diet soda dangers

Options
Diet soda is absolutely toxic for your body. This is an incomplete list of the health issues associated with soda consumption:

Obesity
Diabetes
Heart disease
Liver damage
Insomnia
High Blood Pressure
Osteoporosis
Various cancers

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is absolutely toxic for your body. This is an incomplete list of the health issues associated with soda consumption:

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

said no scientific evidence ever.*

*obviously someone jacked full of caffeine isn't going to sleep. But that's hardly insomnia.
  • MatthewMacG
    MatthewMacG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You'll live a much happier life if you just enjoy your food and concentrate on being happy and healthy. If you look at any food on the planet, including those on the whole foods list you will find problems with all of them if you look close enough.

The irony is that people analyse foods on their own. When really they are combined with the body, other foods, the environment and therefore it is impossible to know what a food will or won't do to the body because it will change in the body and whilst combined with other foods, chemicals cancel and nullify each other,the way foods are cooked alter their properties etc..

I'd rather spend the limited time I've got in life on something more than micromanaging my diet.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

oh please!!! Where is your links to scientific evidence. This is strictly opinion. In fact all the evidence there was that diet soda was "evil" has been debunked in more recent studies. There was a post awhile back that linked to a bunch of studies talking about the "evil" of diet soda and they were all studies from almost 20 years ago or longer.

When it comes to cancer, just about everything has been linked cancer at some point. I just recently read awhile back having inconsistent bowel movements can increase your risk of certain cancers.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Um No!!! but in for the popcorn....

2irukv5jpg.gif
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    PLEASE CITE YOUR SOURCES!

2Ua2sPl.jpg
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm... Diet Pepsi... I think I will have one. :drinker:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Yep...it must be true because the internet said so...
    I drank diet soda all my life...lost 60lbs while doing it -so no obesity...Dropped my BP from 140/90 to 117/75 - so yeah for hight blood preassure!....
    Since I started weightlifting, my bone density got even better, diet pepsi in spite, and since I lost 60lbs while drinking diet pepsi, I am not borderline diabetic anymore....
    Thankfully the other bad things are all absent - I don't drink diet pepsi after 7pm though, otherwise tha caffeine might keep me awake.....
    Please don't spout nonsense without checking the facts....
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Um No!!! but in for the popcorn....

2irukv5jpg.gif

...his little hoof....such cuteness!
  • SlenderKimber
    SlenderKimber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you got "checked!" Site your sources. I love me a good Diet Dr. Pepper. =o)
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, calorie free. Too good to be true?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    the real danger....the one we are all over looking...is the effects of 2nd hand diet soda.
  • michaelschaap
    michaelschaap Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love diet A & W root beer.... just can't get enough of it :)

Michael
  • amaira515
    amaira515 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Actually diet soda is horrible for you. I didn't realize this was still a debatable thing. O.o I would be happy to give sources if they are requested. I am currently not on my home computer so will later. Although I hesitate because people tend to go lalala to things they don't want to hear. Also if it is laziness then I don't wish to support that either so.... It is better to do your own research and not just assume everything you hear on tv ads and read in magazines is true. Especially since those sources come from the companies trying to sell the stuff to you. I'll try and remember to get on later and link some good things along with some good books if I can find some.

They used to say smoking wasn't bad also. Are people still denying that? Or is it ok since at least one person mentioned pretty much everything has cancer causing chemicals now? Sadly this is true but if you eat whole foods, especially responsibly organic local food (there are farmer's markets everywhere now) you can avoid most of this. Just because it is hidden in a lot doesn't mean I am gonna say screw it and start chugging things I know are horrible for me.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Its acidic so that's no good but other than that and aspartame I can't really think of anything bad in it. Besides 1 or 2 a day won't hurt you
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Its acidic so that's no good but other than that and aspartame I can't really think of anything bad in it. Besides 1 or 2 a day won't hurt you

Aspartame hasn't ever been proven to be bad, either.

And oranges are acidic. As are lemons, and many other natural foods.
  • Genetic_tea_drinker
    Options
    First Vaccinations are evil, now diet soda.
    Is there anything in the world that a few bias studies want to try ruin for us all :'(
    lolol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

Completely groundless and fear mongering.

ETA: You know what contributes to the above list, more than anything? Obesity. A zero calorie beverage, by definition, cannot contribute to obesity.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

All the diet soda must be why I'm fat, diabetic, full of cancer, and have high blood pressure.

Oh wait.
  • LazySugar
    LazySugar Posts: 12
    Options
    It's been a long time since I looked at this stuff, so there might be new studies, but is this list taking into account that many people who are overweight or diabetic would naturally gravitate to low-calorie beverages in an attempt to control their condition? And that, particularly in the overweight group, there are a host of other conditions associated with that state which would further confound casual (Dare I say, "tabloid-ready") research? Not to mention, these "revelations" rarely differentiate between soda made with aspartame or acesulfame K and those made with sucralose, or even those sodas which use a blend of two or three. And the "soda" term is extremely catch-all to begin with when you think of the other ingredients that go into the various varieties of soda, diet or otherwise, and how they might interact. And then there's the hypothesis that some people may simply be sensitive to some ingredient or mixture of ingredients peculiar to diet soda, similar to how people are allergic to things like honey or peanut butter.

But of course, since we're all too lazy to look up these no doubt excellent studies, we'll never know.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options