I can't do a freaking squat

Options

Replies

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    First, good comment about the weight in the video I posted. I thought that it was a bit flaky that he was grunting and grounding despite having 135 tops on that bar. He didn't have to act like it was really heavy because it wasn't.

I wouldn't Squat the way he does in the first video. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm saying I'd be surprised if he didn't have knee problems at some point. I'm sure the knee wraps help keep everything in place in the short term though.

The second link only showed a single squat, and he just went past a touch. I wouldn't call that bad either, and far better in my book than the first. All the rest were snatches and stuff.

Maybe we should just agree there are a lot of different ways to squat. Bodybuilders are going to Squat different than power lifters and everyone will adapt a stance that works for them. In the first video, he is using a very narrow foot stance, and that's a whole topic we haven't even talked about.

For me, if my knees went out as far as his does in first link, I'd be limping around for days.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    First, good comment about the weight in the video I posted. I thought that it was a bit flaky that he was grunting and grounding despite having 135 tops on that bar. He didn't have to act like it was really heavy because it wasn't.

I wouldn't Squat the way he does in the first video. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm saying I'd be surprised if he didn't have knee problems at some point. I'm sure the knee wraps help keep everything in place in the short term though.

The second link only showed a single squat, and he just went past a touch. I wouldn't call that bad either, and far better in my book than the first. All the rest were snatches and stuff.

Maybe we should just agree there are a lot of different ways to squat. Bodybuilders are going to Squat different than power lifters and everyone will adapt a stance that works for them. In the first video, he is using a very narrow foot stance, and that's a whole topic we haven't even talked about.

For me, if my knees went out as far as his does in first link, I'd be limping around for days.

Which is what we said.... in addition to the fact that individual limb lengths and such will impact biomechanics.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Nice article from Bret Contreras on bodyweight squats to help form.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-do-a-deep-bodyweight-squat-daily

I need to work on that range of motion

Frequent, light goblet squats also seem to help a ton.

@sidesteel or anyone who knows

I need to keep my wrists neutral (bilateral tendonitis finally resolving after months and don't want to risk it) - any suggestions for those goblet squats? - getting a weight to that position I assume would involve more range of movement than I'm currently comfortable with.
  • drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of hurting my back if I do squats, currently I do squats with no weight on a Bosu ball (standing on flat side) Hoping to build up to doing with weights
  • Sued0nim
    Options

@sidesteel or anyone who knows

I need to keep my wrists neutral (bilateral tendonitis finally resolving after months and don't want to risk it) - any suggestions for those goblet squats? - getting a weight to that position I assume would involve more range of movement than I'm currently comfortable with.

Plates straight off the squat rack?
  • mk123456001
    mk123456001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you have poor hip flexibility (like I do) I find pointing your toes out a bit helps you be able to drop into that deep pocket.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Preventing the knees from going past the toes requires you to push your hips back further. Depending on segment lengths it may require you to push your hips back quite a bit further.

You are exchanging forces on the knee for forces on the low back.

Whether or not this is a good idea is going to depend on the individual.

For me, it's a very, very bad idea.

That, and center of mass. If doing that puts your center of mass behind your feet, you're going to fall over. Landing on your pelvis with hundreds of pounds resting on your back does not sound ilike fun.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

sidesteel or anyone who knows

@rabbit You might try really light zercher squats instead. Do you have access to a bar that is lighter than 45 lbs?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of hurting my back if I do squats, currently I do squats with no weight on a Bosu ball (standing on flat side) Hoping to build up to doing with weights

out of curiosity, how would one hurt ones back doing a barbell squat...?
  • SingDanceAct13
    SingDanceAct13 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to have a really hard time with squats, but doing them on the smith machine at the gym really helped my form! Now I can finally do a good squat :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

@rabbit You might try really light zercher squats instead. Do you have access to a bar that is lighter than 45 lbs?

Thanks @jemmh ...think my tendonitis will rule out that kind of movement towards my tender elbows ..eek..for the moment

That's a weird ol squat
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I love love zerchers. They are great
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I used to have a really hard time with squats, but doing them on the smith machine at the gym really helped my form! Now I can finally do a good squat :)

yea, no ...

you might want to do a form check if you learned proper form on a smith machine...just saying...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

yea, no ...

you might want to do a form check if you learned proper form on a smith machine...just saying...

This
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Thanks @jemmh ...think my tendonitis will rule out that kind of movement towards my tender elbows ..eek..for the moment

That's a weird ol squat

you can always place the bar across your arms and then grip with your hands so that your arms make an X over the top of the bar...that is what I do because my writs are jacked up ...if that makes sense...
  • Sued0nim
    Options

The problem with the smith machine is it doesn't get your form right nor engage the muscles as well

You might want to move to free weights again
  • ndj1979
    Options

The problem with the smith machine is it doesn't get your form right nor engage the muscles as well

You might want to move to free weights again

I read that as the poster learned on a smith and moved to free weights, but perhaps she is still squatting on a smith..? Either way it does not sound good...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

yea, no ...

While i agree, i just wanted to point out that she may have strengethened her glutes, hamstrings, or increased range of motion to where she can actually perform a proper squat now.

I have worked with some people who can't do a squat without falling over

**edit*** not to say that she can do one with proper form now, considering the smith machine is not ideal for that or the stabilization required.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

yea, no ...

While i agree, i just wanted to point out that she may have strengethened her glutes, hamstrings, or increased range of motion to where she can actually perform a proper squat now.

maybe, but I doubt it as the smith would not work the stabilizer muscles and also places too much stress on the knees...

Also, would one not learn with goblet squats or something, before progressing to barbell squats?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

yea, no ...

maybe, but I doubt it as the smith would not work the stabilizer muscles and also places too much stress on the knees...

Also, would one not learn with goblet squats or something, before progressing to barbell squats?

If one knew what one was doing.... :P