Too heavy to run

Hi everybody,

I'm 37 years old and weigh 109.5 kg (this morning). My highest weight was about 123 kg. I would like to start jogging and do a bit of running, but at this weight I feel too heavy for that, and I'm also worried something bad might happen if I start too early, so I'm waiting until I am under 100 kg or so.

Any advice? What is a good weight to do jogging or running? If you lost weight, at what weight did you start jogging or running?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• It really depends on the state of your joints, particularly your feet, knees and hips. Anyone can run SOME distance. I would recommend trying a Couch to 5K program. There's lots of apps for smartphones for it. Essentially it takes you from not running at all and slowly builds up over the weeks to being able to complete a 5km run.

If you have the cardiovascular capacity to briskly walk for half an hour, and your feet and joints don't hurt, try adding a slow jog for 30 to 60 seconds a few times during your walk. Continue to add intensity until your joints start to complain (you mightn't feel it until the next day, so ramp up intensity slowly so you don't overshoot your ability).

If you find an intensity level that makes your joints hurt, then back off intensity slightly and train at that level for a few weeks before trying to up your intensity again.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Just start slow. Stop making excuses. If it hurts then stop. At least you tried.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Stop making excuses. Walk until you can run if that is a goal for you. Start with a block if that is all you can manage.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Walk to start. I did. Once around the block turned into twice around the block, turned into once around three blocks, turned into a mile walk, turned into a mile with a quarter of that jogged,... turned into 4 miles in 44 minutes. A journey of a thousand miles starts but with one step. Take that step. Stat slow and progress as you progress.

Stop to smell the roses along the way. Enjoy.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Hi everybody,

I'm 37 years old and weigh 109.5 kg (this morning). My highest weight was about 123 kg. I would like to start jogging and do a bit of running, but at this weight I feel too heavy for that, and I'm also worried something bad might happen if I start too early, so I'm waiting until I am under 100 kg or so.

Any advice? What is a good weight to do jogging or running? If you lost weight, at what weight did you start jogging or running?

Thank you in advance.

Walk, then walk some more. If you cannot walk the distance you plan to run, it is not a good idea to try running it anyway. If you can walk, then you can start adding running intervals. Slow running intervals to start with.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Hi everybody,

Thank you in advance.

I started running when I was about 10-15 pound heavier than you and I have knee problems. I started slowly by walking and then jogging slow intervals. I tried the c25k program and always got stuck on week 4 so I joined a local running group for beginners and ran minutes straight the first time out! I am still slow, but I enjoy running and my knee problems aren't as bad anymore. I found out that my knee and ankles collapse inwards when I run and I ordered custom orthotics to wear in my shoes that have helped immensely!

Make sure to get good running shoes fitted for you and your gait, and start slowly as in others are walking faster than your jog slowly. You can increase your speed once you have built up your endurance.

Good luck and enjoy your running!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    edited November 2015
    All decent advice. Progress slowly and be aware of joint pain. Do not confuse sore - stiff muscles, from joint pain. Joint pain is what you want to avoid. Typical routine for complete newcomers is something like

Do each of these for about 3 or 4 sessions (30 mins or so)
    walk....walk briskly....increase the distance.....throw in some interval jogs(less than a minute to start) then walk until lungs and heart recover.....stretch out those intervals....soon enough you will be jogging for more of the distance than walking.
    May take you a few months to get to the point where you are jogging for 5+ minutes but you will get there.
    Have fun

There are other options like biking, swimming and elliptical trainer which have less impact. Running is not easy on the body though. I'm not sure there is a 'weight limit', and I've seen some pretty large people run half marathons! You have to listen to your body!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Agree with all of the above. Give it a try and if it hurts too much, do walking for now until some weight loss.

