Sharing my motivation/views

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Because I don't weigh myself every single day like a sad loser I'd actually rather spend more time in the gym and be surprised after two weeks. I don't think I'm punishing myself if I'm happy and feeling much better in myself. You know I'm new to this and I just thought I'd put my OPINION out there like everyone else has and I'm getting flack for it.

At which point did I say I was right? It clearly says 'MY MOTIVATION/VIEWS

Honestly, this would probably be better put on your blog then.

Also way to insult people. So if you weigh yourself everyday, you're a loser? And what are you weighing yourself with that it takes the so much time that would be better spent at the gym?

scale-balance-iron-brass-rail-rp10138.jpg

:laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I believe this is the "Sad Loser model 1".

Platform-Scales.jpg
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Because I don't weigh myself every single day like a sad loser I'd actually rather spend more time in the gym and be surprised after two weeks. I don't think I'm punishing myself if I'm happy and feeling much better in myself. You know I'm new to this and I just thought I'd put my OPINION out there like everyone else has and I'm getting flack for it.

You are going to LOVE the communities.

Being motivated is great, and definitely you need dedication and hard work to reach goals but most people here have been around long enough to have 'been there, done that!", extreme eating, not enjoying life is very hard to sustain and more often than not leads to failure and relapse. I support life long health and wellness, am in maintenance and know I can do this forever. I just killed a workout, and then had a strawberry shake on the way home. I didn't waste my workout, and at 48 yrs old am still seeing growth and improvement through consistency and sustainability. Everyone has to find what works..I will agree with you on that.

I do not think weighing oneself everyday makes someone a loser though :( although that is not something I do.

Continued best of luck. Hope your attitude improves about receiving advice, you sure seemed eager to give it.
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I apologise for the sad loser comment that was wrong of me, I just felt very frustrated that I was being so judged, at which point do you all think I'm unhappy? I don't see this as punishment.
    I posted this because I thought there would be people out there in the world that shared my opinion.

Also I'm in the Caribbean and apparently having a working weighing scale here is un heard of so I don't have one here.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    super-great.jpg

Super great.

On topic, weight loss became much easier and more enjoyable when I realized that I didn't have to punish myself to be successful.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I apologise for the sad loser comment that was wrong of me, I just felt very frustrated that I was being so judged, at which point do you all think I'm unhappy? I don't see this as punishment.
    I posted this because I thought there would be people out there in the world that shared my opinion.

Also I'm in the Caribbean and apparently having a working weighing scale here is un heard of so I don't have one here.

I don't have a scale because I'm afraid my children would break it. It's all okay. I weigh myself at my mothers about once a week. We all have to do whatever will work.

I appreciate that you apologized. Thank you for that. If you're looking for like minded people, it works best to post that in your initial post.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The apology is appreciated. Your initial post mentioned being unhappy and that eating a biscuit would undo all your hard work. People are saying that these things aren't necessary. Many people here eat a balanced diet. Fruits, veggies, protein, fats, and treats. There's no reason to feel that cookies are evil and destructive on a diet. These things can be consumed in moderation throughout the weight loss process. I look forward to having a beer, wine, or ice cream each day. It makes my taste buds happy, and fits into my goals. If anything making these things fit into my daily routine has helped me to enjoy eating in a calorie deficit a little more. Making the overall process feel less torturous.

It is great that you have found something that works for you, I don't think that others were judging you, simply sharing their experiences that they didn't need to restrict themselves in such ways to be successful. Particularly because you mentioned being unhappy with your weight and turning to food. Food is fuel, but it can still be enjoyable.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks, no one ever apologises...props for that!

I didn't see you as being unhappy, but eating that strict would make some people (dare I say most) miserable. You of course are free to do what you want, and if you have that discipline...good for you.
    I have been down that path, and for 2 years I was as strict as any competitor could be...and to be honest I was pretty happy with myself and looked great. As I got older, and my needs and motivation changed...it wasn't sustainable. I needed something I could do and still enjoy my family life, not spend 3 hours in the gym, and have to cook meals for myself because I couldn't eat what people cooked for me. Strict behaviour is not great advice for 99% of the people that just want to lose weight and feel better about themselves.

