Options
13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I used to have a 29 inch waist and 44 inch hips...so no, you're not the only one.

Yeah, 24 waist and 41 hips here, jeans are a flipping nightmare to buy! I can only wear low riders anything higher I'm done for!

Such tiny waist! Amazing.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I wear a 33 waist in Wrangler jeans. 33s are a bit big, 32s won't even fasten.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    What i got from this was that the cashier was suprised that they didnt fit because they were the size the OP asked for - and she knows her own size, right? It would imply that the clothing size was out- which she thought was wierd.

Also what are the measurements for US size 0 and 00? I was wondering how that relates to uk sizes. I recently had to have a skirt waist taken in - it was supposedly a uk size 8 but had a 27 inch waist! Id.not have usually bothered and got rid but i love the fabric.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @Whitezombiegirl , you might be interested in this Wiki article: US Standard Clothing Size
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I shop at ny & co because they actually have some style pants that fit me well (slim fit). I wear a size 0/1 there but atleast a size 3 in every other brand.

Yep. I wear a smaller size at NY&C than I do at other stores. Which is why I like it.

Oh, gotta check them out! I shop at Old Navy and have this experience too. I hesitate to shop elsewhere because ON carries a cut of jeans that fits me perfectly.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Something you need to know about NY&C...that's where I have to buy all my work pants. I've had to since I was 17 years old (I turned 37 yesterday). I'm 5'11, 36" inseam. They are the only pants i have find in the right length (or at least do able, since most are 35") that I can afford (or at least want to spend on pants).

I have noticed I can find 1 pair of pants I like in there, and each color will fit differently. Even if you pick up a pair that is say an 8 in brown, and they don't fit right, try another 8 brown...they might fit differently. Seriously, ask the women who work there - they will tell you that no one item in that store fits like the other...The fact that the sales woman said what she said is because she didn't care. It was something to say. You were more than likely not even a blimp on her radar and she had something else on her mind. Find one who cares to help - they exists. I was one of them at one time...LOL
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    @Whitezombiegirl , you might be interested in this Wiki article: US Standard Clothing Size

Thanks hun. Its really intetesing. Vanity sizing is just getting ridiculous - its even with shoes now!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Something you need to know about NY&C...that's where I have to buy all my work pants. I've had to since I was 17 years old (I turned 37 yesterday). I'm 5'11, 36" inseam. They are the only pants i have find in the right length (or at least do able, since most are 35") that I can afford (or at least want to spend on pants).

I have noticed I can find 1 pair of pants I like in there, and each color will fit differently. Even if you pick up a pair that is say an 8 in brown, and they don't fit right, try another 8 brown...they might fit differently. Seriously, ask the women who work there - they will tell you that no one item in that store fits like the other...The fact that the sales woman said what she said is because she didn't care. It was something to say. You were more than likely not even a blimp on her radar and she had something else on her mind. Find one who cares to help - they exists. I was one of them at one time...LOL

I used to work in retail apparel, too, and this is quite true. (Not sure if this part is true, but a designer once told me that mass-produced clothing is usually cut in a stack, which is part of why there can be such a discrepancy between items of the same size, explaining that the fabric on the top of the stack will end up slightly different than the fabric at the bottom. And most assemblies are done in segments, by people using machines, rapidly moving the fabric, room for lots of human error.) I remember that darker colored dyes, especially darkest denim and any fabric in black, typically had a smaller fit in the same size as other pieces in lighter colors, no idea if there was some reason for that or if it only seemed that way.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »

I used to work in retail apparel, too, and this is quite true. (Not sure if this part is true, but a designer once told me that mass-produced clothing is usually cut in a stack, which is part of why there can be such a discrepancy between items of the same size, explaining that the fabric on the top of the stack will end up slightly different than the fabric at the bottom. And most assemblies are done in segments, by people using machines, rapidly moving the fabric, room for lots of human error.) I remember that darker colored dyes, especially darkest denim and any fabric in black, typically had a smaller fit in the same size as other pieces in lighter colors, no idea if there was some reason for that or if it only seemed that way.

I've really noticed that (the bolded part.) My husband was trying on jeans last month and when he found a pair he liked, he wanted to get another pair in a darker wash. I told him before he tried them on that I predicted they would be too small and they were. He was surprised about how much smaller they seemed to be.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm still in between sizes. I don't think I was ever solidly in one size the whole time I gained or lost weight. There are a lot of people who are just not proportioned like the sizing models.

