It's only "Natural" and the FDA wants your opinion!

Options

Replies

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Here you can read about the never ending corruption in the food industry. It's enlightening.

cornucopia.org/USDA/OrganicWatergateWhitePaper.pdf

ahhh yes, the evil food companies are plotting our demise as we type away on MFP ….

Well, if you are not interested in who is controlling your food then so be it, it's your decision. I personally want to know what is in my food.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    when i lived in the south we had moss growing on trees
    could carreegean come from that?
    moss - what exactly is it?
    - i am about to learn something new

I can't answer that, my understanding is that carageenan comes from red seaweed.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    I have got to make some dinner, see you all later!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    did you know that the USDA now allows chicken to be sent to China for processing before being shipped back to the states for human consumption
    http://ecowatch.com/2015/07/14/china-chicken-export-import-deal/
    somehow, shipping a world away and then coming back is cheaper than just making the darn chicken nuggets at home
    too much money is being "given" to china
    (yes, i meant japan - confused)

That is so crazy, who knows what they put into it, I don't buy pre-cooked chicken so I think I'm good there, but still. Remember pet food?

That's the thing -- if you care about this stuff, why buy pre-cooked chicken or packaged nuggets? I don't particularly care about it, and yet I get almost all of my chicken from local farms.

This.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Ah, I see. I went to the plant link. Now various species of seaweed are used.

It was fun making my own gummy candy. I actually boiled up the moss to extract the carrageenan, then mixed it with the other ingredients. It was really interesting and the texture was much better and more like the original gummy candy than the stuff we get now that is made with gelatin.

Seriously? You made you own gummy candy?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It was fun making my own gummy candy. I actually boiled up the moss to extract the carrageenan, then mixed it with the other ingredients. It was really interesting and the texture was much better and more like the original gummy candy than the stuff we get now that is made with gelatin.

It was a kit I bought and I made it with my niece and nephew. Kind of a combined science and kitchen project.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It was a kit I bought and I made it with my niece and nephew. Kind of a combined science and kitchen project.

That's hilarious. I'm always at a loss for what to buy for my office holiday give-away game, and now this seems like an idea. I got a cheese making kit a couple years ago, so it might be too much of a rip off.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    "Natural" has no formal definition or criteria to meet vs. say "organic". Just read the label...as a consumer, you are the one ultimately choosing what goes into your body; the FDA can't make your decisions for you. Time & resources are better spent on preventing outbreaks & contamination of food borne illnesses

The point is, the product is NOT listed on the ingredients list, so how am I to know if it isn't there for me?

This has been an interesting thread, you have those who have their opinions, I have my opinion and we are all entitled to them. I can't say anymore than I already have. I want transparency in the labeling of carageenan, so that I can be diligent in not becoming ill because I ate something that does not have it listed. There are many people out there just like me who have problems with carageenan.

I am pretty positive that the people who had allergic reactions to those items which are required to be listed on labels such as, nuts, dairy, gluten, wheat flour, etc. had the same problems getting it recognized that it was harmful to their health. They also had a right to safe food labeling so they could stay away from what causes them ill effects.

Well then, that is blatant mislabeling & you should be entitled your money back. They didn't have any description of carageenan anywhere on the packaging? Not even listed vaguely as "other preservatives" or "artificial ingredients", etc.? Then that is total bull because inactive components consumed in substantially large quantities do matter...food labeling requires ingredients listed in order of quantity composition.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    Oooooohhhhhh.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/ConstituentUpdates/ucm471919.htm

Too bad as a Canadian I can't throw in my two cents. I suggest the FDA use the same definition already developed by the Brazilian food guide.

"Natural foods are those obtained directly from plants or
    animals (such as green leaves and fruits, or eggs and milk)
    and purchased for consumption without having undergone
    any alteration following their removal from nature.
    Minimally processed foods are natural foods which have
    been somewhat altered before being purchased. Examples
    include grains that are dried, polished, or ground as grits or
    are cooled or frozen; and pasteurised milk."

http://www.foodpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/Brazilian-Dietary-Guidelines-2014.pdf

You can get carageenan (which has been consumed by humans for thousands of years) just by boiling seaweed. Is that considered minimally processed?

Personally, I think seaweed is a great addition to a varied diet, but sadly is very hard to find in the U.S. other than in very small amounts in sushi, such as California roll (yeah, I know, technically not sushi). Maybe I should make a point of looking for foods with carageenan.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    "Natural" has no formal definition or criteria to meet vs. say "organic". Just read the label...as a consumer, you are the one ultimately choosing what goes into your body; the FDA can't make your decisions for you. Time & resources are better spent on preventing outbreaks & contamination of food borne illnesses

The point is, the product is NOT listed on the ingredients list, so how am I to know if it isn't there for me?

