WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Gayle he is on a pain med. I got some ginger to try to help with the upset stomach.

Our snow is coming tonight. We have been spoiled this year. Usually we are dealing with snow since the end of November.

:heart: Margaret
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Oh I need to get off my butt today and get something done in the house!!! I have a pile on my desk of bills, mom's ambulance bills to send in for reimbursement.... oh yeah!!

Later everyone

Stay safe

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Margaret, I ALWAYS get terribly sick on pain meds, so my doctor always prescribes something to control the nausea and vomiting. They can also make one terribly constipated, which can also lead to nausea. Your H may feel better if he talks to his doc and gets something.

Mary, I have a sheltie/ border collie mix dog. Previously I also had a border collie/ black lab mix and a german shephard/ akita mix. I only bathed my dogs when they failed the snuggle test- they smelled so i didn't want to snuggle them. My vet says that washing more often is not good for their skin. Just like daily baths is hard on our skin and we have to use all sorts of moisturizers to compensate. But you cannot get the moisturizers to their skin with all their fur.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cold, windy and horrible ice this morning. Everything is at a standstill out on the roads. Power lines down. We have electricity, thankfully. Glad we are inside looking out.

Have a great Monday all.

Janetr OKC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Miriam - I will try your snuggle test. Shep still has puppy breath and smells like fresh air when I bring him in from outside.

Lisa - have a safe vacation. Enjoy your time with your DH.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

grits- may surprise you but his life didn't flash before his eyes before the hit. he doesn't remember anything at all, and I think it's better that way. I don't remember my fall either, not a stitch of it, but that bothers me, I wish I could remember.

to whoever asked how often you wash your dogs. for me, as needed. when rocky was alive he was a therapy dog so I had to wash him before going into the hospital for obvious reasons. goldens are prone to hot spots. I try my best to use shampoo that has no salt as it makes them itch. I tend to go for the oatmeal shampoo.

there are a lot of subjects that I feel knowledgeable on, bike riding, exercise, dogs, dog training and raising pups but I tend not to chime in and let others give their opinion. sometimes there's advise that I read and don't agree on but won't say anything because I don't want this back and forth thing to start. as hard headed as I am, I won't give up, so I leave it alone.

have a good one, type to ya later
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I typed replies to everyone and then lost them in the copy/paste process AGAIN! This is frustrating. :grumble:

I wish each of you the best day possible. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Becca - I have lots of earrings so I keep most of them in my jewelry chest. However, I have a handful that I wear on a regular basis. Those are stuck through a piece of screen that has been glued into a frame that sits on a shelf in my bathroom so that I have easy access to them. Perhaps you could add a small frame to hang from the driftwood? The frame could contain screen, counted cross stitch cloth or netting.

Mia in MI
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Becca - Oh! Another thought... If you don't have many earrings you can put them in a small see through jewelry bag and hang the bag from a nail on the driftwood. I have a large number of white translucent (organza like) bags that I use to give jewelry to friends. If you want some send me a message back channel with your address and the number you want and I'll send you some.

Mia in MI
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I have a question for the group. What do you do to stay accountable in your weight loss? What I mean is that I am only accountable to me at the moment, and that poses a challenge. It's too easy for me to talk myself out of ditching the crackers in favor of an orange...walking out of the kitchen rather than grabbing something quick that is unhealthy. I hear that little voice say "I can start tomorrow OR...I haven't eaten much today."
    Tracking helps but I can still sabotage myself.
    I tried WW for so many years but I don't like the expense and wasn't wild about the support groups.

So...with the New Year looming, any thoughts? Are there challenge threads that you have joined? Other outside groups?

My pitfall is that I'm great about exercising, but still have what I consider some food addicition issues and have a hard time controlling those. I've managed to maintain some control over my weight (but am still somewhere about 30 lbs overweight) by being active. But I frequently feel frustrated with the food battle.

There's lots of success in this group, so let's hear about it!

Kimses in MA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    :wink:
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Mary, when you posted the photo of Shep, the first thing I thought of was how much I love the smell of puppies and puppy breath.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Well here it is Monday and the start of the last week of 2015. Tomorrow is weigh in day and I know I will be up. This Christmas weekend has been great spending time with family, but the eating was bad. But not going to beat myself up, just pick myself up and keep going. I work everyday this week until Saturday.

Sounds like the big storm we were to get is going south. We took DGD back home last eveing because didn't want to be out on the roads with bad weather. We took the two DGD's to church yesterday morning with us and they sung their little hearts out. I was so proud and then one asked why do we bow our heads to pray when God is up in Heaven. This is one of the DGC that doesn't go to church regulary. unless with us. So DH did his best to explain.So guess that shows she is watching and listening.

Katla--Glad you had a good ride, you needed that for you. I hope your DH gets over it soon.

Pip--I bet Kirby really likes his new ride. I understand you being like a mother hen the first couple times he rides. Glad you both are getting back on track. Sorry to hear about DB and your mom.

Linda--Thanks for the info I will check out petco

Heather--Good to hear DS#1 is there and doing well.

DJ--Thanks for sharing the pictures of your snowman. I enjoyed seeing them.

Meg--I hope you are staying safe with all the snow. Sounds like we are not going to get as much and they said. But we have ice and a lot of the side roads are not salted. It's snowing now so see who is right about the amount.

Becca--I have my ear rings and braclets in an plastic storage box that has a lot of little drawers.

Penny--HUGS! It is going to take time. Glad you all are able to come together for support.

