How many laps around Walmart?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ok so I learned a valuable lesson... Our gym membership is a much cheaper way to exercise. Somehow our $2 donut burning expedition ended up being a $60 expedition. I also learned our 3 year old did not find it as fun to walk past the toy aisle a dozen plus times as we did.

I have failed the mission. I must admit I lost track of laps and I got bored so I started weaving in an out all of the aisles. I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail.

However, I did burn 209 calories which is almost a full donut. Add that into calories spent pushing the evil cart from hell and laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes just plotting this mission and I'm going to savor every morsel of my maple donut.

Plus, going to the gym tonight just in case lol thank you all for your support and while I may have failed this one mission we will win the war!

All I see there is a bunch of hoopla basically saying my math can't be proven wrong now...so it is in fact, the right answer. I knew I could do it...

28586.jpg

Reason #2 I like you. Reason # 1 will never change.

No, reason #1 is changing. It keeps getting better.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I love walking around big box stores, or shopping centers, when it is cold out. I will even go to a store and walk at lunch, no excuses for the weather then and I can even get a little shopping done if I need to.

I have a Target right near my work so when it's extremely hot or pretty darned cold outside, I walk up and down the aisles for my lunch hour. Sooooooooooo like 3 times a week? :)

I'm surprised they haven't offered me a job by now. :)

I had a friend who used to do this, until she was accused of trying to "case out" the store (ie. plan a theft attempt).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ok so I learned a valuable lesson... Our gym membership is a much cheaper way to exercise. Somehow our $2 donut burning expedition ended up being a $60 expedition. I also learned our 3 year old did not find it as fun to walk past the toy aisle a dozen plus times as we did.

I have failed the mission. I must admit I lost track of laps and I got bored so I started weaving in an out all of the aisles. I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail.

However, I did burn 209 calories which is almost a full donut. Add that into calories spent pushing the evil cart from hell and laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes just plotting this mission and I'm going to savor every morsel of my maple donut.

Plus, going to the gym tonight just in case lol thank you all for your support and while I may have failed this one mission we will win the war!

All I see there is a bunch of hoopla basically saying my math can't be proven wrong now...so it is in fact, the right answer. I knew I could do it...

28586.jpg

I feel like I've seen that somewhere...hmmm.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.

What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.

Depends on if you're drunk or not.

And how long it takes security to catch you and throw you out.

What Walmart doesn't tell you is that you can't test each of the balls in the big netted container to see how far they bounce. I mean if they didn't want you bouncing the balls their should be sign.... Not saying I ever got kicked out of Walmart before for that or anything.....
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

28586.jpg

Touché.

*drool*
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.

What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.

Depends on if you're drunk or not.

And how long it takes security to catch you and throw you out.

Wal Mart has security? (I mean other than the 80 year old at the entrance who wants to put a sticker on everything I bring into the store because they think I might try to "return" it).

Every Walmart has plain clothes security. You've probably seen them repeatedly but never realized they were security. Walmart's with high theft like one I've been to in Miami can have a security guard for EACH ISLE.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    LOL Walmart is the last place I would go to walk laps! You can barely even stroll in there without bumping shoulders with someone else!! :D I would have about 5 minutes of patience...then melt down.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was laughing so hard with this thread my dog thought I'd gone crazy.

We've tried to mall-walk before. We did 3 laps after hours, so not very many people to go around, and were still under a mile. We said screw it and went to our boys' school track and walked in the snow!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I love walking around big box stores, or shopping centers, when it is cold out. I will even go to a store and walk at lunch, no excuses for the weather then and I can even get a little shopping done if I need to.

I have a Target right near my work so when it's extremely hot or pretty darned cold outside, I walk up and down the aisles for my lunch hour. Sooooooooooo like 3 times a week? :)

I'm surprised they haven't offered me a job by now. :)

I had a friend who used to do this, until she was accused of trying to "case out" the store (ie. plan a theft attempt).

*cough* That was going to be my go to answer if anyone ever asked me what the heck I was doing walking around there so much. :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    <snip>I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail. </snip>

Dear Donut Seeker,

The old folks weren't spies from the Calorie Force. Those were Super Special Secret Agents from the Low-Carb Crazy Brigade to keep you away from evil carbs.