This has been an interesting thread, you have those who have their opinions, I have my opinion and we are all entitled to them. I can't say anymore than I already have. I want transparency in the labeling of carageenan, so that I can be diligent in not becoming ill because I ate something that does not have it listed. There are many people out there just like me who have problems with carageenan.

I am pretty positive that the people who had allergic reactions to those items which are required to be listed on labels such as, nuts, dairy, gluten, wheat flour, etc. had the same problems getting it recognized that it was harmful to their health. They also had a right to safe food labeling so they could stay away from what causes them ill effects.

Thing is, those allergic reactions are all recognized by the medical field as actually existing. As far as I've seen that is not (yet?) the case with this.
    And also the problems with at least nut allergies go so far that it has to be labelled even if it was only made in the same factory as things containing nuts. It doesn't even have to actually contain it, that's how bad of a reaction someone can have to them.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Thing is, those allergic reactions are all recognized by the medical field as actually existing. As far as I've seen that is not (yet?) the case with this.
    And also the problems with at least nut allergies go so far that it has to be labelled even if it was only made in the same factory as things containing nuts. It doesn't even have to actually contain it, that's how bad of a reaction someone can have to them.

I'm guessing the OP has not had a patch test.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options

No, I had complete blood workup, and it went just like happened to this person here. I don't have the skin problems with eczema he speaks of, I do have all the other symptoms regarding gastro issues. I was left on my own to figure out what my problem was. Go figure that one out and let me know how it works, ok?

eczemafreenaturally.com/are-you-allergic-to-carrageenan/
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    deleted

• anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options

Well then, that is blatant mislabeling & you should be entitled your money back. They didn't have any description of carageenan anywhere on the packaging? Not even listed vaguely as "other preservatives" or "artificial ingredients", etc.? Then that is total bull because inactive components consumed in substantially large quantities do matter...food labeling requires ingredients listed in order of quantity composition.

I'll take a look this weekend when I go shopping, hopefully they have that brand on the shelf when I go back. It wasn't there last week, I wanted to get a picture of it. I believe it said something in the order of, "All natural, no artificial ingredients, no preservatives, brine solution". But I am not positive on it's actual wording. I need a photo of it. Here is another thing, because carageenan comes from a naturally grown component it is considered, "natural". I need to know it's there.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options

I know, I had someone from church who came by my house once to pick some things up, she stood at the door with her son and refused to come in unless I promised I had not eaten any peanut butter. I hadn't and I told her so, she demanded again to make sure before she would come in my house. Her son was deathly allergic to peanuts and apparently a person couldn't even have it on their breath around him.

Those being recognized had to be fought for and fighting the way through to get the studies done to prove the problem. That is what I want, I need this ingredient to be recognized for what it is, and I want it properly labeled. Until a person that does not have a problem with it, actually experiences what myself and many others experience, they will never know the pain and suffering.
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Oops! Deleted because I quoted in the wrong place again.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    when i lived in the south we had moss growing on trees
    could carreegean come from that?
    moss - what exactly is it?
    - i am about to learn something new

I guess red seaweed is also known as Irish Moss.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    did you know that the USDA now allows chicken to be sent to China for processing before being shipped back to the states for human consumption
    http://ecowatch.com/2015/07/14/china-chicken-export-import-deal/
    somehow, shipping a world away and then coming back is cheaper than just making the darn chicken nuggets at home
    too much money is being "given" to china
    (yes, i meant japan - confused)

That is so crazy, who knows what they put into it, I don't buy pre-cooked chicken so I think I'm good there, but still. Remember pet food?

That's the thing -- if you care about this stuff, why buy pre-cooked chicken or packaged nuggets? I don't particularly care about it, and yet I get almost all of my chicken from local farms.

I don't buy pre-cooked chicken, where did you get that in my statement you quoted? I hope you know just how lucky you are to have fresh chicken available to you and your family.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

No, I had complete blood workup, and it went just like happened to this person here. I don't have the skin problems with eczema he speaks of, I do have all the other symptoms regarding gastro issues. I was left on my own to figure out what my problem was. Go figure that one out and let me know how it works, ok?

eczemafreenaturally.com/are-you-allergic-to-carrageenan/

So you suspect it to be carrageenan, but haven't had a skin test. Would suggest you try this:

http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/reaction-ice-cream-kernel-oil.aspx

Not sure that your link has anything to do with anything - it talks about uncertainty of testing, a symptom you don't have and the need to evaluate thoroughly. Do a skin test at home, it might help. Could just as easily be locust bean or another additive... just trying to help.