As previously mentioned, continued best wishes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Nobody is judging you, we are just taking you on your words and sharing different points of view.

A scale is just one of the many tools to measure progress. ;)

• nutmegoreo
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Nobody is judging you, we are just taking you on your words and sharing different points of view.

A scale is just one of the many tools to measure progress. ;)

Agreed. Measurements are fantastic, but my personal favorite is taking progress pics! I take pics in the same clothing regularly. Even when I don't see the difference looking in the mirror, when I hold those pics up side-by-side, the difference is so obvious!
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Was unhappy, this has turned a new leaf for me :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »

You eat the junk you're happy for those few minutes really. Woo hoo.

Cutting food = punishment now? Damn I think people really need to learn what punishment really is.

Oh my...... ;)

Calling food junk is demonizing food. What's junk for one person may not be junk for another.

Cutting calories is not punishment, but cutting food because you think it's bad (or junk) is a self-punishing action.

No, people don't need to learn what punishment really is because many of us have had years of punishing ourselves with food.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Was unhappy, this has turned a new leaf for me :smile:

Great feeling, isn't it?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Why'd you edit?

I saw your sarcastic question.

Basically without derailing the thread....
    Food shouldn't equate to pleasure and happiness (to a certain extent) . If you feel like you're punishing yourself because you can't have a cookie, sounds like some kind of eating disorder, or something.

Because I didn't want to derail the thread. (eta - it wasn't sarcastic)

Personally, denying yourself anything that you enjoy sounds like some kind of eating disorder to me.

I enjoy food. Life without trying new things is punishment, not just food wise, but it does include food. I'd rather have a balance. But that's just me.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I had this guava and cream cheese ice cream last week that was a-freaking-mazing. Seriously. Someone made a great deal of effort to prepare the mix, age it just right, churn it to the right consistency incorporating just enough air to give it the texture and creaminess and body of a fantastic dessert.

To think of it as simply 'fuel' would be a crying shame, to fail to appreciate the artistry, to savor play of the ingredients together, to enjoy the creamy cold sensation, and to take time to remember all of it to appreciate days later. That ice cream is certainly fuel, just like the chicken and vegetables I prepared for dinner, but it was also a something special beyond that.

And part of the process of losing weight is learning to keep those treats in perspective and how not to overindulge, how to balance healthy food that fuels your body appropriately, and how to manage the social aspect of eating in balance with your needs.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well I eat treats daily, within my calories and macros . in Fact, I'm having a serving of ice cream as I type this.
    How sad would it be if we couldn't enjoy treats in life ? I see no problem with taking pleasure in food , as long as its in moderation and fits within my daily goals.
    I have a fantastic body so it hasn't hurt my progress any at all. Weight loss comes down to calories . enjoying a biscuit within ones macros and calories will not undo any hard work.
    I couldn't imagine going through life without getting to enjoy the foods I love. This is where learning portion control and moderation comes in.
    its wonderful that you've found a method that works well for you though. For me, I'm in this for the long run. I'd rather learn how to eat a well balanced diet that includes treats within my goals. This way I'm prepared for long term success. Eliminating foods I love wouldn't last long term for me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It's not all or nothing.

You don't have to deprive yourself of things you love and neither do you have to pig out all the time.

Learning to live within a sustainable calorie limit is a habit worth learning as soon as you can, because it will keep you at a healthy weight for life.

Many people don't see past reaching their goal weight. They think they need to restrict themselves up to that day and they don't have a plan for eating the right amount to be healthy.

Being healthy means eating enough to fuel your activity, what ever your weight goal is. It's important to fuel your activity whether you're losing, maintaining, or underweight.

Well done for sticking around to learn a few things, Beth.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    That's cool. Just saying, just because someone chooses to cut out certain foods, doesn't mean that they feel like they are being punished- because it's not that serious.

Totally agree with this. That assumption gets made often.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It's great if it's working for you, but the way you wrote it makes it seem like it is the only way that works. It sounds like an absolute. You have to only eat for fuel and never for pleasure. For many people that's not sustainable and results in failure as well as a cycle of negative feelings for choosing to fit a cookie into their calories. We don't have to suffer to lose weight or have a great body.

i thought this was a place for support?