WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    WOW, I see we all had a wonderful time yesterday!!!! Just like me, some of you overdid it and I haven't even gotten the full dinner yet. Yes, WE CAN DO THIS! We are a sisterhood and will do this.

I love the pictures you all put up. I am going to have to do something to post these pictures on line. One of my problem is that I am so involved with enjoying all my family I am taking less and less pictures when the family gets together. But I have a niece and son in law that are photographers and have wonderful cameras and they do a wonderful job. My niece has a really good touch of finding angles, and getting pictures that no one knows she is taking them. Paul is real good at regular posed pictures. Also even with pot lights through out my family room and regular ceiling lights and windows open, my pictures always seem dark. It is in my lower level but in a bilevel, half of it is above ground.

Heather, from your initial description of this park I thought it was going to be like Central Park in New York city but it isn't at all. It's very pastoral.

Well I went to Hobby Lobby today. I saw an idea of using toulle to make beautiful bows and I wanted to experiment with it on some of my wrapping this week so I needed to go to Hobby Lobby. I went on over to the christmas trees to see what they had and I found my tree! Unfortunately it will end up being in some one elses house because on sale it was $400. Our ceilings are 8 ft and this is 7 1/2 ft but the pine needles and the shape were so perfect. I had to make a quick run to Walmart also so I looked at theirs and they didn't even compare at all. The only one they had that was full was unlit and I am not going back there at all. And who in their right mind does a quick trip to Walmart on DEcember 26th??? Oh the wonderful things I saw being returned. It made me wonder if people take back thier children's things to get the money so they can buy drugs.

Time for me to say good night. Lisa, I hope where you are in Texas is safe.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    My younger daughter and family made it home to TX this afternoon before the storm hit. They have ice now. There was a big tornado in northeast TX that killed at least 4 people. This is going to get ugly. Luckily we are on the very east edge of the worst of it. Depending on how much snow it drops and where, we may not be able to leave for Arizona on Tuesday. I assume Arizona will still be there if we don't leave until Weds. :) Right now it looks as if oldest daughter and oldest granddaughter will be able to fly out tomorrow early evening. Hope the ice storm stays away so they can get home safely.

I'm tired and happy. My shingles are healing, thank goodness. The steroids have had me on an emotional roller coaster the last few days. Thankfully today was the last day of them. Still on the Valtrex. Did laundry today, would have started loading the motor home but it has rained cats and dogs all day. With the rain today, we have broken the record for the most rainfall in one year ever recorded in Oklahoma.

Goodnight my dear friends and thank you for all the nice words on our family picture I posted. Yesterday, all of my kids and grandkids (none of my step grands) and all of Jack's kids and grandkids and our next door neighbors were here for dinner and most of the afternoon/evening. We played board games later and got loud and laughed. No one called the cops tho, Joyce :)

Janetr OKC

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Sounds like you've had a wonderful time! Safe travels to your loved ones. <3
    In the north of England they have had record rainfall and many towns, cities and villages are flooded. Awful destruction, but so far, no one killed. We had your tornadoes on our news.

Love Heather UK
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!

Finally home from the Christmas getaway ice fishing.... I didn't catch any fish but everyone else did.. right from my 2 year old Grandson to my 88 year old MIL.!!! but then I only went out one day and everyone else was out there all three days!!

No time to catch up on the posts!! But I hope everyone is well and had a wonderful Christmas or break or whatever you want to call it.

Catch you all later!!

Lillian from West Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    4 hour drive to our last Christmas Celebration! Another successful nights sleep. Puppy is doing great!!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well I am reading on my phone so not taking notes which means I can't respond to everyone I would like to. Sounds like most of you had a nice Christmas Day.

Vicky - you can get the Kong toys for dogs at Petco or Petsmart. On the traditional Kong, you can put a treat or some peanut butter inside and it will keep them entertained for awhile. You could also try a Nylabone which should also be available at Petco or Persmart.

Well, I've come down with a cold which is moving down into my chest. I rested most of yesterday so today I am going to try to sweat it out with some exercise.

Have a fabulous day everyone!
    Linda /IA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My DS#1 is here and is on good form. So far he has had a bath and is now watching a cop DVD in his room. We ate together and have been chatting, but he needs a lot of time alone. That suits me fine.
    He loved the old Tour de France magazine from 1948 that I found in a junk shop in Montpellier. :D
    He didn't seem too fazed by our visitors tomorrow. Haven't told him about DH's niece bowing out of coming. I'll leave that. His food requirements for his newly diagnosed diabetes 2 are fairly easy - low carb, no sugar, lots of veg, salad, protein etc. Apparently Cognac is low in residual sugar. Who knew?

Did 500 calories of exercise this morning. Had to cut it 100 short because of having to pick him up from the train station. Got to the station to find they had dumped the train load of passengers 10 miles away as they had no driver. We had to go and get him. :ohwell: At least he's here. :love:

Back to faithfully logging today. I took two days off. Should be able to shift any excess as I really didn't eat a huge amount, just no exercise, so I know I was over. On Christmas Day morning I was actually bang on my target weight, having lost my holiday pesky pound. :D

Been hearing about the horrible tornadoes and loss of life. Hope all your loved ones are ok.
    The floods in the north of England are awful, but so far no loss of life.

