*!December 2015 Walking Challenge!*

Options

Replies

• DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to log in on Saturday, but I did walk 5.15km, and yesterday Rudy and I walked 6.7km in an hour and 15 minutes.

Runkeeper tells me that I walked 35km this past week, a walking record for me. I used to go further when I was jogging, but I'm going to stick with walking at this point in my life.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    12/6/15 Dunbar Cave 12,212 steps 5.02 miles 2:05:01 759 cals
    fitbit also notes stairs: so doing the trails it counted as 79 stairs today (will be about 85 before bed since I have stairs in the house.
  • bdfarrall
    bdfarrall Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I didn't walk today. Do we get a day off or are we walking 7 days a week?
  • AlphaHowls
    Options
    bdfarrall wrote: »
    I didn't walk today. Do we get a day off or are we walking 7 days a week?

You are doing what you feel you want to do. Some feel like walking daily, some do not. You do what your body feels and what you want to do. There is no pressure, If you need to rest, then by gosh golly, take a rest. I try to walk on all the nice days since winter is looming. It should already be here, but it is still nice out. This week I will also have to scratch times out for my walking since I have appointments and such going on. If I am stuck indoors, I will resort to walking with Leslie Sansone videos.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, do what feels best! I use walking as my 'active rest' so I usually do walk 7 days a week, but not always at the same tempo or mileage.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Very short half hour walk today, at lunch time and in high heels. Mondays I work 10 hours, and I'm going to see Lucinda Williams right after work.
  • justrying2015
    justrying2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    (6 Dec)10.26 mi w/20lb vest
    (7 Dec)5.11 mi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

:) I carry a pedometer all day so my step count is for all my walking and dancing.

December 1--13.298 steps
    December 2--16,376 steps
    December 3--14,550 steps
    December 4--13,801 steps
    December 5--11,082 steps
    December 6--13,364 steps

In addition to podcasts, I listen to audiobooks that I check out from my local library.

:)roxyspitfire, Your plan sounds great....I found that when I started carrying a pedometer I was more likely to be seeking opportunities to walk to add steps to my count

:)scolaris My cat, Bernie, is part Manx....I have had cats most of my life and I love them. My husband is the dog person and he introduced me to dogs, now my dogs are as precious to me as my cat.

:)bdfarrall I have dogs who love to walk so I walk every day....even if I didn't go on actual walks, I carry my pedometer all day every day so I'd probably have a few thousand steps even if I never left the house.

• hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I upped to 7500 yesterday which I met by taking our Golden Retriever to the park. Today I am going to aim for 8000. It will be a challenge, but I guess that is what this is all about, right? :smiley:
  • scolaris
    Options
    Sounds great @hawkins410 Your goldie is a cutie too!
    @barbiecat I love that you have a part Manx cat! I am part Manx myself. Two of my great grandparents emigrated to CA together around 1910. There was a Manx colony up near Bishop CA. My Manx granny lived with us until I was about 8. I even knew a few Manx Gaelic words at one time...
    @DebinMelbourne walking in high heels IS an accomplishment.
    @justrying2015 you my friend are a walking machine!

It's official: I'm off work starting today!! (Trying not to feel guilty about the 12 or so unanswered sub jobs backed up in the electronic job queu...) I have some nasty tasks ahead like searching for a lost work visa payment for my husband in our checking account transactions and hand laundering all the lace curtains in three rooms... BUT I CAN WALK WHENEVER AND WHERE EVER I WANT. Yay!!
    Yesterday I went 12928 steps, 5.5 miles all in rain. So grateful for new waterproof hikers and a proper goretex coat.
  • gracefu11y
    gracefu11y Posts: 25 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12.06.15 Steps 10977/Miles 4.67

exercise.png
  • gracefu11y
    gracefu11y Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Sounds great @hawkins410 Your goldie is a cutie too!
    @barbiecat I love that you have a part Manx cat! I am part Manx myself. Two of my great grandparents emigrated to CA together around 1910. There was a Manx colony up near Bishop CA. My Manx granny lived with us until I was about 8. I even knew a few Manx Gaelic words at one time...
    @DebinMelbourne walking in high heels IS an accomplishment.
    @justrying2015 you my friend are a walking machine!

It's official: I'm off work starting today!! (Trying not to feel guilty about the 12 or so unanswered sub jobs backed up in the electronic job queu...) I have some nasty tasks ahead like searching for a lost work visa payment for my husband in our checking account transactions and hand laundering all the lace curtains in three rooms... BUT I CAN WALK WHENEVER AND WHERE EVER I WANT. Yay!!
    Yesterday I went 12928 steps, 5.5 miles all in rain. So grateful for new waterproof hikers and a proper goretex coat.

Enjoy your time off!!
  • scolaris
    Options
    Thanks! I will!!
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    7 days in a row! 6800 steps / 3.35 mi - no records set except that I made no excuses. 24 more days of excuse-free living.
  • AlphaHowls
    Options
    7 days in a row! 6800 steps / 3.35 mi - no records set except that I made no excuses. 24 more days of excuse-free living.

Groovy!!!
  • WillsRN
    WillsRN Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dec 4: 5225 steps and 6 flights stairs (@ one time)
    5: 6710 steps a few stairs (6 or 7 flights)
    6: 2710 steps, started getting sick, :s
    7: 2667 steps- sick today; hope to feel better tomorrow.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Had a really good day on Saturday. The weather was outstanding and I made sure to take advantage of that to the tune of 15.7 miles.
    Sunday I just did some grocery shopping, watched some football and rested.
    Today I got in 6.1 miles.
  • WillsRN
    WillsRN Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Roxyspitfire53,

I just read this in another challenge, & thought of you. I can't take credit for it, but can sure pass it on!

"Take Five"

Walk five minutes for at least every two hours.
    Stuck at a desk all day? A brisk five-minute walk every two hours will parlay into an extra 20-minute walk by the end of the day. And getting a break will make you less likely to reach for snacks.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I hear you Winnie. I'm hovering under 100k steps each week & it's KILLING me!!
    Today, 16350 steps/7.0 miles
    And, I got my Serengeti badge from Fitbit. The next distance badge is only about 225 miles away! rrlfodqjzzqt.jpeg

I picked up a Fitbit Charge when it was on sale for Black Friday and am really enjoying it. I know people talk about how motivating having one can be but what I didn't expect was the motivation to come from earning badges. I earned the 35,000 step badge this past Saturday and I have been trying to work my way up to being a 20 miles per day walker (that's going to be awhile), so I definitely want to start earning the 40,000 and higher badges. Congrats on the Serengeti badge! That's awesome! Onward to Italy!
  • scolaris
    Options
    Oh yay! I have a new badge buddy!
    See? We're all still little children at heart, aren't we???
    A 15 miler is a great day... Good job there.
    Today I walked 16345 steps, 7 miles. Lots of errands.
    Driving to OR tomorrow. Maybe there will be enough snow for some snowshoeing.