Diet Coke & Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar alcohols which are in diet sodas have not been thoroughly studied and can have different effects in different people. You might be sensitive to something in them, or it could be something else. You could try cutting down or laying off for a month or longer and see how it goes, up to you though. Good luck :smile:

Most artificial sweeteners are not sugar alcohols and have been tested to hell and back.

And in fact there is even a sticky on aspartame at the top of the forum.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Soda=no benefit to your body. Stop.

False. For many it can reduce cravings and is very enjoyable which addresses the psychological aspect of weight loss. I enjoy the taste of diet dew. It helped me get off regular soda which helps me stay on track for my goals. So that is a health benefit. And in fact, it has done the same for many other members who sre extremely successful. So what you are saying is completely untrue for many.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    All I know is diet Coke made my stomach cramp. In my mind/experience stomach cramps are not normal. Regular Coke does not make my stomach cramp but does not help reduce the fat lining the inside of my stomach the best I can tell.

I got fat because of low energy from some cause(s). I ate more carbs for a 'quick fix' of energy. It worked so I did it even more. The fatter I became the lower my energy level became so my 'quick fix' was working against me until I finally stopped doing it.

Interesting I learned drinking two liters of water daily made me feel better than any two liters of any type soda that I had ever drank. Another plus the best I can tell water does not make me gain weight.

We are all different and if we will listen to what our bodies are telling us to do and not to do I think the need to ask others what to eat/drink will become a fading need. What may be bad for one may not be bad for another.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

False. For many it can reduce cravings and is very enjoyable which addresses the psychological aspect of weight loss. I enjoy the taste of diet dew. It helped me get off regular soda which helps me stay on track for my goals. So that is a health benefit. And in fact, it has done the same for many other members who sre extremely successful. So what you are saying is completely untrue for many.
    Hell, even if you went with only taking in things that benefit you, you'd end up eating nothing but multivitamin tablets and chasing them down with a protein shake and a shotglass of essential fats.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Hell, even if you went with only taking in things that benefit you, you'd end up eating nothing but multivitamin tablets and chasing them down with a protein shake and a shotglass of essential fats.

In other words, soylent.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Women who drink 2 or more diet sodas are 50% more likely to have heart problems ...

2 or more over what time frame? 50% more likely than what?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Studies show that 72.4% are of all statistics are made up
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    5652.strip.print.gif
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of diet soda and I'm tiny.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You also appear to be very flexible
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

In other words, soylent.

green
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    threadmad wrote: »

In other words, soylent.

green

It's people, you know.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

In other words, soylent.

green

It's people, you know.

Charleston & Burgess
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

In other words, soylent.

green

It's people, you know.

Charleston & Burgess

R.I.P.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    All I know is diet Coke made my stomach cramp. In my mind/experience stomach cramps are not normal. Regular Coke does not make my stomach cramp but does not help reduce the fat lining the inside of my stomach the best I can tell.

I got fat because of low energy from some cause(s). I ate more carbs for a 'quick fix' of energy. It worked so I did it even more. The fatter I became the lower my energy level became so my 'quick fix' was working against me until I finally stopped doing it.

Interesting I learned drinking two liters of water daily made me feel better than any two liters of any type soda that I had ever drank. Another plus the best I can tell water does not make me gain weight.

We are all different and if we will listen to what our bodies are telling us to do and not to do I think the need to ask others what to eat/drink will become a fading need. What may be bad for one may not be bad for another.

Certainly, if something makes your stomach cramp all the more reason not to drink it. If I drink any carbonated beverages, they affect my acid reflux/GERD, so I stay away from them. The only way to gain weight/fat is by eating more calories than you expend. Everything outside of CICO is preference, therefore points to behavioral issues. In other words, if diet soda triggers hunger, the choices are to either not drink it, cut down, not give into the hunger, or look at why you are eating more than you need.

I am confused about your comment on reducing the fat lining on the inside of your stomach. I've never heard of such a thing before, and what does that have to do with diet soda affecting weight? :)
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    My blood is made out of diet coke and excellent cholesterol levels.
  • SLLRunner
    edited November 2015
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I drink a ton of diet soda and I'm tiny.

Hopefully you're not drinking a soda while doing such a beautiful balletic move, such as the one in your avatar. You indeed appear very flexible. :Du
  • SLLRunner
    Options

In other words, soylent.

green
    I saw that movie when I was a kid, and I loved it!
  • 2houndmom
    2houndmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the wealth of info! I will keep you updated on the weight loss progress! :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    2houndmom wrote: »
    Can diet coke cause weight loss to slow down or even stop? I do @ 45 minutes of cardio a day - 6 days /week plus @ 20- 30 minutes of strength training 3 days a week. I eat between 1200 - 1500 calories a day. My weight loss has all but stopped & the only thing I can think of that may be causing it would be the diet cokes (@ 4/day).
    Any ideas?

Do your own test, it is the only way to know how something affects you.

Some folks think food is just the sum of calories, not the sum of its chemicals and don't believe different effects on different bodies. If you want to rule it out for you, eliminate it and see what happens.