Options
1235»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So the BMR is guesswork

And HRM is probably not an accurate reflection of your TDEE cos they're not

But it's working for you ...which is all anyone needs to know :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    rainbowblu wrote: »
    We have all met a person who eats A LOT of EVERYTHING and never gains weight,so why is it so hard to believe the opposite? One of my best friends is 5'8 and 120lbs.. People made fun of her for being too skinny so she used to eat 2 whole pizzas a day and drink a gallon of chocolate milk,snickers and everything to try to gain weight.She never gained weight..why? She was obviously eating way more than she should(for Years!). We all know people like this... If there are people who overeat and don't gain weight why is it so hard to believe that not every overweight person overeats? "Science is just science until it's not." K.W. I have been saying that for years.. There are many things in science that were not fully known or understood until some other scientist discovered something. I believe that weight/metabolism/hormones have a looooooong way to go in the scientific world.
    All I know is that before I had PCOS I was like most of you... Judgemental. I used to hear people saying " I'm doing everything I can..ect,ect." I secretly would think that they were lying,binge eating,or not being accurate. But,now I know better.

Your journey is YOUR OWN- the way that you are affected by PCOS will not be the same for another person.

I call BS on eating 2 whole pizzas, a gallon of chocolate milk, and a Snickers every day. Maybe once or twice? Maybe. On an ongoing basis? No. Very light people who think they eat "a ton" and never gain eat less than they think. A good number of them are also more active than other people, whether through exercise or through NEAT activity (fidgeting, etc.)

Yeah - it's amazing how when you put these 'magical-metabolism' people under the microscope it turns out that there is no magic or different metabolic rates - it's calorie intake and calorie burn only

there's a good example of that on video I've posted a few times but I'm not on my home pc so can't link now - if anyone else can to the metabolism testing and the doubly water trials that would be good (for the lurkers)

Are you talking about this one?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

Where the overweight woman was eating way more than she thought but blaming it on a slow metabolism (which turned out to be completely untrue)? And her friend who supposedly ate all the foods, all the time turned out to not eat nearly as much as either of them thought?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Errrica91 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Errrica91 wrote: »
    I haven't heard about Inositol other than that it's for PCOS. I also take Prometrium Rx progesterone for my PCOS and endo. That's to balance the hormones, because I do have too many androgens.

The Metformin is Rx for IR/diabetes. The herbs and mineral I take are other things that can help the blood sugar levels. Mine got too high, so that's why I take so much to help with my sugars. Oh, and I take the RDA of Magnesium, too. That's another mineral (along with Chromium) that can help. Fenugreek is just an herb, and Bilberry is a very yummy fruit. I cut my capsules open and eat that one, lol.

Both Fenugreek and Bilberry also help with stomach troubles like I have, so that's half of why I take them. I have GERD.

I'm sorry to hear that:( two of my friends have GERD too and it's really "unpleasant" at least:(
    Not sure if my doc will be willing to put me on Metformin so I'll go with Inositol and see what happens:) Don't worry if my auntie wasn't a nurse I wouldn't know about Inositol either:D

Is your doc a regular doc or an endocrinologist?

I go to both endocrinologist and gynecologist - since I'm not exactly obese and eat healthy diet - they don't care that I gained about 17 lbs in two months about two years ago WITHOUT any change in my diet or exercise AND without being underweight before :-) It's just part of my heart disease AND PCOS in their opinion:/

find new doctors if they don't care - you should get a new attitude as well. your responses to people trying to help are absolutely uncalled for.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We have all met a person who eats A LOT of EVERYTHING and never gains weight,so why is it so hard to believe the opposite? One of my best friends is 5'8 and 120lbs.. People made fun of her for being too skinny so she used to eat 2 whole pizzas a day and drink a gallon of chocolate milk,snickers and everything to try to gain weight.She never gained weight..why? She was obviously eating way more than she should(for Years!). We all know people like this... If there are people who overeat and don't gain weight why is it so hard to believe that not every overweight person overeats? "Science is just science until it's not." K.W. I have been saying that for years.. There are many things in science that were not fully known or understood until some other scientist discovered something. I believe that weight/metabolism/hormones have a looooooong way to go in the scientific world.
    All I know is that before I had PCOS I was like most of you... Judgemental. I used to hear people saying " I'm doing everything I can..ect,ect." I secretly would think that they were lying,binge eating,or not being accurate. But,now I know better.

Your journey is YOUR OWN- the way that you are affected by PCOS will not be the same for another person.

