RAMADAN

Options
Just curious...are there any muslims on here that will be fasting for the 30 days of Ramadan and have been successful in the past at losing weight while fasting? I have been fasting this week and found that the 21 hours or so of fasting does a toll on my body so even if I eat a small amount at night, I just maintain my weight. I know it's probably because my body goes in starvation mode. I also am not exercising while fasting for obvious reasons. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm not Muslim, but I know many people who are and who fast during Ramadan. It's important to try and eat the same amount of calories you did before Ramadan. Once the sun goes down, stuff your face with calories. It may be hard to eat that many calories in a short time, so consider eating calorically dense foods like peanut butter, whey protein, ice cream, butter, olive oil, etc
  • IndianMuslim
    IndianMuslim Posts: 154
    Options
    I never thought about consuming the same amount of calories. Thanks :)
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that will be fasting for Ramadan next month. I play soccer with him and i know last year he was struggling hard, but toughed it out. He told me he gorges on food at night, wakes up in the middle of the night to eat something, and wakes up a few hours earlier than normal to eat before sun up. Then goes to work, then when he comes home he crashes until sun down.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am not a Muslim either, but I know that 21 hours of fasting will NOT put you in starvation mode. It takes at least 72 hours for that to have any effect. Many people have been successful at losing weight during a fast. It all comes down to the total calories for the day consumed being less than what is used (in vs. out).
  • IndianMuslim
    IndianMuslim Posts: 154
    Options
    Listened to your advice and lost a pound yesterday! small steps... :)
  • riizara
    riizara Posts: 5
    Options
    Last Ramadan I only managed to maintain my weight. This time I'm planning to, rather eat two big meals at sunset and dawn, eat smaller amounts within the time that it's allowed to eat as well as doing pilates. I've heard a few people who did Insanity during Ramadan though I wouldn't recommend that since its really intense..
  • udt123
    udt123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I fast all year round and I've never been in better shape =) Fasting is the way to go!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    But also, you'll take in less fluids won't you. And when Ramadan falls this time of year with longer hotter days, you could lose a lot of fluid during the day which you're not replacing.
  • natashabamford7
    natashabamford7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting this year, would be nice to have some support add me if you want.

Hoping to lose some weight or atleast maintain this ramadan because last year I put on ALOT of weight.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to drink plain water in hours of fasting?

Not for calories but just so you don't get dehydrated if it is hot and you are outside a lot or similar?
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to drink plain water in hours of fasting?

Not for calories but just so you don't get dehydrated if it is hot and you are outside a lot or similar?

No, fasting is total abstention from food and drink.
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting...even though my TOM will start around the time we begin(not pleased::mad: ). Unfortunately for me I can't eat a whole lot during that time but I drink a lot of water. As for exercise, I'm not sure but if anything,I may be jumping rope.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting this year insha'Allah and each year I do lose weight. I think the key is like a previous poster said: try to get in the same amount of calories as if you weren't fasting. I don't usually have a problem with that! :)
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting. I typically lose a few pounds during Ramadan.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I fast all year round and I've never been in better shape =) Fasting is the way to go!
    Me too, but I assume you also drink water while fasting. They can't.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting...even though my TOM will start around the time we begin(not pleased::mad: ). Unfortunately for me I can't eat a whole lot during that time but I drink a lot of water. As for exercise, I'm not sure but if anything,I may be jumping rope.
    I'm not an expert on Islam, but aren't you allowed to not fast during menstration? I know a lot of muslims and last year I asked a lot of questions like do diabetics have to fast, pregnant women, etc. and they told me that menstration was another circumstance in which you are permitted to abstain from fasting.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I am not a Muslim either, but I know that 21 hours of fasting will NOT put you in starvation mode. It takes at least 72 hours for that to have any effect. Many people have been successful at losing weight during a fast. It all comes down to the total calories for the day consumed being less than what is used (in vs. out).

72 hours? Wrong! Google "Starvation mode myth".
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on Islam, but aren't you allowed to not fast during menstration? I know a lot of muslims and last year I asked a lot of questions like do diabetics have to fast, pregnant women, etc. and they told me that menstration was another circumstance in which you are permitted to abstain from fasting.

This is true. Women do not have to fast during their time of the month, but are suppose to make it up after Ramadan is over.
  • Saraa17
    Saraa17 Posts: 3
    Options
    I will be fasting this Ramadan too Insha'Allah. I just wanted to get some advice on what I would do in terms of exercise as I want to keep going to the gym and keep up my fitness. Any advice?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I am not a Muslim either, but I know that 21 hours of fasting will NOT put you in starvation mode. It takes at least 72 hours for that to have any effect.
    You're Funny