Too heavy to run

Options

Replies

• Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody ! Decided to try Couch to 5K starting tomorrow, and listen to my joints.

Good choice! Intervals are great too. Just wait until your body is craving to run further and further. The runner's high is the best!
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother reading all these comments but thought I would write one hoping this wasn't mentioned already.

Jogging/running does more damage than good if you are heavy, look on any bodybuilder forum and you will see none of them run as it causes too much damage to joints. weather you walk a mile or run a mile you'll burn the calories, one will just get you there quicker and help cardiovascular health but if you are heavy then you worry about the weight before getting down to cardio health.

I lost over 30 lbs in 2 months without jogging once, just diet and exercise but my exercise was walking on a treadmill for a hour and lifting weights... keep in mind I was on a very strick diet to lose that much so quickly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Every runner I know has had a fairly significant injury, so I just figure I can walk faster.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you want to run, do it but work up to it. Many have suggested starting off with walking first, then build up to running as your stamina increases.

Running is not essential for weight loss so if you don't want to run, don't bother with it. You need to find exercise that burns calories and is something you can do for your lifetime. Personally, I walk and swim and it has helped me lose. On the other hand, I would never advise anyone not to run, unless they really dislike it.

58841349.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I'm 37 years old and weigh 109.5 kg (this morning). My highest weight was about 123 kg. I would like to start jogging and do a bit of running, but at this weight I feel too heavy for that, and I'm also worried something bad might happen if I start too early, so I'm waiting until I am under 100 kg or so.

Any advice? What is a good weight to do jogging or running? If you lost weight, at what weight did you start jogging or running?

Thank you in advance.

I have been running on and off since I was in my twenties, whether I was 200 pounds or 140 (now), and I've steadily run for the last 20 years even when fat, and I have never once had a running injury. My advice is to start out slow and be patient.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    There is no reason to run and overwork your joints.
    Project your joints.
    Do walking, swimming, weight lifting.

Running does not overwork your joints if you do it properly by starting slowly and listen to your body. Not everyone likes to run, not everyone can run, and exercise is not required for weight loss.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I was about 107kg (235lbs) when I started running (I'm not sure you could really have called it that, more of a slow shuffle....) and I stared off with 1 min "running" and 9 min walking the 2 min running, 8 min walking etc etc etc until I could run 10 min without stopping and built up from there (my longest distance is now a half marathon & Olympic duathon)

Before I started running I walked, I walked a lot. Depending on your fitness level walking may be the perfect place to start.

When you do start running go slow, if you're huffing & puffing and short of breath you're going too fast. Your breathing should be deep and relaxed (it should feel like work but shouldn't be killing you).

Take your time, progress slowly and you'll amaze yourself with what you can accomplish.

OP - The last part ^^^^

I weigh almost half what I used to

Over a few years working at it and maintaining it, what I do now is beyond anything ever imagined possible in the past.

You really can change your body and your life when you stick with it and by all means slowly.... And I mean slowly, add in high impact exercise.

I could not run at all 3 years ago. None. It killed my knees and I was about to collapse

Now I ride my bike 40 miles and jump off and run 10K to train for next year triathlon season. Now is the off season. So that is not the hard workout.

Take your time and give yourself patience and time

You can do it.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I weigh 107kg and run 5k a like 2-3 times a week on a treadmill. Age might be a factor here since I'm 22 but I think running is possible for pretty much everyone as long as you work your way up to it. Now, I run at a steady 10km/hr pace for 29 mins and have a quick 1 minute burst at the end running at 10mph (16km/hr).

When I started, I weighed about 114kg and only ran 1km at a time. I only ran at a pace of about 8-9km/hr. I worked my way up to being able to run 5k without stopping over the course of about 2-3 months. I already have an active lifestyle though because of my work so that probably benefited me at the start.

Just start off slow, go at a pace that you are comfortable with and challenge yourself. The more and more you do it, the better you'll become at it.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother reading all these comments but thought I would write one hoping this wasn't mentioned already.

Jogging/running does more damage than good if you are heavy, look on any bodybuilder forum and you will see none of them run as it causes too much damage to joints. weather you walk a mile or run a mile you'll burn the calories, one will just get you there quicker and help cardiovascular health but if you are heavy then you worry about the weight before getting down to cardio health.

I lost over 30 lbs in 2 months without jogging once, just diet and exercise but my exercise was walking on a treadmill for a hour and lifting weights... keep in mind I was on a very strick diet to lose that much so quickly.