I call BS on eating 2 whole pizzas, a gallon of chocolate milk, and a Snickers every day. Maybe once or twice? Maybe. On an ongoing basis? No. Very light people who think they eat "a ton" and never gain eat less than they think. A good number of them are also more active than other people, whether through exercise or through NEAT activity (fidgeting, etc.)

I was one of these people that others thought could eat anything without gaining...because I could pack away *a lot* of food. But then my internal regulator would kick in and I would eat less than usual for a while. I was also rediculously active.

I even believed it myself for many years. When I started tracking and trying to gain (because scrawny) was when I finally figured out what was happening for myself.

All of the studies I've read are consistent with this too...that metabolism is generally dependent on size and activity, not some drastic individual differences.

And I graduated HS at 5'11" ~115 pounds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options

I've never seen that. Excellent.

I was a "she eats so much and doesn't gain weight" person in high school. I graduated weighing 115 at 5'6" but ranged between 105 and 115 through h.s. I ate a Snickers at lunch 4 days a week, which made my friends see me as eating junk food all the time. But that's all I ate for lunch those days. Snickers and water. 250 calories total. That's because I got $10 per week for lunch money and if I spent $.75 for lunch four days a week I had enough to go out one day and get a 6" Subway sub and a drink and pocket the change so I could buy a package of Spree at the basketball game on Saturday night. Or I could go out a couple of days and get a single McDonald's hamburger and small fry and have enough to buy a package of Reese's cups on the weekend. For breakfast I had a couple of pieces of toast and jam or a bowl of cereal, and hot tea. For supper whatever meat my mom made and salad. I usually skipped the mashed potatoes because I didn't like them. That's it, no snacks. That's not a lot of calories but a lot came from "junk food" so my friends thought I ate a ton. Same goes for college. I ate a bit more then but I was way more active due to walking around campus between classes and for my job (I gave 40 minute walking tours to prospective students four times a week) so I burned more calories.

Ya, along these lines, anyone who eats dinner with my mom would think she eats a ton of food. However, she is also 1. extremely active and 2. frequently skips meals.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    ...Any doctor telling you 'hormones go crazy' should be struck off .. or at least sent back to school .. because science...

Dude, that was basically my diagnosis at the ER the other day, lol! I went to a doc-in-the-box one Saturday night because of how I was feeling, with heart palpitations too, so I just wanted to know my blood pressure, etc, to know how to take my beta blocker that night and whether a decongestant was OK to take. She sent me to the ER!

Hours and a gazillion of tests later, because of the timing of it in my cycle and other symptoms, the doc said it's perimenopause and that my hormones were 'probably going crazy', lol. They can cause the sudden incredible fatigue and heart palpitations.

That has nothing to do with weight, but I just thought it was funny. Hormones are a b!tch.

PCOS can get really out of hand with the hormones, too. Women growing beards, unable to conceive, turning diabetic, etc. It really can be a very big deal and unpredictable to boot.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hormones can indeed be a b1tch

As can I...on hormones ;)

But what they can never, should never, be is an excuse
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Everyone, I want to provide a reminder of the following rules:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Please make sure that we keep conversation to debate and discussion. We don't need insults or attacks.

psuLemon
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I understand. I gave up asking or telling people about PCOS and IR years ago.People who don't suffer with these conditions don't understand.Sometimes we hear the calories in vs. Calories out Soooooo much,that we forget that there are people with VALID HEALTH ISSUES that cause us to lose weight MUCH slower. MFP may not be the place to ask.. Maybe a forum for people with PCOS/IR would get you more answers.

Anyways... I'm 5'9 and My weight stays the same(or I gain) at 1500 calories if I eat the standard American diet.. I have to eat 1100 on the SAD to lose weight every week(YES I weigh and measure). This was at 300lbs btw. If I take Metformin I can eat 100 grams of carbs per day and 1500 cal and lose weight. Without medication I have to eat 1100 calories of the SAD,or do a LCHF diet. When I did an Atkins or similar plan I could eat 1500 or more calories and lose weight.... It took me YEARS to figure it out... As of now I try to eat 50 or less carbs a day,walk 10,000 steps daily,and occasionaly go to the gym and I lose 2.5 per week for the last 15 weeks...

What helps is to try things for a few weeks and constantly tweak your plan until it works.Also,you might need medication if your IR/PCOS is bad.. I stopped taking the Meds,but I know that IR makes it waaay easier to get type 2 Diabetes so I'm trying to fix it now. The BEST things for IR is exercise and low carbs.Good luck on your journey.

It is highly recognized that people with PCOS and especially IR have different reactions based on macronutrient composition. It's why, anyone you get to a PCOS thread, we always like to the PCOS group and suggest LCHF. That is because many with PCOS have associated issues with carbs. Some don't have the issue as bad as others, so carb gram ranges can vary vastly. For my wife, she is more borderline PCOS (w/o IR) but also has postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome... with POTS, depending on how advanced you have it, then carbs can also be an issue.

