It's only "Natural" and the FDA wants your opinion!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Obviously they make and sell lots of cars in China. (Many, many people in China.) That wasn't the question.

This is a bit outdated, but I continue to think you were perhaps confusing China and Japan (although I really do hope not) and perhaps today with the 1980s: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanhalliday/2013/01/20/why-havent-chinese-cars-come-to-usa/
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It's already been stated up-thread that Carrageenan comes from Ireland. It grows exclusively in the Atlantic. That's a far cry from China.

Phillipines, Ireland and China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    did you know that the USDA now allows chicken to be sent to China for processing before being shipped back to the states for human consumption
    http://ecowatch.com/2015/07/14/china-chicken-export-import-deal/
    somehow, shipping a world away and then coming back is cheaper than just making the darn chicken nuggets at home
    too much money is being "given" to china
    (yes, i meant japan - confused)

That is so crazy, who knows what they put into it, I don't buy pre-cooked chicken so I think I'm good there, but still. Remember pet food?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see. I went to the plant link. Now various species of seaweed are used.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    i read in wikipedia
    while China is the main exporter to global markets in the US and Europe.
    so what is right?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan
    under production - 2nt paragraph

It looks to me that the Phillipines in 2011 was the largest producer but China was the largest exporter to the US and Europe. Is that what you meant?

As of 2011, global sales of carrageenan were estimated at $640 million.[6] The largest producer of industrial carrageenan was the Philippines, where cultivated seaweed produces about 80% of the world supply,[7] while China is the main exporter to global markets in the US and Europe.

Without really knowing the true answer I would think that China is purchasing from the Phillipines that which they cannot produce to export. Trade agreement maybe? I don't know though.

• anewstart22
    Options
    Here you can read about the never ending corruption in the food industry. It's enlightening.

cornucopia.org/USDA/OrganicWatergateWhitePaper.pdf
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    did you know that the USDA now allows chicken to be sent to China for processing before being shipped back to the states for human consumption
    somehow, shipping a world away and then coming back is cheaper than just making the darn chicken nuggets at home

That is so crazy, who knows what they put into it, I don't buy pre-cooked chicken so I think I'm good there, but still. Remember pet food?

That's the thing -- if you care about this stuff, why buy pre-cooked chicken or packaged nuggets? I don't particularly care about it, and yet I get almost all of my chicken from local farms.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It was fun making my own gummy candy. I actually boiled up the moss to extract the carrageenan, then mixed it with the other ingredients. It was really interesting and the texture was much better and more like the original gummy candy than the stuff we get now that is made with gelatin.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Here you can read about the never ending corruption in the food industry. It's enlightening.

cornucopia.org/USDA/OrganicWatergateWhitePaper.pdf

ahhh yes, the evil food companies are plotting our demise as we type away on MFP ….
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You've had a patch or skin prick test?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's the thing -- if you care about this stuff, why buy pre-cooked chicken or packaged nuggets? I don't particularly care about it, and yet I get almost all of my chicken from local farms.

Right? It isn't like your butcher is magically adding it to fresh chicken breasts.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the labelling. It makes sense for consumers to be able to know what is in products they buy. But without substantial research that an ingredient causes problems for a large fraction of people, we can't ban things that bother anyone at all. There would be little left.

I have an anaphylactic allergy to latex/rubber - eg I could stop breathing and have to carry an epi-pen at all times. Rubber is *everywhere* and I have learned to be careful & observant. General products are not required to be labelled and I've managed to keep myself alive. I am just aware of what might contain latex & am careful around those products. This should work for you. I do hope for your sake that the FDA adds carageenan to the list of things that must be included on the label. Good luck!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

It was fun making my own gummy candy. I actually boiled up the moss to extract the carrageenan, then mixed it with the other ingredients. It was really interesting and the texture was much better and more like the original gummy candy than the stuff we get now that is made with gelatin.

I've had good luck with pectin and agar as well.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    "Natural" has no formal definition or criteria to meet vs. say "organic". Just read the label...as a consumer, you are the one ultimately choosing what goes into your body; the FDA can't make your decisions for you. Time & resources are better spent on preventing outbreaks & contamination of food borne illnesses
  • anewstart22
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    "Natural" has no formal definition or criteria to meet vs. say "organic". Just read the label...as a consumer, you are the one ultimately choosing what goes into your body; the FDA can't make your decisions for you. Time & resources are better spent on preventing outbreaks & contamination of food borne illnesses

The point is, the product is NOT listed on the ingredients list, so how am I to know if it isn't there for me?

This has been an interesting thread, you have those who have their opinions, I have my opinion and we are all entitled to them. I can't say anymore than I already have. I want transparency in the labeling of carageenan, so that I can be diligent in not becoming ill because I ate something that does not have it listed. There are many people out there just like me who have problems with carageenan.

I am pretty positive that the people who had allergic reactions to those items which are required to be listed on labels such as, nuts, dairy, gluten, wheat flour, etc. had the same problems getting it recognized that it was harmful to their health. They also had a right to safe food labeling so they could stay away from what causes them ill effects.

• anewstart22
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    I'm with you on the labelling. It makes sense for consumers to be able to know what is in products they buy. But without substantial research that an ingredient causes problems for a large fraction of people, we can't ban things that bother anyone at all. There would be little left.

I have an anaphylactic allergy to latex/rubber - eg I could stop breathing and have to carry an epi-pen at all times. Rubber is *everywhere* and I have learned to be careful & observant. General products are not required to be labelled and I've managed to keep myself alive. I am just aware of what might contain latex & am careful around those products. This should work for you. I do hope for your sake that the FDA adds carageenan to the list of things that must be included on the label. Good luck!

I have the same thing but mine is not as bad as yours, sorry you have to go through that. My problems with Latex are not breathing, but by irritation and swelling of the areas in which latex touches my skin. No bandaids, no rubber straps when they take blood and no latex anything at the hospital. I had a surgery and wound up with humongous blisters caused by a latex tape back in the 90's, that's when I learned I had a reaction to latex. I never knew that when they took blood and I had the welts on my skin that it was abnormal. It took at least 1 week to heal though. All I remember is the Dr. yelling extremely loud for a nurse and him ripping the tape off. He ordered me to never allow anyone to use latex near my skin ever again. I have permanent scars from that, so now I just avoid anything latex.

Regarding the banning of carageenan. I see it this way, if carageenan causes me problems as it does now, then what is it doing to those unsuspecting individuals who are eating it in their foods now? Could it be later they develop problems? Who knows, but why take the chance to find out?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    wait you can buy moss at a store? or did you get it out of the ocean?

Moss doesn't grow in the ocean, just so you know.