How many laps around Walmart?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ok so I learned a valuable lesson... Our gym membership is a much cheaper way to exercise. Somehow our $2 donut burning expedition ended up being a $60 expedition. I also learned our 3 year old did not find it as fun to walk past the toy aisle a dozen plus times as we did.

I have failed the mission. I must admit I lost track of laps and I got bored so I started weaving in an out all of the aisles. I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail.

However, I did burn 209 calories which is almost a full donut. Add that into calories spent pushing the evil cart from hell and laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes just plotting this mission and I'm going to savor every morsel of my maple donut.

Plus, going to the gym tonight just in case lol thank you all for your support and while I may have failed this one mission we will win the war!

All I see there is a bunch of hoopla basically saying my math can't be proven wrong now...so it is in fact, the right answer. I knew I could do it...

28586.jpg

Reason #2 I like you. Reason # 1 will never change.

Ooh, ooh, I know this one! Pick me, pick me!

It's his winky monkey, right?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.

What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.

Depends on if you're drunk or not.

And how long it takes security to catch you and throw you out.

and whether or not the shopping cart is one of the few that has 4 properly working wheels. We all know that sticky front wheel will make those calorie burns around the corners skyrocket...

if all four wheels are broke and you go around the 24 laps at 6mph you will create a donut wormhole that will break the space donut continuum and then all donuts are zero calories.

Not true! I disagree . I've tested this method many times ( because Walmart walking is so much more fun then actually going to the gym ) and I realized that only Boston crème , chocolate glazed and vanilla danish are calorie free.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Ok so I learned a valuable lesson... Our gym membership is a much cheaper way to exercise. Somehow our $2 donut burning expedition ended up being a $60 expedition. I also learned our 3 year old did not find it as fun to walk past the toy aisle a dozen plus times as we did.

I have failed the mission. I must admit I lost track of laps and I got bored so I started weaving in an out all of the aisles. I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail.

However, I did burn 209 calories which is almost a full donut. Add that into calories spent pushing the evil cart from hell and laughing hysterically for a good ten minutes just plotting this mission and I'm going to savor every morsel of my maple donut.

Plus, going to the gym tonight just in case lol thank you all for your support and while I may have failed this one mission we will win the war!

All I see there is a bunch of hoopla basically saying my math can't be proven wrong now...so it is in fact, the right answer. I knew I could do it...

28586.jpg

a2edeb32.gif

But to be clear, it's a chimpanzee which is an ape...not a monkey. Didn't want you to get called out later...
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

28586.jpg

a2edeb32.gif

But to be clear, it's a chimpanzee which is an ape...not a monkey. Didn't want you to get called out later...

Glad we've cleared that up. Whew
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't. I didn't post anything based on laps, or anything like that. My post simply stated that the OP would have to walk at a pace quick enough to raise her heart rate, and that she would have to walk for more than an hour to burn off enough calories to earn that doughnut. Since the average doughnut is well over 250 calories (and she was talking about a maple something dougnut, which is likely well over 300), any average person at a walking pace, will have to walk for over an hour to burn that many calories. No assumptions there.

Regardless of the science involved, no post anywhere in the forums deserves name calling, joking or not.

Reality shows that assumptions were still involved.
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

Stating "well over an hour" assumes quite a few things. The OPs weight, the pace at which she walked, how fast her heart rate climbs, her basic cardiovascular health, her age, and the size and type of the donut which would determine the calories needed to break even on the event.

I generally agree with your statement of not being able to out exercise a bad diet. But we're talking about a single donut here. I often out exercise a trip to the food trucks with a couple beers involved. I can appreciate that you're one of the people that often brings up the valid point of weight loss being possible without exercise, as many overlook that as a potential choice. But in the terms of a single donut, even someone who doesn't exercise could fit that into their day.

Stated later in the post you said....
    Anyone who just came in to actually find out about this needs to know that it's not a good idea to think they can lose weight by just taking a walk and eating things like doughnuts.

Are you saying you never ate a donut or any other "junk food" snack the entire time period you couldn't exercise? Context is everything, and leaving out details leads to lack of complete context.

Are you trying to make little backhanded stabs at me for my 30 second math and obvious joke I did earlier? Lol. I sure hope not.

I thought it was a complete joke due to the twisted math, but when you posted the below I wasn't sure...

