WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The Dallas tornado last night touched down about a hundred yards from my sister's house... All are fine, and just some minor wind damage to the house. They were all safely tucked up in her stepdaughter's storm shelter a few blocks away. She's a weather nut, so kept a close eye on it, and overrode her husband when he wanted to stay.

Our electricity went off at 230 this morning, and my favorite DBiL and DSiL and niece had stopped in to spend the night on their way home to Corpus Christi, after Christmas in Fort Huachuca, AZ, with middle daughter (also a soldier).

Scrambled up the hill at 530 this morning to make coffee--the cantina has a generator, so everything was working there. Filled three thermoses, and we went through it all! The DH made breakfast for all, we cleaned up, and headed south and west. Stopping overnight near Austin, then down to south Louisiana, to get out of the weather. May just stay south and skip Missouri. See what the weather does. My DD is planning a February visit now, anyway, as our son will be here on leave then, too.

We're driving in the snowstorm now, one of those times it's good to be married to an Alaskan.... Should be out of it in another 50 or 60 miles, maybe a hundred. I'll check back in later... we're doing much better in the pickup truck than we would have in my car, so that was a good decision!

Lisa in blizzard conditions in West Texas
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    My goodness Rori! That's some memory you've got! I'm impressed!

Actually, I'm the person who didn't say, "There's no bad weather, only bad clothes." Teachers and day-care staffers say that to children (and to their parents), but as a meteorologist's wife, I have a special take on the saying: "There's no bad weather, only more or less interesting weather."

We've had a nice quiet Christmas with little overeating and overdrinking. In a couple days we'll be going to the mainland and our son and his family will be coming up to the island place, briefly, after New Year's day. Since grocery shopping there takes a long time, we intend to do all the shopping before the family arrives. That means I have to make a thorough list. So that's what I've been doing today. Menu planning first, then grocery list based on that.

Happy continuation of the holidays, everyone!
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    2191610q208gshr57.gif Rori, We have four headphone sets and two sets of earbuds. One TV has corded headphones (long enough cord to reach the person in the recliner or the person riding the exercise bike). The other TV has cordless headphones to allow the TV watcher to move around the whole house freely and still hear what's being broadcast. Each of us has corded earbuds and blue tooth headphones for listening to music or audio books or podcasts on our phones or the laptop computer or the tablet. We have an agreement that headphones are used when either of us is watching/listening to something that the other doesn't care to hear.

t7820.gifI love all the snowmen If I hadn't made a commitment to get rid of things rather than acquiring, I'd start my own collection.

Here are my snowmen

0qw9y0ou9yjo.jpg

They are ceramic, painted by Jake :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Mary - I bathe "Cracker" every other week; unless she romps in the mud puddles with Luna and Jax (DOS's dogs); yesterday was her day to have a bath anyway, so we did not really care that she got all muddy; bathe her in my tub (if it was Summer, DH would probably bathe her with the hose). She hates the bath; but, LOVES being dried off with my dryer. She'll lay down for that and has finally started learning to turn over for me ... that's taking a little coaxing.

Today, after all the rain, it is sunny and pretty nice weather-wise outside. But, it is supposed to start raining again, tomorrow; but, you can't trust the weather reports here.

DJ - love your snowmen/women. I collect 'flamingos' and have close to 70 totally different ones. They'll go outside on the glassed-in porch when it is finished; along with my art books. Door is going to be one of the most expensive things we still need to get; because it is an 'outside' door we are thinking around $300; other than that a little insulation, some bead board, and something for the floor. Depending on what we need probably about $1000 to $1500 to finish it. Might end up putting up sheers to help block the afternoon sun; but, we'll wait and see how it goes when opening up the MBR French Doors for the 'heat' and 'air' to filter out there. We opened it up once and it felt good, so maybe we won't have to 'pop' for a vent to be cut out there. Will get a flat screen TV with an arm so it can be pulled out or pushed back to the wall. Already have the furniture which has been covered now for 2+ years. Going to use the toolbox that my Granddaddy made as the coffee table. Might use my old wooden art box as a middle table between 2 of the chairs. I've got to figure out what I need to finish it. Need to get some legs and then stain the box. I'll keep the remote to the TV in it when not in use.

Getting a new perm in my hair tomorrow; Tuesday will be weigh-in day and I'll go to eat with my BF, too. Got to buy some bubble wrap; then I can start taking down Christmas decorations.

Pip - Kirby's new bike looks great. I'm sure y'all have that thing 'tricked out' in a short time.