Joyce - yes Hampstead Heath has some very wild parts and lovely ponds, some of which you can swim in. For 19 years I lived one street away. For 40 years I lived within a mile of it. One of my favourite memories is walking across the beautiful Heath to Hampstead on a Sunday morning and having a coffee or breakfast in the historic High Street. So many literary and artistic associations on the way. <3

Happy Crimbo Limbo. :laugh:

Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DH is painting my kitchen a nice grayish-green. It looks so nice. Will be painting my mudroom/utility room/computer area when he finishes kitchen. I'm trying to talk him into painting the cabinets a "Velvet White" which is the same color as the trim in the rest of the house. I'd like for him to paint the MBR; maybe going to a soft hue of rust (pick up a color in the bedspread I use during the Spring and Summer. Carrying the color out into the glassed-in porch. We discovered a leak in there and he's got to climb up on the roof and try to determine where the leak is coming from. It has rained like cats and dogs over the past couple of days; and parts are flooded; but, not around here. We got 3" over the course of 2 hours. Dirt road had places that were washed out; but, not totally gone. Just have to drive slowly so we won't tear up the bottom of the car.

Sitting here watching "Flea Market Flip". Love seeing what they make out of their chosen pieces. I can do this! Just don't have the room for any extra pieces around my house; because, it is basically a 5-room house with 7 rooms of furniture crammed into it. I'm ready to go through things and get rid of a few pieces; not that the things I'd be willing to get rid of would make for any extra room. But, the bookshelf has GOT to be de-cluttered somehow. Way too much 'stuff' on it. Some of it will go out in the glassed-in porch when we get it all finished. Have not decided what to do with the floor (yet). Have plants out there so whatever we need to either put all the plants into holders so we don't have to worry about the floor getting wet.

Bed made; going to pick up a couple of rolls of bubble wrap before taking down Christmas decorations. Got to get them down and put up by New Year's Day (throw out the 'old' year before the 'new' year).

Enjoying my dear "Cracker". Had to give her a bath yesterday. She does NOT like getting one every couple of weeks; but, she loves me using my hair dryer on her. I wish she'd settle down about the water or if I could find a way to restrict her movement while in the tub. She has not been washed under the hose outside (yet); maybe when it warms up. She has been climbing up in my lap a lot lately; she surprised DH by jumping up in his suddenly. Just a smidgen too big to be a 'lap dog'; but, she tries and she loves being scratched or rubbed on the belly. She is getting better about being able to 'control herself' when strangers come into the house with her 'piddling'.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year. I'm hoping that 2016 will be, at least, as good as 2015 have been for us. 2015 flew by, it seemed. Had a good Christmas; now, I need to check to see if the lady I sometimes go to for a mani/pedi will take a gift card; had my mind set on getting one. Thought DDnL#1 was going to get me a 'gift card' for that; but, then they gave me one for general use. Might have to pay for mani/pedi and use the gift card someplace else. Got to remember to use my K-Mart rewards before they run out this month.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    How often do you give a dog a bath?

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mary ~ Because our Pom has skin problems, we are supposed to give him a bath once a week. Also, supposed to rinse with 1/4 c bleach diluted in a gallon of water. I have fallen down on doing this lately and he is getting the hot spots again. So, will have to start the routine again. A lot of this comes from sitting on the back screened in porch on wet floor. As Lenora has said, it's been raining cats and dogs here.

We had a quiet day after Christmas and the same today. Love it!

Carol
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    1hkghs8h44f6.jpg
    x683ckhofenl.jpg
    gsatso2t3h8q.jpg
    vr5jymkwm3pl.jpg
    6otixus0zl3l.jpg
    mm8celtp0njv.jpg
    5nuprs2nrzyy.jpg
    Since I don't have any family pictures to share, here are some of the snowmen I've collected over the years. And a simple tree skirt that I have enjoyed for a number of years. Sorry if the pictures turned out too big.

Love you all,
    DJ <3
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Heather, sorry to hear that your DS’s new job is short term but hope something even better comes along or it turns into full time. I’m sure our DDIL appreciates all the help with the grands. You are such a dear!

Terri, love the pictures. Dang that young bowler is a cute devil. >:)

Vicki, I love your snowmen. I collect them too. At least half my tree decorations are snowmen and I have others of all sizes. I’ll try to post a picture of some later. Love your mantel!

Kimses, thanks for the website on accurate logging. I did quite a bit of reading on some of the boards when I got my scale but this one seems to give great detail. Hope the knees improve. I applaud you on continuing the P90x3!!!

Pip, congrats to Kirby on the new bike. It’s beautiful! Sorry to hear about your brother and Mom and hope things don’t come to a head. ((((Hugs))))

Sylvia, sending prayers for DS and his wife. Oh and especially for the kids.