IIRC, the reason is those with IR have longer periods of elevated insulin. And since insulin is an anticatabolic hormone, it would make sense that calorie for calorie, those with IR, would benefit from a LCHF since their body doesn't regulate insulin like a person without a medical issue would.

Here is the link to the PCOS group.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OP, the two biggest inaccuracies we see on this forum is accuracy and logging. This is why we ask if you use a food scale (based on you being evasive, i suspect your answer is no) and since you don't have an open food diary, it's hard to check that one.

Is it possible that your bmr is lower than it should be.. possibly, but if you want to know, get a metabolic test done. You can do a resting metabolic rate test done as many universities and some teaching hospitals.
  • smileylace
    smileylace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5'2, 174, 36% BF (strarted at 194 42% BF). Diagnosed with PCOS/IR/metabolic syndrome in Sept. I consume 1330 calories - less than 25g of carbs, more fat than protein. Been on low carb diet for almost two months. Endo prescribed metformin, decided to try low carb to see if I was able to lose weight. I also started boxing (hitting bag) 3-4 times a week and use a HRM to track calorie burn. I've lost almost 20lbs and have decreased my BF from 42% to 36%. I've played around with my macros a bit and find that I need to consume fat in order to lose weight. If I don't meet my macros I stall. I also have insosital but wanted to see if I could lose weight without any type of pills other than vitamins. I've never been able to lose weight until now. Hope this helps
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    OP - PCOS, IR and Celiac...stick with the GF diet another 12-18 months and you will begin to find the PCOS and IR resolve themselves. IR resolved itself in about 18 months, PCOS in just over 2 years. Auto-immune diseases affect everything more than you think they should. Let your intestines get better. Maintain where you are. If you have enough muscle to burn 300 calories per pilates session, you're probably not actually fat even if you aren't in the normal BMI range. (which you may be, I didn't look it up.)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has ever studied PCOS and weightlifting? Out of our teeny little sample size here, lifting is coming up among those who have PCOS and do great.

Thanks for the condolences on GERD! It can get really painful when I overdo, yep!

I don't know if it's been studied but I have read, over and over and over, recommendations for women with PCOS to build muscle. Most women, PCOS or not, would benefit from building some muscle, though.

They would; I agree :) I'm wondering if there's a hormonal effect. I'm not up on weightlifting hormonal changes.

I do know that the extra androgens from my PCOS probably help explain why I grew up "naturally muscular". That's a nice little perk to go along with the bad. I eventually got the bad kind of facial hair, though, so I did decide to cut down the androgens a bit by going on progesterone!

If I recall correctly from another thread, androgens are usually up in PCOS, but it is not free androgen, it is bound, and thus isn't as anabolic - I believe it was said free androgen levels might actually be lower in PCOS.
    Having extra muscle might dilute the androgens / provide more receptors to bind them but that would be pure speculation on my part.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Is also bad temper a symptom of PCOS?
    Just wondering...
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    Just wondering...
    Actually, yes. it can be.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    Just wondering...
    Actually, yes. it can be.

Now I get it ;)
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread, but I'll just leave this here.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Yeah - it's amazing how when you put these 'magical-metabolism' people under the microscope it turns out that there is no magic or different metabolic rates - it's calorie intake and calorie burn only

there's a good example of that on video I've posted a few times but I'm not on my home pc so can't link now - if anyone else can to the metabolism testing and the doubly water trials that would be good (for the lurkers)

I had a friend like this growing up- she was always rail thin, and she ate nothing but junk food, so I had the idea she must have a raging metabolism.

Then when we lived together in college, I realized- she ate no breakfast. She generally ate no lunch. Hungry by dinner time, she might eat an order of fries and chicken nuggets for dinner, and then... that was it. She was a very picky eater- she really only liked fried foods and only a few of those, so few snacks, no desserts. Just about one meal of fast food a day. And she was pretty active.

So while it was technically true that she ate "nothing but junk," she didn't eat all that much food, total. It just *looked* like she ate a ton to those of us who eat more often and assume that in addition to the high-calorie meals we see someone eating, they must also be eating more at home.

I've also known several people who frequently ate enormous amounts in public but were bulimic, or exercise bulimics in private.

Diet is like budget- you can't extrapolate from what you perceive other people to be doing to really know the whole story. Just because someone drives a fancy car doesn't mean they're rich, and just because someone eats a whole pizza in front of you doesn't mean they're actually consuming more calories than they burn.