Lisa - Glad your sister and family are safe and that they only had some wind damage. Our crew were at DDnL#1's mother's house; they did not get it quite as bad as we did here; but, they had to drive during it. Pictures on TV showing homes in the next county being flooded (again) from the water in the creeks. Last time there was a big storm (hurricane stalled over the area); they had the 500-year flood. Displaced so many people. Some rebuilt and some just left. A lot had to 'life' their houses to try to keep them above flood level. We have a pond that won't hold water; Louis was supposed to go look at it to see what kind of water might have stayed in it. DH says it is full of water. Can't really see it from the house. Was built where there is a natural spring; but, also means that unless we do something to the floor (people say get a big huge load of 'chicken $#*T' to line it with) ... but, we have not done that either. We'd probably have a drought and then smell it to high heaven whenever it did rain. What a waste of $$$.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    <3
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Mary: depends what she gets into. Lol. We have her groomed every 6 weeks, we brush daily n wash her face. If she gets into something she gets a bath.

Finally snow, freezing temperatures!!!! No ice for ice fishing, will be by Friday. Sounds like most had a great Christmas. Now comes the slow boring season up here in the north. Most our age go south, hubby still working ft with no plans to quit. Happy New Years!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,099 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    :smiley:

Here's hoping everyone has had a good time over the festive season, and that you all celebrating in your own personal way.

Love all the snowmen, and the pictures.

We went for a walk along the coast this morning. This is a picture of the Irish Sea. The guy is DSIL trying to catch up with DD#1 and DH.

jmnvpmsv5c7q.jpeg

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

80464089.png

w81hz7cecq7u.jpeg

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    DJ love the snowman. My aunt Esther made ones like the knitted ones you have. She was a wonderful lady so nice to think about her today.

Home made caramel rolls at church to live for.

DH still adjusting to his meds. I am adjusting to what his treatment means for him and me. Hard to see him so sick. It is like he has the flu. He did feel well enough to go for a walk outside which is great.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    had a nice time at the pool, as always this 1/2 irish girl is getting some color..
    we will be leaving very early on thursday,... so will soak up as much as I can in the next few days.. having our pool friends over for dinner tomorrow.. then our renter will be making dinner for us weds...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri - oh I love that coast! Those rocks and stones speak to me! <3

How great all the snowmen are! Don't you get sooooooo attached to things like that - they become people.

My son is talking of getting a dog - a retired greyhound. I think it's a good idea - he has no children, or even a car. He has always loved animals, just never felt it fair to have one, working full time. Apparently a greyhound is the right breed. He told me my ex has named him in the will as the carer if he and his wife died. He finds his half brother and sister hard work, but obviously loves them. He also said he would move nearer to London if my ex's health deteriorated, which it could do. All this is news to me, but very interesting.
    He got a bit upset and anxious this evening at dinner when DH and I were arguing about something and asked us to stop. That was ok and I was glad he was able to say it. He has gone to bed really early. :ohwell: I think it's all ok though. Bit of walking on glass, but going ok so far. Hope he'll be alright with the visitors tomorrow.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Pip: A granny gear? Sounds like something I would need on a bike. I've started looking on craigslist for a refurbished model I can take for occasional spins around the neighborhood.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

go to a bike shop and get measured to see what size frame would fit you, THEN look on craigslist so you can look for that size of frame
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 19.29min, 6.7, 7.5sp last 1/2mi, 145ahr, 181mhr, 8.45ap/min mi. 2mi = 221c
    other- 28min, 7 different stretch exercises - 3 sets of 10 each, mhr101 = 93c
    total cal 314
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Heather, a greyhound is a WONDERFUL dog to get. That's what I wanted but hubby said they were too big so we settled for a whippet. I do love whippets, but still long for one of the big ones. In my mind they are the perfect dog breed. So gentle and sweet. I bet your son will love it.

Mary, Bruno has had exactly one bath in the three years we've had him. And that was a few weeks ago when he had that bad bout of the runs. Spot got bathed twice at the vet's when we first found him and he was such a mess and full of fleas. That was a year ago. He won't go near a bathtub, so I'm afraid he wouldn't take it well if I tried it at home. Molly is in her wading pool a lot. When she was a puppy I used to put water in the tub with a ball or some other floating toy and she would play happily for a long time before I drained the water to get her out. When she would come inside with muddy feet I would just say "bathtub" and she would run for the bathroom, so she didn't mind it at all. But she is like a cat, always grooming herself and she stays pretty clean anyway. And her coat is very short and smooth. I have cleaned her with a baby wipe a few times.

