving a thing like sugar. Quick fact: your brain uses 50% of sugar you consume!

Is that a fact? That the brain uses 50% of all the sugar I consume.

it could happen that way. The brain uses about 300 calories from memory, so if you ate 150 grams of sugar = 600 calories then the statement would work.

I've logged 4g of sugar so far today, so double check my maths.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Soo.. Nursing major here.. In my opinion cutting out sugar is a bad idea for a lot of reasons like decrease in brain activity, messing up insulin and glucose levels, body will start to use up muscle mass for energy which we want muscle cause it burns more energy which is calories. Your fat is the last thing to go when starving yourself or depriving a thing like sugar. Quick fact: your brain uses 50% of sugar you consume!

So then, the more I consume, the smarter I get, right?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I do not monitor my sugar intake. As a T2Dm, I monitor my total carb intake. It does not matter if those carbs are simple (sugars) or complex (starches which the body changes to sugars), they all raise my blood glucose and I need to monitor them so it doesn't go too high.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    can a person do 0 sugar ? cut it out? is this even possible?
    no fruits, no milk?

Some people limit their fruits. Dairy has sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

You so funny. I would finish a cookie and a crossword just before sitting for an exam, based on the best professorial advice I've seen. The cookie for the blood sugar, and the crossword to be in the right brain space.

Can eating more make us better singers?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/23/the_odd_body_opera_singers/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

@raemj1721 when you say "cutting out sugar" are you referring to just added sugar like in baked goods or that which comes in dairy, fruit, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@raemj1721 when you say "cutting out sugar" are you referring to just added sugar like in baked goods or that which comes in dairy, fruit, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc?

Why would you think she means just added sugar?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

it could happen that way. The brain uses about 300 calories from memory, so if you ate 150 grams of sugar = 600 calories then the statement would work.

I've logged 4g of sugar so far today, so double check my maths.

I'm thinking it is my excuse for an extra ice cream lol, I will be a brain surgeon some day ;)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Woman after my own heart! That was my thoughts exactly :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    With the amount of sugar I eat, I *should* be a brain surgeon by now!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't cut sugar.

If someone wants to cut sugar, I think it would be ideal if it were done for a cogent reason. Even if it's done because of a derpy Facebook inforgraphic or a laughably bad "documentary," though, that's his call. The issue, imo, is when people start telling others what they should or shouldn't eat.

OMG...thank you, thank you..finally someone calling out the "food police".
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You need to go back and study. You have pretty much everything backwards. Lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Psst. Fun Fact. Go ahead and eat ZERO carbs (sugar is a carb) and your magical body will magically produce all the magical sugar your body and brain requires to run effectively. Its magic. Don't tell anyone. It is a secret. Amaze your friends. Thank me later.

You're my hero
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Psst. Fun Fact. Go ahead and eat ZERO carbs (sugar is a carb) and your magical body will magically produce all the magical sugar your body and brain requires to run effectively. Its magic. Don't tell anyone. It is a secret. Amaze your friends. Thank me later.

By "effectively" you mean "doesn't die".

Essential is not the same as optimal.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Not hardly.
    Ketones are an optimal brain fuel. It's been used for decades to preserve brain health in epileptics by preventing seizures and is currently a treatment for many other brain diseases/conditions including cancer. Only a minimal amount of glucose is required on a daily basis and can be provided through gluconeogenesis from consumed protein.
    Carbs are a non essential food.

It's just as bad to tell people they HAVE to have at least some carbs and sugar to perform at optimal levels as it is to suggest that nobody should ever eat them.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Not hardly.
    Ketones are an optimal brain fuel. It's been used for decades to preserve brain health in epileptics by preventing seizures and is currently a treatment for many other brain diseases/conditions including cancer. Only a minimal amount of glucose is required on a daily basis and can be provided through gluconeogenesis from consumed protein.

It's just as bad to tell people they HAVE to have at least some carbs and sugar to perform at optimal levels as it is to suggest that nobody should ever eat them.

Really? So in the presence of fruits, nuts, or grains, your brain suddenly stops using the most optimal fuel? Our only real advantage on this planet over other animals, and the brain says "oh hey, sugar, let's run less optimally, no need to think at our maximum!"
    The human body does a lot of tricks to try to keep glucose available as the fuel for the brain. It doesn't do it to have a bubble.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Not hardly.
    Ketones are an optimal brain fuel.

If ketones were optimal, the brain would be able to run on them exclusively. But it can't.
    It's been used for decades to preserve brain health in epileptics by preventing seizures and is currently a treatment for many other brain diseases/conditions including cancer. Only a minimal amount of glucose is required on a daily basis and can be provided through gluconeogenesis from consumed protein.

Essential nutrients are those which the body relies on but cannot synthesize itself. Hence the distinction between essential and optimal.

If you think that non-essential nutrients should be avoided, you had better stop eating saturated and monounsaturated fats, since none of them are essential either.

If you eat no carbs at all, then you are eating no vegetables. So yes, you must eat some to perform optimally.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What do the nay sayers say to keto dieters and those on Low carb or NO carb diets?
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't cut sugar.

If someone wants to cut sugar, I think it would be ideal if it were done for a cogent reason. Even if it's done because of a derpy Facebook inforgraphic or a laughably bad "documentary," though, that's his call. The issue, imo, is when people start telling others what they should or shouldn't eat.

1000x this!!
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What do the nay sayers say to keto dieters and those on Low carb or NO carb diets?

Calories In/Calories Out. Everything in moderation.