• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    See, THIS is why people get fitbits...

I've got one in my Christmas wish list!
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    And how long it takes security to catch you and throw you out.

Which raises the next question: how many calories do you burn running away from security? I suppose you'd need to factor in how many donuts said security had been consuming prior to the chase.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.

What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.

Depends on if you're drunk or not.

Wal Mart has security? (I mean other than the 80 year old at the entrance who wants to put a sticker on everything I bring into the store because they think I might try to "return" it).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.

What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.

and whether or not the shopping cart is one of the few that has 4 properly working wheels. We all know that sticky front wheel will make those calorie burns around the corners skyrocket...
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Asking for a friend.

and whether or not the shopping cart is one of the few that has 4 properly working wheels. We all know that sticky front wheel will make those calorie burns around the corners skyrocket...

Mind blown. I'm NEVER going to get an accurate calorie count.

For my friend, of course.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Asking for a friend.

All done with the Benny Hill soundtrack going round my head (Youtube if you don't know).
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think your friend may want to wear a crash helmet before attempting any trolley-based sporting activities...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

Depends. For me, possibly. For someone who is overweight, it's very doable to burn a donut in one hour of brisk walking (ok obviously not the 350+ calorie ones). But probably not at Walmart, as you slow down when you take turns, lol.

Asking for a friend.

Or load your cart with two packs of 12+ liters water/seltzer bottles, then walk uphill to your car. That's a fun one too (I might have done that today after a few laps at Target).
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

I think I should get bonus calories because I pushed one of those 2 kid seater carts loaded with my 35lb daughter. Struggling to get that cart around sharp corners and our lovely winter visitors was no easy task!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I think I should get bonus calories because I pushed one of those 2 kid seater carts loaded with my 35lb daughter. Struggling to get that cart around sharp corners and our lovely winter visitors was no easy task!

Is that the ones with the car in front? Those things are EVIL.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Due to the popularity of those "kid" carts and the motorized carts, I'm admittedly amazed that they haven't started offering 4-seater motorized carts yet...

That may be the sign that the apocalypse is upon us.
  • blkandwhite77
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ok so I learned a valuable lesson... Our gym membership is a much cheaper way to exercise. Somehow our $2 donut burning expedition ended up being a $60 expedition. I also learned our 3 year old did not find it as fun to walk past the toy aisle a dozen plus times as we did.

I have failed the mission. I must admit I lost track of laps and I got bored so I started weaving in an out all of the aisles. I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail.

However, I did burn 209 calories which is almost a full donut. Add that into calories spent pushing the evil cart from hell and laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes just plotting this mission and I'm going to savor every morsel of my maple donut.

Plus, going to the gym tonight just in case lol thank you all for your support and while I may have failed this one mission we will win the war!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ok so I learned a valuable lesson... Our gym membership is a much cheaper way to exercise. Somehow our $2 donut burning expedition ended up being a $60 expedition. I also learned our 3 year old did not find it as fun to walk past the toy aisle a dozen plus times as we did.

I have failed the mission. I must admit I lost track of laps and I got bored so I started weaving in an out all of the aisles. I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail.

However, I did burn 209 calories which is almost a full donut. Add that into calories spent pushing the evil cart from hell and laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes just plotting this mission and I'm going to savor every morsel of my maple donut.

Plus, going to the gym tonight just in case lol thank you all for your support and while I may have failed this one mission we will win the war!

All I see there is a bunch of hoopla basically saying my math can't be proven wrong now...so it is in fact, the right answer. I knew I could do it...

28586.jpg
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    See, THIS is why people get fitbits...

True and Walmart will have one on sale at their Black Friday sale! It's on my Christmas list!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

All I see there is a bunch of hoopla basically saying my math can't be proven wrong now...so it is in fact, the right answer. I knew I could do it...

28586.jpg

Reason #2 I like you. Reason # 1 will never change.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options

Yes, bonus calories for you! Thanks for the update. I had no doubt that a thread that involved Wal-Mart and doughnuts would be entertaining, but this thread has far exceeded my expectations! Thanks for the afternoon laugh.
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

Ok spoil sport you can take a 5 minute time out. A singular as in One Donut is not a bad diet. A 2000 calorie day of donuts is a bad diet. If there was a world without maple bars I wouldn't want to exist on it. Btw I've lost 70 lbs so far so ;)
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Is that the ones with the car in front? Those things are EVIL.

No! I will actually take those ones over this one. At least the weight in the front of the cart helps propel the motion this was far worse lol
  • blkandwhite77
    Options

The second I saw math my eyes glazed over, my brain went into hibernation and I think I may have cried a tear or two from the strain. I'm always jealous of people who can utilize math and not seize up in fear. Now if I need to write a 50 page research paper I can do it in a day. Math nope not my strength.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Heck! I don't know about your Mall but the ones around my (very large, interstate) neighborhood are charted out for "walking clubs". Assuming you enter through X door, you will be able to accurately calculate the distance you have walked (usually about a half mile around, though some are only a quarter mile and one is less than that!) But the outer doors open at - like six or seven a.m. even though the shops won't open until ten. This allows the walkers to trod their miles with the only others in the place also slogging their way around the interior. This also allows them a dry, reasonably warm place to do their walking when there is inclement weather.

Now, when it comes to Wally World... ehhh, don't think I could handle that. Though I do always park out in BFE and laugh at those poor fools sitting in the middle of the driving lane closer to the entrance, just waiting for someone to pull out so they can get the parking space close to the door. Meanwhile, I've already made it inside and have half my shopping done before they can get out of their cars!

I have a home gym which makes the whole process a lot simpler, but I also look for random opportunities to move a little more - like the aforementioned parking far, far away from the entrance to stores, which has the added benefit of never having to wonder where I parked my car. NOBODY wants to park that far out! HAH!