I have a small confession that might amuse some of you. This morning when I took my shower I thought I was having a stroke or something. My vision was blurry and just got worse and worse. Then I realized that I had forgotten to take off my glasses. Duh!

Meg, welcome back! How's the weather up there in Omaha? I went to the studio for a little while and it was raining so hard! We've gotten 7 inches so far today and the creeks are all out of their banks and lapping at the roads and bridges. And it's still coming down. I think we are in for some flooding. Luckily we live on a little hill, so we should be OK but some people in town are already reporting their basements are flooded. If we were a hundred miles west it would be snow. We are at 33 degrees now, so it will certainly freeze tonight.

I'm enjoying my mew laptop very much. I have found however that Words with Friends doesn't work very well on it. And I can't get some of the apps I love from my phone and ipad. I can 't get the audiobook app that our library uses and I can't get Podcast Addict.

Well, hubby wants to go out to dinner tonight. I think he's sick of ham. This is my last day of eating junk before I go back to my real diet tomorrow. I have gained a lot of weight since my gastro troubles started. About 15 pounds. So I have to get that back off. I can't even fit in my size 14 jeans! I had to dig the 16's out of the bottom drawer. This shall not stand!

Goodnight all!

Sylvia
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Life seems to be on PAUSE presently. Don't have any money to do much of anything.

STAR movie channel has a free weekend, so we did record a bunch of OUTLANDER series, (I think its still the first season). We laughed every time they did the pre-warning of violence-graphic content-brief nudity. Some of the episodes had a warning of full nudity but we think they had a "stunt double" for the uncircumcised man parts....how do they do casting calls for an actor for that??? Hmmm we need some Scottish men that can speak Gaelic and have to be uncircumcised. I told my husband I think they had a stunt double for that, and he just howled with laughter!!!

Loved all the pictures of everyone's family, and decorations.

Regarding the video list, I have to set my son and husband down and they say yea or nay with them. Husband is watching a program, and son is playing computer, so maybe later tonight. Its not a fun task but one that needs to be done. Usually my son comes back to me later during the year saying, where is this or that. I'm like, you chose it to travel on, so deal with it. It's good for kids to always go thru their stuff.

Paring down stuff keeps them in check on just how unimportant stuff really is. For me, this is how I pare down:

If the item has sentimental value, and evokes great memories, then keep it.

If you are holding on to an item that your relative held onto but kept it in a cabinet because Aunt so and so gave it to her, then it goes.

I try to look at each room and define its purpose. What activities do I do in that room primarily? If I was a knitter and like to knit, then keep an area for that. We don't do much more than watch and eat in the living room so everything else non-related to that is out. We do play some board games, so I have a corner with those in there.

Magazines have no purpose once you have read them. If you like certain articles then cut those out, to read for later. After I read them I take them to the laundromat and then others can read them (if they aren't cut up)..

Question I have no organization when it comes to jewelry and necklaces. What do you all use for containers for your jewelry? I want something I can put on the wall. In my minds eye I am thinking on getting two hooks to hold a piece of driftwood, or branch (all shellacked) then put pretty copper nails on it to hang necklaces. But what about all my hook earrings and post earrings? I don't have a lot but I do have some.

Becca
    Oregon

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hello all from beautiful charleston, sc. Had a difficult delay in airport car rental snafu but we hung tight and didnt dissolve into outrage or tears---victory 3 hours later we were on the road to visit cousins' family. Lovely visit then off to being tourists in this beautiful and historic city.
    I am choosing seafood at restaurants and skipping the holiday sweets, even managed to get on the treadmill in the hotel. Tomorrow i am treating myself to a massage, something i would never spend money on, but this is my reward for taking care of myself and i wont chicken out!!!(i hope)
    Christmas was a very long, family filled day which started in brooklyn, ny then to philadelphia and back to brooklyn, ny it was a whirlwind but worth it to spend time with both sides of the family...i am surely blessed but this is the second christmas without my mom and i almost lost it just walking into the house and feeling her absence.
    Well we are off to dinner, missing my dd but feel good about focusing on being with dh.
    All the best to you all, stay safe and warm especially those who are facing treacherous weather. Karen from ny
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    On our way back home! 3 more hours to go. Thanks for all the feedback on puppy bathing and behavior. I've had dogs before but outdoor country/ lake dogs. Very different then indoor.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sylvia LOL...glad you didn't have a stroke. That's a unique way to clean your glasses.

