OK guys... what's the best greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• jjmae
    jjmae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fage....hands down. So thick you can put it on a baked potato. You have to watch calories, many times I've had to proportion out a flavored yogurt: Eating twice in one day, or carrying over to next day. If you need plain yogurt for recipes this is the best one to use.:glasses:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    My fav is Fage plain nonfat. I eat it with berries or peaches (frozen ones zapped in the microwave work fine if you don't have fresh). I sweeten it with just a touch of Splenda and add one tablespoon of trail mix and a bit of fiber one original cereal. It's what I just had for lunch!!

I am not a big fan of sweetened yogurts (Greek or regular) because I think they are all too sweet, especially with granola and trail mix. But I have found that I don't mind dannon light and fit Greek. It is sweetened with sweetener, but it seems like maybe they use less, so I like it better.
  • gbers
    gbers Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Chobani by far! More protein, thick and yummy!! My favorite is pineapple. :) It is good for you, fills you up and tastes delicious...
  • bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Fage 0%
  • eaglefat
    eaglefat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The two best and most inexpensive brands in my opinion are Kirkland (Costco) Fat Free Greek Yogurt and Great Value (Walmart) Plain No Fat Greek Yogurt. These two have the most protein that I have found.
  • nickki688
    nickki688 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Only Fage and chobani are true strained greek yogurts. Other brands like dannon oikos, Cabot, and Stonyfield are thickened with added ingredients. I heard this on a segment of All Things Considered on NPR

Second this. i LOVE Fage, though. I used to eat an obscene amount, haha.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You can add raw honey or just buy the flavored. We keep plain in our house to use as sour cream.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have Chobani 0 plain almost every morning in a smoothie. Yum.
  • janine962
    janine962 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fage 0%
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Love them all.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I listened to a Americas Test kitchen radio show and they tested 3 different kinds. Yoplait was the absolute worst! Fage was the best.

I can believe this ..... Yoplait Greek is chalky (blech). I'm liking Chobani .... and Fage (when it's on sale)

Dannon Fit & Light is low sugar like another poster said .....BUT is has artificial sweeteners (sucralose ..... Splenda).

Greek should not be sour compared to plain regular yogurt. Greek is just "strained" regular yogurt. In fact plain greek should be less sour ... because the liquid that is drained from it is tart.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the yoplait greek yogurt, but unfortunately just learned that there is fake greek yogurt and real greek yogurt! (There are even lawsuits going on about it now!) Apparently yoplait greek is fake. :( If you look at the ingrediants and there is corn starch anywhere listed, then it's fake. I bought Chobani the other day to try out but haven't tasted it yet. Just make sure you read the labels!

This is true. Greek yogurt is typically made from straining regular yogurt to remove the whey, resulting in a thicker product with more protein per ounce.

General Mills just added a thickener to its yogurt to create the "greek" style. For them, I believe it's a "milk protein concentrate" of some kind.
  • shawnerseliz
    shawnerseliz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    FAGE by far!! Love the texture and the taste. Love 2% and usually need the cals based on other foods I'm eating - but eat the 0% as well when I don't have the ttl or fat cals left in my day.
  • karivarner
    karivarner Posts: 17
    Options
    Noosa is the best period. Best flavors, best texture. I took some up to my daughter when she was in the hospital after her car accident. All the nurses there raved about it being the only one they eat. It is wonderful!!
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I really like the fage and the trader joes brand!
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% anything. Tastes like cheesecake.
  • cashes52702
    cashes52702 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the Oikos Fruit at the bottom (blueberry!:)). I tried another one (I THINK it started with a Z?), and I wasn't a fan. But I haven't tried any of the other ones, I'm too happy with mine.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Labaneh is the Arabic word for greek yoghurt (same thing, different language)

By far the best one is Almarai, which is a Saudi brand. The Almarai low fat labeneh has the best macros, it's still got about 5g fat per 100g, but I eat balanced macros (i.e. 40/30/30) so that's just the right amount of fat for me. It tastes a lot better than fage, but is far cheaper. If I recall correctly one tub is only like 300 fils or so, while fage is more than 3 dinars for a tub.

Anyway, just in case anyone on this thread is in the Arabian gulf or other parts of the middle east where you can buy Almarai and maybe other local brands of labeneh, who didn't know it's the same thing as greek yoghurt, I thought I'd mention it :flowerforyou:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Fage...worth the cost just for the protein content : )
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    Fage all the way!!