So... Fruit will make me FAT?

Options
1235»

Replies

• AJinBirmingham
    Options
    YES IT WILL.

I was at my goal weight (128 lbs) on Weight Watchers - not recommended; it's like MFP, but not as good and it costs money - when they changed their programme to encourage members to eat more fruit . . . and, although I stayed on program, I ballooned up to 142 lbs!

Fruit is good. Eat it. It also has calories. Remember that.
    Fruit was the only thing you ate and you gained 14 pounds from it?

Because that is the only way you could possibly blame fruit on its own for your weight gain.

But, yes, it has calories and WW making it "free" was a stupid move.

Adding additional fruit was the only thing I CHANGED - not the only thing I ate, but the only variable in my 14 lb weight gain.

If you added extra chicken breast, or extra whole grain bread, or extra chocolate bars on top of your maintenance calories, the result would have been the same; all would have contributed extra calories, therefore resulting in weight gain. Fruit itself was not necessarily the culprit, it was the added calories.

True that. Adding fruit to my diet, without subtracting something else to make up for the calorie difference, lead to a 14 lb weight gain for me. I'm not denying the basic math behind weight loss . . . just to tell people to be careful.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Adding additional fruit was the only thing I CHANGED - not the only thing I ate, but the only variable in my 14 lb weight gain.
    *sigh*
    You fully and utterly missed my point.

So... 14lbs x 3500 calories = 49000 calories.

Assuming a medium sized banana with 100 calories (for easy mathing)...

That's 490 bananas.

I probably only ate 350 extra bananas . . . I added some other fruits too. I thought I had a "license to smoothie." Nope. On the bright side, the weight gain lead me to MFP, where the extra weight dropped right off again - and it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Really free . . . unlike fruit in any weight loss plan.

In defense of WW, "free fruit and vegetables" is probably a good starting point for someone very fat who's learning how to eat healthy. If you've been living off fast food, boxes, bags, crisps, sweets and weigh 300 lbs, you might have a hard time killing your calorie deficit on the programme with bananas, but "free fruit and vegetables" is a horrible idea for someone with a healthy BMI and voracious appetite.
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Please go look at my foods for today. I have a total of 316 carbs. I eat nothing but fruits and veggies all day long and I'm losing weight. Whoever told you that is full of crap. Some people just don't want to believe that us fruitarians can be fit too.
  • thatsbroscience
    Options
    Eating fat would make you fatter

simple concept 99% of people dont seem to understand
    Dr LOLstig?
    Dr. Lustig, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at the University of California San Francisco versus some guy on the internet who is doing a grade school drive by insult. Who should I believe??
    [/quote]

robert lustig is also fat and out of shape

maybe you should take a look at all the fit slim people on this website that eat copius amounts of fruit

30bananasaday.com
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    maybe you should take a look at all the fit slim people on this website that eat copius amounts of fruit

30bananasaday.com

I'm a member of 30bananasaday :) that's why I said to look at what I eat in a day. Some people would rather die than to eat the amount of carbs that I do but I'm thriving on it. I feel great. Lots of people are eating tons of fruit and losing weight. That site is a good example of that.