28586.jpg

And in either case some people seemed to think that there was actually at least some serious tone to the numbers, because they didn't do the math. That's why I simply pointed out that science fails when it includes assumptions.

Well, you didn't "simply" point out anything. You used a condescending tone as if I actually took the time and was really trying to figure "this" out. The fact that you thought I was actually serious is laughable...and kinda sad all at the same time. I would like to simply point out that life is a lot more fun when the stick is removed.

I've explained it above. If you don't like my reasoning for my explanation, then you might want to intentionally take a condescending tone and pass judgement.

Sticks have fiber. Fiber is an important part of a proper diet. After logging yesterday I knew I was deficient for the day, and sticks were close at hand. I've lost 40 pounds this way, and no science can convince me it is wrong!

And to top that, I will consider myself a party pooper. I think this guy says it best though.... Jennifer poops at parties
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Sorry, I didn't. I didn't post anything based on laps, or anything like that. My post simply stated that the OP would have to walk at a pace quick enough to raise her heart rate, and that she would have to walk for more than an hour to burn off enough calories to earn that doughnut. Since the average doughnut is well over 250 calories (and she was talking about a maple something dougnut, which is likely well over 300), any average person at a walking pace, will have to walk for over an hour to burn that many calories. No assumptions there.

Regardless of the science involved, no post anywhere in the forums deserves name calling, joking or not.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

Stating "well over an hour" assumes quite a few things. The OPs weight, the pace at which she walked, how fast her heart rate climbs, her basic cardiovascular health, her age, and the size and type of the donut which would determine the calories needed to break even on the event.

I generally agree with your statement of not being able to out exercise a bad diet. But we're talking about a single donut here. I often out exercise a trip to the food trucks with a couple beers involved. I can appreciate that you're one of the people that often brings up the valid point of weight loss being possible without exercise, as many overlook that as a potential choice. But in the terms of a single donut, even someone who doesn't exercise could fit that into their day.

Anyone who just came in to actually find out about this needs to know that it's not a good idea to think they can lose weight by just taking a walk and eating things like doughnuts.

Are you saying you never ate a donut or any other "junk food" snack the entire time period you couldn't exercise? Context is everything, and leaving out details leads to lack of complete context.

Are you trying to make little backhanded stabs at me for my 30 second math and obvious joke I did earlier? Lol. I sure hope not.

I thought it was a complete joke due to the twisted math, but when you posted the below I wasn't sure...

28586.jpg

And in either case some people seemed to think that there was actually at least some serious tone to the numbers, because they didn't do the math. That's why I simply pointed out that science fails when it includes assumptions.

Well, you didn't "simply" point out anything. You used a condescending tone as if I actually took the time and was really trying to figure "this" out. The fact that you thought I was actually serious is laughable...and kinda sad all at the same time. I would like to simply point out that life is a lot more fun when the stick is removed.

I've explained it above. If you don't like my reasoning for my explanation, then you might want to intentionally take a condescending tone and pass judgement.

Sticks have fiber. Fiber is an important part of a proper diet. After logging yesterday I knew I was deficient for the day, and sticks were close at hand. I've lost 40 pounds this way, and no science can convince me it is wrong!

And to top that, I will consider myself a party pooper. I think this guy says it best though.... Jennifer poops at parties

I have no idea what you are even trying to say. My issue was with your condescending tone... such as...
    I would post some hard nosed comment about the "science" involved and spit out a bunch of numbers in hopes that it would impress people. But then I'd have to face up to the fact that some simple math and making assumptions could kick my butt and leave me wondering why I ever put up some internet meme like I won an argument based on assumptions. And then I might get called out for interjecting Broscience as people know it here.

You obviously thought I was being serious, and decided to backhandedly call me out in a douchey tone. That's fine. Some people are just that way, but this is a thread about Wal-Mart laps....how anyone, including yourself, could possibly find that serious is beyond me. So no, you didn't just "simply" point out anything. You either A, made it a point to call me out in that tone, or B, just are that type of person. Either way, the stick removal process applies to both. If you need a scientific article on how to remove said stick, let me know.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit says I burn 11 calories a minute at my "exercising" pace, so that should be good for a couple of maple donuts per hour. I don't claim to be average, though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    <--- loves Winky Monkey Chimpy. <3
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Nope. I actually don't exercise at all, and if I want a donut, I eat one, and account for it in my calorie goal for the day.
    However, I was simply addressing the one-time scenario presented by the OP in her original post which was only this: walking around a store in order to burn enough calories to account for the calories in one doughnut. Period.
    And science says that any person who wants to burn enough calories to eat the doughnut needs to elevate his or her heart rate, and the OP is a woman. Most women will need to walk for at least an hour to burn the nearly 300 calories in the doughnut.