Just buy the larger (and/or longer) size and get it altered if you like the clothes well enough, or find a store than cuts their clothes so they fit you, if you can. I have little luck with the latter, at least for pants.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm in-between sizes too. I've pretty much given up on finding well-fitting pants off the rack. They fit in the waist, but not the legs (too big).
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sometimes weight comes off more from one place than another.

I have lost about20 lbs since August. The pants that fit hips and thighs slide down uncomfortably on my belly. If I could find high waisted pants other than front pleats fro the thrift shops, I would grab them.

To answer your question, change in body shape is not weird and , for me, I can't tell if it is permanent. While I am in the process of losing weight ( and seeing if I can keep it off), I have been buying jeans at Salvation Army stores and dress pants from resale and thrift shops. It doesn't feel as bad to "out grow" something I only paid $5 for.

Keep up the good work on the weight loss.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    In the waist, I pretty much always wear a belt anyway so I can always go a size up if I need to and adjust the fit with a belt without it looking bad.

My real problem is that I need a 29 inch length for my pants, and even online it's often hard to find pants shorter than a 30 particularly with the waist size I need, so my pants end up a bit too long in the leg and I end up occasionally stepping on them.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    In the waist, I pretty much always wear a belt anyway so I can always go a size up if I need to and adjust the fit with a belt without it looking bad.

My real problem is that I need a 29 inch length for my pants, and even online it's often hard to find pants shorter than a 30 particularly with the waist size I need, so my pants end up a bit too long in the leg and I end up occasionally stepping on them.

I am so glad that jeans for women can now be found in short (S) sizes. I got really sick of overly-long jeans as my inseam is about 28" even though I am tall. It's especially awful during the cold, wet winter to drag around dirty pant legs.

There is a very easy way to hem jeans with a regular sewing machine which preserves the original edge. It's pretty easy to do. All of my Mexican friends with 25-27" inseams come to me for this. :) Dress pants can be hemmed by hand.

PM me if you want instructions.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, I get why OP was so upset. I harbored a lot of unfounded ill will toward people thinner than me before I got my act together and chose to do what I had to do to join them. Who wouldn't love to be one of those people who doesn't have to consciously choose to eat less or who has never experienced some of the unfounded cruelty that's been directed at me? Like, in all honesty, who wouldn't, given the chance, take a pill that made you able to just go about your day and eat what you want and what you want just happens to be skinny you maintenance calories? Never having been fat, no loose skin, no stretch marks. That's like saying you wouldn't wanna win a million dollars tomorrow no strings attached. These were what fueled my jealous and resentful and unhappy feelings.

On the other hand, those feelings, that jealousy, was about me. Internal, save for the cruelty I experienced by being judged by weight alone and not by "hello, I'm actually kind of a good person ya know". No size 2 person, even one who has always been a size 2 without having to put the slightest bit of conscious effort into it, has anything to do with me being fat. I'm the reason I got fat, and if that size two person wasn't a jerk to me for my fat, then they don't deserve my ill will. Period.

OP, I think you're mentally in a rough place right now, and I get it. I think probably most people here get it (or got it once and seem to have forgotten). Being overweight really really sucks. It makes you hate yourself and that anger gets projected because that's what angry people do sometimes, project. You need to focus on feelings you can control, internally, like your reactions to skinny people. They haven't got anything to do with your weight and 99/100 of them aren't judging you, they're just going about their day like anyone, and like I'm sure EVERYONE does on a daily basis, they sometimes make offhand comments that don't mean a dam thing and it can be taken the wrong way by others.

You wanna stop feeling this way? Take control of your own choices, your own feelings, and your own judgments. F*** everyone else, grow a pair and tell your mom that shopping is not your thing until you get to goal weight, and when the next size 2 sales chick comes along, recognize YOUR prejudgments, instead of projecting them onto her. She works in retail probably making not enough $$ to afford those shirts she sold you, so even if she was being nasty(unlikely), deep breathe and let it go and focus on getting your own mind and your own body where you will be happy and this kind of nonsense won't bother you anymore. Focus on what you can change. You can change your body so you never have to worry about this again.