WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Kim from N. California I was thinking of of that, but I have a couple of beautiful necklaces that I want to use like "artwork".
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Penny At the Pole Your earring display is very handy! I think I will incorporate some of your elements with my driftwood idea :-)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mia in MI Oh I have a pretty black netted bag that I rec'd some Avon jewelry one year. I could nail that up with the copper nails. For some reason my brain likes the copper nails idea. Thanks!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I didn't stay at the studio very long today. When the snow started I headed home. It turned out that we didn't get much accumulation but the roads were pretty slick there for a while. We could get more overnight though.

So I spent the afternoon playing with my new computer. The dogs are antsy because they didn't get to go for their walk today. It was too cold and muddy/slushy.

Pip, I'm just amazed that Kirby is already back on a bicycle. Nice bike, too!

Have a great evening!

Sylvia
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »
    Hi -- I have a question for the group. What do you do to stay accountable in your weight loss? What I mean is that I am only accountable to me at the moment, and that poses a challenge. It's too easy for me to talk myself out of ditching the crackers in favor of an orange...walking out of the kitchen rather than grabbing something quick that is unhealthy. I hear that little voice say "I can start tomorrow OR...I haven't eaten much today."
    Tracking helps but I can still sabotage myself.
    I tried WW for so many years but I don't like the expense and wasn't wild about the support groups.

So...with the New Year looming, any thoughts? Are there challenge threads that you have joined? Other outside groups?

My pitfall is that I'm great about exercising, but still have what I consider some food addicition issues and have a hard time controlling those. I've managed to maintain some control over my weight (but am still somewhere about 30 lbs overweight) by being active. But I frequently feel frustrated with the food battle.

There's lots of success in this group, so let's hear about it!

Kimses in MA

It's a difficult journey this "staying mindful when it comes to eating healthy". I try to keep myself on track meal to meal. I don't think of it as a week long thing. That seems to be too hard sometimes. I also think I have "settled " for most of my life. Buying the needs of others when it comes to food. I shall not settle ever again. That is how I view my meals. Settling and eating those crackers when you really should have an orange, buying regular milk, because the family likes that more then lowfat milk. Doing for others when you should be concentrating on paying attention to your needs. Its all about giving yourself credit, and saying you are important enough. I know opening up a box of something instead of cutting up an apple seems easier, but this journey isn't meant to be easy. Its emotionally messy, but we have to do the chopping, pealing, cutting, preparing in order for our minds to get the message. (((hugs)))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE A plastic container does keep the dust at bay....
    Becca
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    annr - I guess I thought it was assumed that we do our hand signals, yada yada, look blah blah blah, we do.
  • Annr
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Barbie- Great motivational input! Going to look for those books today!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Kimses in MA I bought chocolate today, but its a intense high Cocoa % and I get only 1 square per "snack". Its great with a cup of coffee though, so its a wee bite, then sip, then mix until everything is creamy kind of activity! Remember don't give up things that make eating pleasurable, just limit the intake. Well that is my motto anyway... lol
    Becca
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks Becca and Barbie.
    I'm almost 58. I actually had my primary care doctor say "it's almost impossible to lose weight at your age" (although she denied it when I brought it up a year later). So I know it's hard. Harder when you add in medications, age, menopause, habits etc. But this group proves that it *can* be done. Glad I joined :)
    Kimses in MA
  • Annr
    Options
    Pip Well those universal right angle is when you are turning right, and straight out is left is confusion for the Japanese society. My arm straight out left they would assume I am turning right. And pumping your hand along your side that means slow down I'm stopping soon, they are clueless on. :-)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    All 3 of my knights in shining armor arrived so I can sleep in my bed instead of on the clinic floor!

• vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »
    Thanks Becca and Barbie.
    I'm almost 58. I actually had my primary care doctor say "it's almost impossible to lose weight at your age" (although she denied it when I brought it up a year later). So I know it's hard. Harder when you add in medications, age, menopause, habits etc. But this group proves that it *can* be done. Glad I joined :)
    Kimses in MA

Yes it can be done. I am 68 and have lost 43 lbs using CICO.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 cheers everyone. Facing the trip back to reality tomorrow, our vacation is just about over. Dh and i had a pretty mellow time together, nothing outrageous just.nice.
    We managed a lot of walking, driving and yep, bbq how could we not in south carolina?
    Will check in with all my docs and my scale wednesday.
    Favorite thing i like to do new year's eve...cleaning up and shredding old paper work how exciting am i!
    Karen from ny
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    All 3 of my knights in shining armor arrived so I can sleep in my bed instead of on the clinic floor!