Science.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Still looking for a Target conversion chart. I boycotted Wally World when they changed their logo to that ridiculous asterisk looking thing.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Nope. I actually don't exercise at all, and if I want a donut, I eat one, and account for it in my calorie goal for the day.
    However, I was simply addressing the one-time scenario presented by the OP in her original post which was only this: walking around a store in order to burn enough calories to account for the calories in one doughnut. Period.
    And science says that any person who wants to burn enough calories to eat the doughnut needs to elevate his or her heart rate, and the OP is a woman. Most women will need to walk for at least an hour to burn the nearly 300 calories in the doughnut.

Science.

Woohoo! I walked for 1.5 hours pushing the cart from hell so trust me my heart was a pumpin! Wait does that mean I could have 1.5 donuts! Darn it I shorted myself! You're right a bad diet would simple be a bad diet. Yet, one donut is a treat. Hmm 1.5 donuts may have been a bad diet. Didn't short myself after all phew! I am a woman an obese woman so I'm sure somehow that factors in to a greater calorie burn but honestly that's too much math. I felt comfortable that I had worked sufficiently to earn my treat plus it was fun and that was the best part.

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    Still looking for a Target conversion chart. I boycotted Wally World when they changed their logo to that ridiculous asterisk looking thing.
    Sorry I don't shop at target so I'd be no help at all. Now if you wanted a Joanns or hobby lobby conversion I could totally almost probably still not help you
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Science.

Woohoo! I walked for 1.5 hours pushing the cart from hell so trust me my heart was a pumpin! Wait does that mean I could have 1.5 donuts! Darn it I shorted myself! You're right a bad diet would simple be a bad diet. Yet, one donut is a treat. Hmm 1.5 donuts may have been a bad diet. Didn't short myself after all phew! I am a woman an obese woman so I'm sure somehow that factors in to a greater calorie burn but honestly that's too much math. I felt comfortable that I had worked sufficiently to earn my treat plus it was fun and that was the best part.

The epitaph of many a weight loss effort.

• blkandwhite77
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

What if you load up a cart and push that around the whole time? That should increase the calorie burn, right?

Bonus calorie burn too for crashing your cart into the cart of the idiot who parks his/her cart on one side of the aisle while meticulously researching each and every can of crushed tomatoes on the other side of the aisle.

What is the burn if I put an adult person in the cart and run quickly up and down aisles and jumping onto the back rung of the cart and yelling "Weeeeeee!" ?

Asking for a friend.

and whether or not the shopping cart is one of the few that has 4 properly working wheels. We all know that sticky front wheel will make those calorie burns around the corners skyrocket...

if all four wheels are broke and you go around the 24 laps at 6mph you will create a donut wormhole that will break the space donut continuum and then all donuts are zero calories.

Asking for a friend.

Even the Boston cream?????? Well in that case a new mission must be planned!
  • blkandwhite77
    Options

Science.

Science.

Except I backed my comfortable feeling with calories burned by a total of 2.5 hours of exercise that day. The calories burned made me comfortable not just a giddy feeling of hope lol

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    Although based on this post and some of the oh so serious comments it almost feels like some are hoping you fail just so they can be proved correct. Well don't hold your breath :) I will not fail and that you can believe. ;)
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Although based on this post and some of the oh so serious comments it almost feels like some are hoping you fail just so they can be proved correct. Well don't hold your breath :) I will not fail and that you can believe. ;)

I have been thinking this lately. Because if you don't fail doing it your way maybe they are wrong about something? I have seen a LOT of this lately. makes me sort of throat punchy
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

1.148 Target laps for every WM lap. Has something to do with the black hole near the Home Decor department? You'll have to ask @Hornsby for the math.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It has nothing to do with hoping you fail. It has to do with all the people who have failed because they overestimate exercise and underestimate intake. If that doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Science.

The rest of us are addressing this part of the OP:

"lol it may take a while because for some reason we find our quest hilarious and we can't stop laughing... Hey can we count the laughing into calories burned!? Stay tuned for lap updates :D"

Note the "lol," "hilarious," two "laughing," and the smilie.