How many laps around Walmart?

Options
blkandwhite77
blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Well in case you all are wondering how many laps around Walmart it will take to "earn" a donut my husband and I are about to find out. Yes, I'm serious. lol it may take a while because for some reason we find our quest hilarious and we can't stop laughing... Hey can we count the laughing into calories burned!? Stay tuned for lap updates :D

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I love walking around big box stores, or shopping centers, when it is cold out. I will even go to a store and walk at lunch, no excuses for the weather then and I can even get a little shopping done if I need to.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Ha! This is great!
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    I used to hate grocery shopping until I got a Fitbit and saw how many more steps it added to my day!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Well in case you all are wondering how many laps around Walmart it will take to "earn" a donut my husband and I are about to find out. Yes, I'm serious. lol it may take a while because for some reason we find our quest hilarious and we can't stop laughing... Hey can we count the laughing into calories burned!? Stay tuned for lap updates :D

MALL ZOMFG!!! Me and my mom go to the all all the time, never buy anything, but I use the walking to get myself a starbucks:)
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Back drop story... We were watching a show and they mentioned donuts. My fatty ears perked up and I said "I want donuts!" My husband cracks up and says "babe! They were talking about doing donuts in a car!" Well darn it I still want donuts! And thus the mission was born!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    I love walking around big box stores, or shopping centers, when it is cold out. I will even go to a store and walk at lunch, no excuses for the weather then and I can even get a little shopping done if I need to.

I have a Target right near my work so when it's extremely hot or pretty darned cold outside, I walk up and down the aisles for my lunch hour. Sooooooooooo like 3 times a week? :)

I'm surprised they haven't offered me a job by now. :)

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

Spoil sport...

Is there an online Wal Mart to Target conversion chart?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options

Math is hard.
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Is there an online Wal Mart to Target conversion chart?

Not to mention converting to stores around the world. We're metric in the UK! (Sometimes.) We'd have to convert to Sainsbury's or Tesco laps.

This laps for donuts thing is pretty complicated...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

I've heard this a lot, but it hasn't held true for me. Maybe you can't out-exercise a terrible diet, but I have walked my way out of (or into?) many questionable food choices according to my fitbit and the scale.

OP--I like to walk fast through crowded places like malls or airports. I call it crowd weaving and suspect that all of the dodging burns more calories while testing your reflexes as well! Enjoy your donut!!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    See, THIS is why people get fitbits...
  • juggernaut1974
    edited November 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.

What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.

the square root of Awesomesauce
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Asking for a friend.

Depends on if you're drunk or not.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Asking for a friend.

Depends on if you're drunk or not.

And how long it takes security to catch you and throw you out.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Asking for a friend.

Are we talking the burn for the person pushing, or the person riding?