Katla, so glad you enjoyed the riding. Hope DH gets over his anger soon. (((Hugs)))

Joyce, that tree should look good if the sale price is $400!!! Wowzer As long as your two good photographers share the pictures and send copies to you, it’s great to not have to bother taking pictures.

Janetr, glad everyone made it home safely. Your Christmas sounds wonderful and so glad you enjoyed it.

Linda, sorry to hear you are getting a cold. I hope it passes quickly.
    Heather, glad DS#1 made it. You said, “Apparently Cognac is low in residual sugar. Who knew?” smiley-laughing024.gif I can’t believe they just dumped the people out at a different location. I hope it’s a pleasant visit!!!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Love your decorations, Janet.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    morning peeps-
    today after the gym, we go to the bike shop and put his bike pedals on and get him measured for it, etc. after buying the bike (2016), we still had to get fenders, bike rack and got him a new pannier and i will take his old one since i carry alot more stuff than he does. the total still came out to just under 1k. , that's impressive! they couldn't discount the bike but they discounted all the extra stuff we bought for it.. he took off the bar ends that he took off of his old cannondale so he could put on this new bike, out with the old, in with the new. it's a specialized like by summer bike.d it also has disc brakes with is better for winter weather. it's not a cannondale otherwise the bike alone would have been over 1k. i'm excited for him. we are going to search for a new route for him to take where all the stops will be stop lights and not stop signs, i just want him to have options when coming home. also this bike has a granny gear which will help him get up the hills easier.

type to ya later
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    aby1i4umzq9o.jpg

Here is part of my collection. I collect "blue" themed snowmen.

Cheri in wet NE Ohio

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi friends it seems like a long time since I’ve come in here to chat. Hopefully with next week off, I’ll make it a habit once again.

We had a very nice Christmas with our best friends and both DDs. The BF came too and of course the baby, who still screams when she sees me. At least DD#1 was pleasant; she ate some, and looked like she cared enough to try to look nice. My Christmas gift was a 250-500 mm camera lens. WOW talk about close up. Now I can photograph eagle eyeballs! LOL I also got a hiking tripod, which is really cool. I cooked a 10# standing rib roast which was marvelous. On Christmas eve day, it started snowing right out of nowhere and we got 9” so we had a beautiful white Christmas. Now tonight it is supposed to start up again and not stop before leaving us with…OMG…17.4”! I’m not sure what I will do!

Miriam: I am hoping to get out to get a new shredder today; I have gone through 3 I am such a paperwork saver!

Alison: I hope you are at least able to enjoy some of your holiday!

Rosie: I’m sorry you are having such a hard time with the holiday. Sounds like a very stressful time. You’re right…learn how to take care of you! Give yourself the gift of something that is good for you. Give the chocolates to the neighbors! 

Mary MN: we kennel trained our last dog and it was a dream. She got to where she actually loved the kennel and would nap in there and run right in when we were leaving. Benny Beagle (he’s an old rescue) could not be kennel trained…it was a nightmare with him actually slicing his leg trying to get out once, but who knows what was in his past. The only suggestion I can give you is to make the kennel fun (treats!) and safe. It should be a place that no one bothers your puppy when he’s there. What kind is he? If we get another dog as a puppy he'll be kennel trained as well.

Heather: great looking family and pudding LOL> I made one once and it was lovely.

Becca: I had to laugh…yes we do have VSH and DVD and even a marble record player that we use tons! I’m anxious to see your list of movies!

Betty: wow what a gorgeous shot!

Katla: you could just keep the two extra life jackets and take me and my DH sailing!  Let me know how you and

DH like the pans; we’ve been looking at them.

Pip: lovely photo!

Mommylern5: welcome to the group.

Well I need to get some work done in the kitchen. Lots of freezing and vacuum sealing to accomplish. All the holiday food is fun, but it’s time to put it away for small treats later and get back on track.

Take care all. Meg from snowy Omaha!

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Pip: A granny gear? Sounds like something I would need on a bike. I've started looking on craigslist for a refurbished model I can take for occasional spins around the neighborhood.

Meg: Great to see you. Glad you had a fun Christmas.

Heather: Glad you're having a good visit with DS.

We had two days with no working TV and I loved it. DH and I listened to 90%% of an audiobook called "Mrs. Kennedy and Me" written by her former secret service agent. He loved it, and although I've listened to it before, it was enjoyable again. The cable box was switched out yesterday, and so now the TV is back on and we have the steady stream of news, documentaries and sports.

It's sunny but bitterly cold. Is it Penny who said "There's no bad weather, only bad clothes"? Time to bundle up, buttercup. There are lots of errands to do.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's raining cats and dogs here, and barely above freezing. A good day to stay indoors and clean house. So far I've done three loads of laundry and two loads of dishes, plus washed a bunch of pots and pans and glass baking dishes that we unpacked from boxes yesterday. But I'm still in my jammies, so it's about time to get dressed.

Have a great Sunday!

Sylvia