I can't agree with that one. As a comparison if you went to a runners forum you might find people saying that lifting can do more damage than good. The reason is probably that people enjoy their chosen exercise more, and justify that others are less helpful. The damage for either is based on overextending your capabilities early on.

You can lose weight doing anything that burns calories or simply by diet alone, and injure yourself doing just about anything as well. But done properly and within reason, a lifter can run and a runner can lift.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I haven't run since I was in the military and had no choice. But I love to walk. I did three miles for the first time earlier this month, which is great for me as I have cranky knees and shins. I've been slowly working up to it. Now I walk about 45 minutes every non rainy work day during my lunch break and on the weekends do the three mile walk.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Spend the money on quality shoes and insoles. Get fitted. Then move. Walk. Then walk for a song, jog for song. Then use shorter songs for walking, longer ones for jogging as you build up your endurance. You can totally do it!!!!!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    hmichaud09 wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" 99 kg (218.5 lbs) and I dont run. I started walking longer distances last week so it will be a bit before I'm up to jogging. However, as I'm busty, running for me is awkward no matter what. I have yet to find a sports bra that makes me feel secure enough to try to jog.

My advice (From when I used to jog), do short bursts at first. I would walk 1/4 mile, jog 1/4 and alternate it that way until my jogging 1/4 didn't seem to take as much effort, and I built up the time of my jogging. Someday I hope to be doing that again.

@hmichaud09 have you tried Enell Sports Bras? They are pricey, but definitely worth it. I am busty too and avoided running for the longest time because I didn't have adequate support. These bras are amazing!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I waited until I was around 200 lbs to start running, but did *lots* of work on the elliptical before-hand, so my cardio endurance was already much improved before I added in the impact. When I didn't use the elliptical, I did brisk walking. If you don't have a bouncy, high-energy dog, I highly recommend one as a fitness partner, lol.

Once you're ready to start adding in running, I'll just echo what everyone else said and suggest C25K or some other similar program (I just walked/ran alternating and set little time/speed goals for each as I felt I could). I'm about 9 months out now, from my first "run"--and I regularly run 3-8 miles a day, 5 days a week. Not fast, but I run them.

You can do it, too!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Jogging/running does more damage than good if you are heavy,

hmm, ok. As with anything there are benefits and disbenefits, so lets hear the evidence.
    look on any bodybuilder forum..

hahahah

That'll be the credibility of the post whooshing away
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I started with walking slowly, increased my endurance then started adding periods of brisk walking to slower walking. Over time I then replaced the fast walk with light jog & fast walk intervals. I sometimes do a 5k run but that's all I'm interested in doing now.

Swimming, walking/jogging in the shallow end of a pool adds resistance while being joint friendly, elliptical, recumbent bike could also be other options for you to consider.
    Best wishes!

• sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone (assuming most people do), you should download this app called Couch to 5K. It might cost a few bucks but its my favorite way to get in shape. It assumes you are compeltely out of shape and only makes you run/jog for a very short period of time. Each week they increase the time a little until you are able to run for 30 minutes straight. It really is great and if running is too much just make the "running intervals" as fastwalking or jogging. I seen improvements myself from doing this and am able to run for long lengths of time.

The nice thing about it is that since i workout with headphones, I just get notifications when I'm listening to music to start running or walking so I don't have think about what I'm doing and allow myself to be distracted.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned it yet, but wear 2 bras when you start running, one regular and then a sports bra over it.Jump up and down a few times to make sure you are supported. I didn't start running because I wasn't supported on top and it hurt. I mentioned it to someone in the gym bathroom and she told me about wearing 2 bras. So I am passing it on. I did the C25 K last year around this time on the treadmill. It was hate/love. Try walking outside in addition(before running). I didn't start loving running until I ran outside. No issues with my joints so far. Good luck, my dear.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    risk to joints is not as bad as fear mongers would have you believe. see here

if you want to run, run. start slow, get proper shoes, take rest days.
    if you don't want to run, walk or zumba or ellipical or other things you find fun.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    risk to joints is not as bad as fear mongers would have you believe. see here

if you want to run, run. start slow, get proper shoes, take rest days.
    if you don't want to run, walk or zumba or ellipical or other things you find fun.

Several of the doctors in your link talk about excess weight being bad for runners' knees. While the risk may not be that high for people at "healthy" weights, that's not what's under discussion here.