When I run races, I see all sizes out running including your weight.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 350 Member
    Agree with some posters; why not walk? You can start at a slow pace if you're confortable with that, & increase your speed gradually until you are power-walking @ a fast pace. Your breathing & endurance will improve, your weight will decrease, & your leg muscles will strengthen to help your knees. Once you feel good woth that, you can start to jog. No need to rush, take your time, but it will work. Good luck!
  • Drizzle_3732
    Drizzle_3732 Posts: 1 Member
    This was a problem for me at first. I didn't like running therefore I started swimming and riding my bike instead of running. It didn't even feel like I was exercise. I felt great and I looked great. Try it! :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    1) jogging is running
    2) get shoes from a running store. tell them your goals, weight if they asked(be honest), and what sort of terrain you will be on. they should watch you walk and run(just a few strides) to see what shoes will fit you best. and buy those shoes, though you can ask if they have any of last years model.
    3) see if you can walk briskly for a half hour. if you cannot, work on walking briskly for a block and then walk normal.-or whatever measure of distance you want to use
    3) when you can do that, use a structured plan to get started. while they aren't for everyone, they are great for beginners. they help you not do too much too soon. examples: zombie run and couch to 5k
    4) follow the program and go slow.
    5)be kind to yourself. when i started my mind was not very nice while i tried to run. ignore it. tell yourself you are doing great and you will feel so much better and whatever other positive affirmations you can think of

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    There is no reason to run and overwork your joints.
    Project your joints.
    Do walking, swimming, weight lifting.
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    If you want to jog, do it! But yeah, get a couch to 5k training program. Also get good shoes! Baby those feet when you start.
    If you do the couch to 5k, remember you can advance at whatever pace is comfortable to you. If you want to do week 1 day3 for 3 weeks in a row, then do it. Advance at a pace that feels good to you. If you are worried about impact injuries, pay special attention to those spots. Ice if needed, and take rest days seriously.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Make sure you have good shoes, especially if you have had any foot problems or flat feet. Most lower priced running shoes are neutral shoes and are designed for ideal feet. If you have flat feet or any foot/ankle problems then you might need a support shoe. You need to take care of your feet because they will take a lot of abuse and you don't want to be sidelined with a preventable injury.

C25K is a good program that a lot of people have had success with. Just take it at your own pace. If you can't do the full running interval then walk. If you feel like you didn't do well on a session or like the running volume is increasing too fast, then do the same workout next time.

Don't compare compare yourself to others. It will just encourage you to push too hard. Embrace your own journey to fitness.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If you're not comfortable running yet, walk. Walking is fantastic exercise.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited November 2015
    A friend of mine started by doing the couch to 5k but walking the run bits as fast as possible! They did the full 9 weeks then started it again but ran the run parts.

Start now, you really can do it and congratulations on your weight loss so far :)

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    I started out walking. Gradually started jogging some and really only run in races. Consistency is your key. Good Luck on your Journey
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Walk
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Then walk faster

then faster

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    I ran and played Ultimate Frisbee at 100kg. I'm also a 5'11" guy, but still, I was obese. Now I actually run on occasion (not just to catch a frisbee), and did a 5k last week at 84kg.

There is no "right" weight. Just go out and try, and if you start to feel any joint pain revert to walking. Granted, if you don't run you won't make it far before you have to revert to walking due to muscle and cardio restrictions, but that is perfectly fine.

I also like couch to 5k, but didn't do it myself. Since I previously ran when playing Ultimate I just did a run as long as I could (~10 minutes) followed by a 5 minute walk and then repeat. I kept at it until I knocked out 2 15 minute runs, and then last week just dropped the 5 minute walk between runs and kept going until I hit 5k (I'm pretty slow).
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    As many have stated above, walking is an outstanding first step. That's how I began my journey of losing 60lbs in 3 months. Started taking dog for walk for 30 mins...then an hr...then two hrs. As your weight decreases you get more and more excited. Eventually I DID start jogging..and I've always hated jogging but in time, I even got good at that. At one point I could run for 2 hrs non stop...my only regret is that I didn't spend time in the gym doing sometype of weights. I did start that after about 6 months and 18 months later got on stage as a bodybuilder. All because I started walking...
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    I started running at 270 pounds and become addicted. I hated the idea but decided to give it a try on the treadmill one day. 5 years later, I was still running. It was the most relaxing thing I could do. I loved putting my head phones in and just going for a long run. Oh yeah, I lost 70 pounds along the way too lol.