Sincerely,

Major Chaos
    Low-Carb Crazy Brigade

PS... Home Depot is better for laps. jussayin
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

Ok spoil sport you can take a 5 minute time out. A singular as in One Donut is not a bad diet. A 2000 calorie day of donuts is a bad diet. If there was a world without maple bars I wouldn't want to exist on it. Btw I've lost 70 lbs so far so ;)

No need for rudeness and name-calling, OP. The point is that you have to account for your calories. While it might have been a one-time thing that you were discussing, you are the one that brought up the point about walking being enough to make up for eating a doughnut. Anyone who just came in to actually find out about this needs to know that it's not a good idea to think they can lose weight by just taking a walk and eating things like doughnuts. As I pointed out in my initial post, anyone would have to walk at a pretty brisk pace for well over an hour to burn off enough calories to account for one single doughnut.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

Ok spoil sport you can take a 5 minute time out. A singular as in One Donut is not a bad diet. A 2000 calorie day of donuts is a bad diet. If there was a world without maple bars I wouldn't want to exist on it. Btw I've lost 70 lbs so far so ;)

No need for rudeness and name-calling, OP. The point is that you have to account for your calories. While it might have been a one-time thing that you were discussing, you are the one that brought up the point about walking being enough to make up for eating a doughnut. Anyone who just came in to actually find out about this needs to know that it's not a good idea to think they can lose weight by just taking a walk and eating things like doughnuts. As I pointed out in my initial post, anyone would have to walk at a pretty brisk pace for well over an hour to burn off enough calories to account for one single doughnut.

No.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

That's 10 minutes and Remedial Humor.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I miss the days when I could burn off the donut just by walking an hour.

Damned weight loss!
  • blkandwhite77
    edited November 2015
    Options

Now see I wasn't rude. There's always one spoil sport in a conversation online and today it was you. Reminds me of a song my mom used to sing when we were being grumpy. Now stop bringing down a perfectly happy and fun post by being miserable.

Every party has a pooper that's why we invited you. Party pooper party pooper.. Quite a catchy tune actually. Now smile and enjoy life. It's such an awesome thing to have. Good day :D
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    <snip>I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail. </snip>

Dear Donut Seeker,

The old folks weren't spies from the Calorie Force. Those were Super Special Secret Agents from the Low-Carb Crazy Brigade to keep you away from evil carbs.

Sincerely,

Major Chaos
    Low-Carb Crazy Brigade

PS... Home Depot is better for laps. jussayin

Well in that case they failed their mission too as I ate the yummy carbs! <insert evil cackle here>

But but but Home Depot doesn't have awesome donuts!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Now see I wasn't rude. There's always one spoil sport in a conversation online and today it was you. Reminds me of a song my mom used to sing when we were being grumpy. Now stop bringing down a perfectly happy and fun post by being miserable.

Every party has a pooper that's why we invited you. Party pooper party pooper.. Quite a catchy tune actually. Now smile and enjoy life. It's such an awesome thing to have. Good day :D

All names... name calling. That's a pretty rude way to treat someone who is simply trying to help based on your original post.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    And against terms of service I believe.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Okay, presumably the toy aisle has two ends so you really only walked 6 laps and if you ate the donut had an excess of 175 calories so you'll gain weight. Either do not bring the kiddo or stop exercising at WALMART or stop eating donuts in the hopes you can walk enough to burn the calories. Your 209 calorie burn was probably from one of those hokey fitbit/garmin/donut measuring caloric burn devices. Throw it away. Done. Phew. . . .I need a donut.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Okay, presumably the toy aisle has two ends so you really only walked 6 laps and if you ate the donut had an excess of 175 calories so you'll gain weight. Either do not bring the kiddo or stop exercising at WALMART or stop eating donuts in the hopes you can walk enough to burn the calories. Your 209 calorie burn was probably from one of those hokey fitbit/garmin/donut measuring caloric burn devices. Throw it away. Done. Phew. . . .I need a donut.

What's wrong with measuring calories burned with a Fitbit? The calorie burn is an estimate so I don't eat those calories. The estimate is better than nothing.

Seeing the numbers rise (or not if I am sitting around) helps me move more. Nothing wrong with that.