Oh, I'm so glad. I was so upset for you. Be careful. It's bad here at our house too. We may not be getting out for a few days.

Janetr okc
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Oh, I know! Lets ask Dr. Katie. She is great with organization.

Ice cube trays from the dollar store. The mini ones work well for small earrings and rings, regular sized ones for bigger earrings and some necklaces. I also like the idea that someone mentioned of those expandable mug hug things for necklaces if you want them on the wall.

I have a jewelry armoire for mine, but still have the mini ice cube trays inside the drawers for my earrings.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    evening folks~
    dinner party went well, everything in the dishwasher!! yes I am using the dishwasher lol
    im gonna lay low about Tracy for awhile.. She contacts me only when she needs or wants something.. doesnt call to see how your doing, and when she does call , I try and take it with a grain of salt... I dont have the financial capability to just hand money over to her, nor would I want to.. her father did and gave her whatever she wanted and ,when the kids were at our house we made them work for it.. when I was young I worked, never asked my parents for much, and when I was a bit older I would give them part of my paycheck weekly. no questions asked, they didnt ask for it, I did it because I knew it would help..
    I dont know if it is just me,but this generation wants everything just handed to them, not to work for anything..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.26min, 14.3amph, 148mhr, 2.9mi = 164c
    spin- 36min, 87ar, 143aw, 12-15g 123ahr, 150mhr, 15.4mi = 315c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.56min, 11.8amph, 143mhr, 1.3mi = 93c
    ride dome 2 hm, new route, turn on 40th- 18.35min, 9amph, 157mhr, 2.7mi = 224c
    total cal 796
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kimses: I hold myself accountable by logging every bite and swallow. This goes into MyFitnessPal diary. I have a closed diary. Nobody sees it but me and I have a log for every day since I began. I measured my food intake by weighing the food or using measuring cups from the day I started until about six months after I reached my goal. Now I estimate portion sizes part of the time. Yoga classes gradually improved my fitness and the combination of being more fit and carrying less weight has given me the best health I can remember since my early twenties. Now I take yoga & ride horses regularly. I was also taking a spin class but haven't participated for a couple of months. I deliberately use exercise to "earn" treats such as cheesecake or... So many minutes on my exercise bike and the treat is mine. :devil: I have learned a great deal from the women on this thread, and have gotten excellent practical advice and social support here. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Some of your family members seem to blame you for their own shortcomings. I wonder if you are unknowingly doing something that encourages that behavior. Do you sometimes say you're sorry for things that aren't your fault? It can be tempting to say sorry when a person is having a bad time, because you are naturally sympathetic. Sadly, some people use a person's own sympathy as a weapon against them. :cry:

Terri: Be safe and warm. I hope you get provisions delivered, or better yet, a ride home. :flowerforyou:

Becca: "It's a difficult journey this "staying mindful when it comes to eating healthy". I try to keep myself on track meal to meal. I don't think of it as a week long thing. That seems to be too hard sometimes. I also think I have "settled " for most of my life. Buying the needs of others when it comes to food. I shall not settle ever again. That is how I view my meals. Settling and eating those crackers when you really should have an orange, buying regular milk, because the family likes that more then lowfat milk. Doing for others when you should be concentrating on paying attention to your needs. Its all about giving yourself credit, and saying you are important enough. I know opening up a box of something instead of cutting up an apple seems easier, but this journey isn't meant to be easy. Its emotionally messy, but we have to do the chopping, pealing, cutting, preparing in order for our minds to get the message. (((hugs)))" I agree with every word. :bigsmile:

I had a good day today. DH and I had an appointment with our financial advisor and then met a dear friend for lunch at a popular Portland deli. Yum. I just checked and have 700 calories still available. It looks like I can have dinner & won't starve. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png