Lisa--Sounds like your trip is nice and relaxing.

Well ladies please stay safe and warm.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE

December Goals
    1. weigh less end of the month then at the first.
    2. log my food, every bite
    3. Take each day as it comes
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Pip - I hear ya :)

Janetr
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ! ! !

Internet in our Hotel over the weekend was spotty, so we bought an extender, and plenty of people hopped on it, so we had to keep shutting it down. Therefore, with that and all the other holiday things we were doing, I didn’t have time to catch up. So, I’m starting with the currently final page at this time. I hope you all know you were on my shoulder most of the weekend (I went a little overboard on Sunday with my favorite fruit salad that MiL made for me).

I missed the original jewelry conversation, but I will still tell you my “system”. I sold and repaired Jewelry for many years, so I own WAY more than I need. When one jewelry box gets too full, I shop after-Christmas Clearance and buy a new one. The only thing about it that is organized is that my costume jewelry and my good jewelry have separate boxes. Nothing is on display except affordable pearls that I wear the most often. I often use the costume jewerly to make purses or to decorate hats or ponchos that I crochet.

Sophie – Thanks for the laugh. If you catch one of those young runners, let me know. I’m not looking to upgrade at this time, but the thought of it is entertaining.

Penny – More hugs and prayers for everyone. You are a treasure ! ! !

Lisa – I agree about Hotel coffee. Since we almost always travel with a dozen or more bowling balls, I am usually limited to 1 bag, so I take Starbuck’s Via on trips, or at least take my own coffee pouches. I have been known to find a super-cheap coffee maker, then just leave it in the Hotel room when we leave. And DH has finally accepted that if there is NOT in-room coffee, he needs to find me something, or risk Extra- Crabby-Terri.

Wow, I’m loving the pictures of all the snowmen. I’m a packrat, so I try not to collect anything except yarn at this time. But I feel like I have a snowman collection, because of looking at all the pictures you have posted. Thanks ! ! !

According to delivery drivers and patients, our snow started at almost exactly 9:00am today, which is the most recent forecast. From my chair it looks like it is coming down pretty heavy. I don’t recall how much we are expecting, but I know my tiny little Caddy will struggle to get me home.

Sylvia
    – Thanks for the laugh about wearing your glasses in the shower ! ! !

Well – the phone system at work just shut down. It looks like it’s trying to re-boot, but hasn’t happened yet. We’ll see. Another quiet day I guess.

Michele – Hugs and prayers for you, and your completely different children. I probably fully understand ! ! !

Kimses – I hear you! I have the same problem. Right now I have a calendar and a sheet of stickers, and a co-worker and I are putting stickers on the calendar when we DON’T cheat. I still have to be self-motivated, but a few times I have looked at an unhealthy food choice and said to myself “if I eat this I can’t put a sticker on the calendar tomorrow”. I’m not 100% convinced this will work for me, but so far it is better than nothing. Posting the picture of my stickers makes me feel accountable to everyone here, too.

Time to sign off, finish lunch, then back to work.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (the salt trucks are in, and the plows are out)
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »
    Hi -- I have a question for the group. What do you do to stay accountable in your weight loss? What I mean is that I am only accountable to me at the moment, and that poses a challenge. It's too easy for me to talk myself out of ditching the crackers in favor of an orange...walking out of the kitchen rather than grabbing something quick that is unhealthy. I hear that little voice say "I can start tomorrow OR...I haven't eaten much today."
    Tracking helps but I can still sabotage myself.
    I tried WW for so many years but I don't like the expense and wasn't wild about the support groups.

So...with the New Year looming, any thoughts? Are there challenge threads that you have joined? Other outside groups?

My pitfall is that I'm great about exercising, but still have what I consider some food addicition issues and have a hard time controlling those. I've managed to maintain some control over my weight (but am still somewhere about 30 lbs overweight) by being active. But I frequently feel frustrated with the food battle.

There's lots of success in this group, so let's hear about it!

Kimses in MA

Unfortunately, there is no magic potion. Its a day by day, minute by minute decision to make this a life time journey not a "diet". Barbie has a saying to the effect of choosing what we want most rather than what we want at the moment. Hang in there, each little success makes it easier. I complete my food diary the night before or first thing in the morning and then stick to it. Not to say I don't sometimes mess up, if I do I log it, and continue on. We are all here for you. You can do this.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    We decided that we will not try to leave for AZ tomorrow. Our roads in Oklahoma City and west to TX and NM are treacherous. We will see what Weds. brings. I think the storm has moved out to the east of us now. We may leave after rush hour traffic Weds. morning if the roads to the southwest are clear. It's ok with me. I'm tired and can use the rest today. If I were ambitious I'd take the tree and other decorations down, but Jack would have to get up in the attic above his shop and get the boxes and I know that won't be happening :)

Be safe all who are in the path of the storm.

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    with the bad weather and traveling some of you are doing, drive slow - breath - and take care!

Kimses - log.... log everything! The embarrassment/horror (to just me as my diary is closed) that I ate those things what ever it was (14 pieces of fudge one day) helps me make better decisions.

smiles Kim
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say hi. Slipping a bit in my food choices, staying within calories but have missed breakfast or just had toast and butter. Biscuits and chocolates sre tempting at mums, trying to resist. Keeping my hands busy doing crafts that I received as Christmas presents. The pen and ink drawing was started this afternoon, still lots to do and the copperfoil was completed yesterday.

df0bgpvfsx6t.jpeg
    yiw3qqpcg3fi.jpeg