diet soda dangers

Options

Replies

• celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I like my coke zero and until the FDA requires that only persons over the age of 18 may consume it, I will continue in my once-a-day coke zero quest!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is absolutely toxic for your body. This is an incomplete list of the health issues associated with soda consumption:

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

said no scientific evidence ever.*

*obviously someone jacked full of caffeine isn't going to sleep. But that's hardly insomnia.

Here is a study regarding agressive prostate cancer. It has been published in a medical journal, so the truth is starting to come out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/soda-day-raises-man-risk-prostate-cancer-article-1.1208695
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Um No!!! but in for the popcorn....

2irukv5jpg.gif

...his little hoof....such cuteness!
  • LazySugar
    LazySugar Posts: 12
    Options
    Diet soda is absolutely toxic for your body. This is an incomplete list of the health issues associated with soda consumption:

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

*obviously someone jacked full of caffeine isn't going to sleep. But that's hardly insomnia.

Here is a study regarding agressive prostate cancer. It has been published in a medical journal, so the truth is starting to come out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/soda-day-raises-man-risk-prostate-cancer-article-1.1208695

"Among the men who drank a lot of soft drinks or other drinks with added sugar, we saw an increased risk of prostate cancer of around 40 percent,"

I read the article, but it doesn't seem to mention diet soda, or have much bearing on soda at all if it's including "other drinks with added sugar."
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

Scientific literacy fail.

That article has nothing whatsoever to do with diet soda.

This is a cohort study and doesn't establish causation anyway.

I can't offer more criticism of the conclusions without access to the original article.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

The article didn't mention diet soda at all.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    PLEASE CITE YOUR SOURCES!

2Ua2sPl.jpg

THIS.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    popcorn_yes.gif
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Gives me headaches but helped lose 70lbs. Goodbye old friend ill miss you
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I drink caffeine free diet soda. Does that mean I'm safe or somehow even more screwed? Can never be too sure these days.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Oh good, another pro-ortho thread.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Scientific literacy fail.

That article has nothing whatsoever to do with diet soda.

This is a cohort study and doesn't establish causation anyway.

I can't offer more criticism of the conclusions without access to the original article.

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • soxx226
    soxx226 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh no! It was diet soda all along that caused my obesity, not the other 5000 calories I was putting away! *throws broccoli on the ground* I'm headed to Taco Bell!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You'll live a much happier life if you just enjoy your food and concentrate on being happy and healthy. If you look at any food on the planet, including those on the whole foods list you will find problems with all of them if you look close enough.

The irony is that people analyse foods on their own. When really they are combined with the body, other foods, the environment and therefore it is impossible to know what a food will or won't do to the body because it will change in the body and whilst combined with other foods, chemicals cancel and nullify each other,the way foods are cooked alter their properties etc..

I'd rather spend the limited time I've got in life on something more than micromanaging my diet.

^^Well said! I totally agree!!
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Yep...it must be true because the internet said so...
    I drank diet soda all my life...lost 60lbs while doing it -so no obesity...Dropped my BP from 140/90 to 117/75 - so yeah for hight blood preassure!....
    Since I started weightlifting, my bone density got even better, diet pepsi in spite, and since I lost 60lbs while drinking diet pepsi, I am not borderline diabetic anymore....
    Thankfully the other bad things are all absent - I don't drink diet pepsi after 7pm though, otherwise tha caffeine might keep me awake.....
    Please don't spout nonsense without checking the facts....
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How about:
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Contrary to popular belief, studies have found that artificial sweeteners such as aspartame can stimulate your appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In one of the most recent of such studies8, saccharin and aspartame were found to cause greater weight gain than sugar.
    Aspartame is perhaps one of the most problematic. It is primarily made up of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The phenylalanine has been synthetically modified to carry a methyl group, which provides the majority of the sweetness. That phenylalanine methyl bond, called a methyl ester, is very weak, which allows the methyl group on the phenylalanine to easily break off and form methanol.
    You may have heard the claim that aspartame is harmless because methanol is also found in fruits and vegetables. However, in fruits and vegetables, the methanol is firmly bonded to pectin, allowing it to be safely passed through your digestive tract. Not so with the methanol created by aspartame; there it’s not bonded to anything that can help eliminate it from your body.
    Methanol acts as a Trojan horse; it's carried into susceptible tissues in your body, like your brain and bone marrow, where the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) enzyme converts it into formaldehyde, which wreaks havoc with sensitive proteins and DNA. All animals EXCEPT HUMANS have a protective mechanism that allows methanol to be broken down into harmless formic acid. This is why toxicology testing on animals is a flawed model. It doesn't fully apply to people.
    UNQUOTE ( http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/10/9-unhealthy-foods.aspx )
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Obesity
    Diabetes
    Heart disease
    Liver damage
    Insomnia
    High Blood Pressure
    Osteoporosis
    Various cancers

Osteoporosis is also a concern because the carbonation leeches calcium from bones. But that isn't only a concern of diet soda. It's anything carbonated.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How about:
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Contrary to popular belief, studies have found that artificial sweeteners such as aspartame can stimulate your appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In one of the most recent of such studies8, saccharin and aspartame were found to cause greater weight gain than sugar.
    Aspartame is perhaps one of the most problematic. It is primarily made up of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The phenylalanine has been synthetically modified to carry a methyl group, which provides the majority of the sweetness. That phenylalanine methyl bond, called a methyl ester, is very weak, which allows the methyl group on the phenylalanine to easily break off and form methanol.
    You may have heard the claim that aspartame is harmless because methanol is also found in fruits and vegetables. However, in fruits and vegetables, the methanol is firmly bonded to pectin, allowing it to be safely passed through your digestive tract. Not so with the methanol created by aspartame; there it’s not bonded to anything that can help eliminate it from your body.
    Methanol acts as a Trojan horse; it's carried into susceptible tissues in your body, like your brain and bone marrow, where the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) enzyme converts it into formaldehyde, which wreaks havoc with sensitive proteins and DNA. All animals EXCEPT HUMANS have a protective mechanism that allows methanol to be broken down into harmless formic acid. This is why toxicology testing on animals is a flawed model. It doesn't fully apply to people.
    UNQUOTE ( http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/10/9-unhealthy-foods.aspx )

Mercola also believes that microwaves are very dangerous and other quackery and I would greatly discourage anyone from citing him or believing him as anything remotely reliable.

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/joe-mercola-quackery-pays/
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/02/01/joe-mercola-proof-positive-that-quackery/
    http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/joseph-mercola-misinformation-and-fear-mongering-about-vaccines/
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that it's not great for you, but I drink a Diet Coke every day, and I'm happy, healthy, have none of those problems, and am in great shape...aerobics, weight training, and Zumba every week...AND I'm 72 years old!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    How about:
    Artificial Sweeteners

Wow, that's crazy!

Oh, wait....... the article is completely unsourced. And the good doctor sells a whole line of products whose marketing relies on scaring people away from certain types of foods.

"A 2006 BusinessWeek editorial criticized Mercola's marketing practices as "relying on slick promotion, clever use of information, and scare tactics."[3] The Better Business Bureau gave his business a failing grade for not honoring its money-back guarantees.[4] In 2005, 2006, and 2011 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned Mercola and his company to stop making illegal claims regarding his products' ability to detect, prevent and treat disease.[5] The medical watchdog site Quackwatch has criticized Mercola for making "unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations [and making] many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements."[5]"