Interestingly enough, I stopped running and started lifting more, and rapidly lost more weight. I had to give running up about 3 months ago. I've been miserable, I want to go out and run so bad. The doctors have found what they are calling a "degenerative" issue within my knee cartilage. At 35 I have three areas in my knee that are bone on bone. I went in for surgery and it was too extensive to repair, so I am approved for a knee replacement already. So, if you have arthritis, pay attention to your knees. Understand running is going to hurt at first, you will be really sore. But, sore is different than an injury. Make sure you know the difference. And oh yeah, back to my point, make sure you are lifting too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Running isn't required for weight loss. There are tons of activities you can do that will improve your heart and lung health. Focusing on calorie intake is the most important part of weight loss. Physical activity can help, but it's not going to cause the weight loss. Walking, hiking, strength training, swimming, riding a bicycle, and so many other activities are available.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Goodness gracious, people, it's not just excuses! At over 200 pounds (90 KG) I was too afraid to run for good reason. There is extra stress on all the joints. My weight loss team preferred I do water exercise until I was lighter but I just couldn't get in to it.

@kattyjamesmfp , let your body be your guide. I walked before I ran. I had the same fears you have and I did not try running until I dropped under 200 pounds. My daughter was very afraid I would hurt myself so I took an eight week running class to allay her fears (and mine). I tried lots of things and the ones I found enjoyable I stuck with.

I took up running because walking was getting easy (and boring).
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Just wanted to echo everybody's comments here. If you want to run - start running. Do C25K. Focus on running the speed that you need to run to complete the distance. Get some good shoes, and watch lots of YouTube videos on proper running form. It will go a long way towards easing the stress you put on your joints. Also - jogging is a dirty word. A runner is a runner no matter what speed. Don't cheapen your achievement by saying "oh, I'm only jogging". I started running at 250 lbs (113 kg?) and arthritic knees. I did the Couch 2 5K and ran my first mile in 6 weeks. Since then I've run every distance from 5Ks to marathons and I'm training for a 50K now. You can do anything you put your mind to, just remember - run the speed that you need to run to complete the distance. Fast running will come later.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Project your joints.

I agree with this but I understand there are many different views.

A little over a year ago I extremely limited in what I could do with advanced arthritis pain and lack of muscles due to not moving as much due to the pain. I was able to address the pain by diet and started walking walking 0.25 miles daily down and back up a steep hill which I still do every day as a minimum but have walked a mile at a time successful.

At first I had to rest many times but I would complete the quarter mile walk. While I can kind of jog a short distance I do not unless it is raining. :)

From research I find no downside to walking but there can some negatives to running as we age. It is the increased inflammation from running that would be my main concern in my case increasing my risks of death.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I was about 107kg (235lbs) when I started running (I'm not sure you could really have called it that, more of a slow shuffle....) and I stared off with 1 min "running" and 9 min walking the 2 min running, 8 min walking etc etc etc until I could run 10 min without stopping and built up from there (my longest distance is now a half marathon & Olympic duathon)

Before I started running I walked, I walked a lot. Depending on your fitness level walking may be the perfect place to start.

When you do start running go slow, if you're huffing & puffing and short of breath you're going too fast. Your breathing should be deep and relaxed (it should feel like work but shouldn't be killing you).

Take your time, progress slowly and you'll amaze yourself with what you can accomplish.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Project your joints.

Running does not damage your joints in fact research has demonstrated that runners suffer no higher rates of arthritis than the general population. However, I'm also a strong advocate of cross training so yes......swim, bike, lift weights etc