Gaining muscle without fat

Options
I have gotten to the body shape I want but need to put on weight but I don't want to put on fat. I'm happy with the way I look and just want to look more lean and have more energy. How can I get started? I'm an undereater and want to eat normal again and still do my intense workouts. I'm getting help from my family but I don't no how many calories I should aim for. I'll be seeing a dietitian soon. I'm 19 years old, 5'2, current weight is 105-106, I have a small medium body frame, and I eat under 1000 calories and some days I eat 1200. My mom suggests I eat 1400-1800 calories. (She is a health nurse) I love food and exercise and want to put on lean muscle and still eat what I use to like. Is it ok to eat 1400-2000 calories? I use to eat that much and was at a healthy weight. I just need advice and I just don't want to put on fat because it took me a long time to lose all the weight.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Your posting history is confusing and is concerning.

Confusing because it was just the other day you posted that you needed to gain some pounds.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34695009#Comment_34695009

Concerning because of the way you feel about yourself, eating and food. I don't think you need a dietician you need a counsellor.

Also in the other thread you said you were going to see a doctor, I wonder if in fact you are actually going to see a doctor or dietician at all, that you are saying it in advance of those who will say you need to see someone who can professionally help you.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I am next week, but I wanted to hear other people's opinions and possible experiences. I have an obsession with weight, figure shape and food.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have gotten to the body shape I want but need to put on weight but I don't want to put on fat. I'm happy with the way I look and just want to look more lean and have more energy. How can I get started? I'm an undereater and want to eat normal again and still do my intense workouts. I'm getting help from my family but I don't no how many calories I should aim for. I'll be seeing a dietitian soon. I'm 19 years old, 5'2, current weight is 105-106, I have a small medium body frame, and I eat under 1000 calories and some days I eat 1200. My mom suggests I eat 1400-1800 calories. (She is a health nurse) I love food and exercise and want to put on lean muscle and still eat what I use to like. Is it ok to eat 1400-2000 calories? I use to eat that much and was at a healthy weight. I just need advice and I just don't want to put on fat because it took me a long time to lose all the weight.
    I am next week, but I wanted to hear other people's opinions and possible experiences. I have an obsession with weight, figure shape and food.

Are you working with a counselor or/and a deititian?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle WILL ALWAYS include gaining some fat. It's inevitable. Just like when one loses weight, some muscle will be lost along with the fat.
    To what degree will depend on how you regulate your intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gaining muscle WILL ALWAYS include gaining some fat. It's inevitable. Just like when one loses weight, some muscle will be lost along with the fat.
    To what degree will depend on how you regulate your intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

cosign

if you want to minimize fat gains shoot for a 250 calorie surplus, or a .5 pound per week gain; if fat gain is not an issue then shoot for a 500 calorie surplus, or a 1 pound per week gain.

You cannot gain mass and not gain fat, because physics and stuff.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    oh my people finally some guys who know whats up
  • kpwright89
    kpwright89 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is the tried and tested way... you first do a tdee test and find out how many calories you burn just being alive. Take that number and add 300 cals to it this should give you slow weightgain. But the weight will most likely be muscle if you have trained hard and eaten your daily macro goal and calorie targets. Try to gain only half a pound a week and it will be mostly lean tissue not fat. If 300 calories over your tdee isnt adding weight just add 100 calories per week until you hit half a pound weight gain a week.. drink at least 4 litres of water a day too