The swelling in my knee was down today, so I continued with my workouts.
    My food intake stinks, though. If I can just get the exercise and food in sync, I'll be happy.

However, I'm glad that I wasn't too focused on food the first two weeks of my workout plan. I was so sore and having a hard time getting through the first week that it would have added an additional level of struggle.

I'm done with week 2 and on to week 3.

See you tomorrow!

Kimses in MA

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr Stott Pilates for Weight Loss DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of the Butt Lift DVD I have, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

My heel is still hurting, but I've been trying to rest it and be off it as much as possible, hopefully that's helping.

Back to faithfully logging. Fortunately, Vince finished the last of the Kirspy Kreme donuts. Otherwise I probably would have had one just to finish them up. I did finish up the fudge and logged it. Now I have cookies for him, but I'm not tempted by them at all. Even thru this holiday I've been exercising. Admitted, not very vigorous. But at least I did something.

Jessica gave a "special gift" to everyone. Basically, it was a book where she made pics and you had to guess what she's giving people. she gave Denise and Pete 2 tickets to Wahsington (DC) -- they can stay with her and as she says "there are lots of places to go for free". she gave Colby a trip to the Space Center, she'd already talked to us about using the condo. I told Vince that we should have given her a gift certificate to Dixie Crossroads (very well known seafood restaurant but in the same town as the condo) but he said he wasn't sure she was going to give Colby the trip. Oh well.... She gave Vince this ticket to where he can drive a train. then she gave me two tickets to get a massage. I know that Vince isn't interested so I'd take Jess (maybe that was her thought deep inside). She'd been talking about it before. Actually, if we don't go, it's not going to be any skin off my back. It would be nice if Denise were here to go with us, too. I'd pay for her.

DJ - love the ornaments on your tree. That's one thing that I'm into, different ornaments. So many times I see ornaments in the store and they are heavy and BIG. I like the plastic (light) ones and ones that aren't real big.

pip - I don't think I ever looked really carefully at any on the photos you've posted. If I had, I might have the answer to my question. However, I'll ask it anyway. when you and/or Kirby bike ride, do you have special shoes you wear that clip onto the pedals? What's the advantage to a route with stop lights versus stop signs. At either one, you are depending on the other driver to actually come to a stop and stay there. I've seen people blow thru a stop light, especially if it's about to turn red. I've seen pepole run red lights and also jack rabbit start the absolute second the light turns green.

Meg - so good to see you again. do me a favor, tho, and keep that snow! I put away (froze) most of the holiday foods except for the leftovers that I plan to use next week.

Colby needed half and half for the mashed potatoes. There was some left over, I didn't tell Vince but I just poured it into the milk gallon. He finished, never knew the difference! At least that's one thing out of my refrigerator! I have some buttered noodles that I'll want him to finish then I'll make him some mashed potatoes and use the rest of the sour cream. Oh no, I just realized that I totally forgot to give Jess the sample of the vanilla cake for her to let her friend try. Oh well...I'll just keep it in the freezer along with the ginger cookies that I meant to give Colby.

Never heard from Bryan, but in the mental state that he's in, I'm not surprised. We did send him some money via PayPal and we'll probably do the same for Diana's birthday tomorrow.

I feel this cold breeze so I bet Vince has the a/c on. Weird......

pip - wow on those stats!

Syliva - you made me laugh out loud...thinking you were having a stroke.....:) I'm not a big ham eater, but I will have some on New Years Day (gotta have pork, never fowl). I seem to be quite sensitive to the sodium in foods, but I'll make an exception on NYD and just drink plenty of water

Becca - I have a jewelry box where I keep my necklaces (they hang up) and then some small jewelry boxes just for earrings

Karen - good for you getting on that treadmill!

Michele from NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Exermom this is on the bottom of our shoes and the pedal we clip them on to
    xyq8hlqnish8.jpeg
    wapag8622fo8.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    exermom - it's a process to get used to riding with them, especially in the city, you have to get used to clip and unclipping pretty fast as you need to come up to a stop. as a rider, you have to be a defensive rider all the time, you have to basically assume a car driver DOES NOT see you. i am still riding the route that we have been taking, the one where kirby got hit on. i was just giving him an alternate route because he is the one that got hit and has to mentally get used to riding again. if he rides where there are stop lights, he will be riding along with traffic. don't get me wrong, there still is a danger because poop heads are still running yellow lights, etc.. but he hast to do whatever makes him feel more safe and if riding on a route where there are stop lights vs stop signs is it, i will help him find that route.