RAMADAN

Options

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting this Ramadan too Insha'Allah. I just wanted to get some advice on what I would do in terms of exercise as I want to keep going to the gym and keep up my fitness. Any advice?

I am planning (depending on how I feel) to do a workout (nothing intense) 30 minutes or so before we break our fast. I'm just going to take it one day at a time and see how I feel, though.
  • shaf1077
    shaf1077 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I fast every year. This year is different for me as I have lost around 21 kg so far since February. Really don't want to put weight on during fasting. Worried about eating the wrong foods when I open fast. Those fried starters can be so tempting.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Focus on the spiritual aspect of your fast. Know that this is a time for you to be selfless and give thanks for all your blessings. Practice lots of prayer and silent meditation. Enjoy and be thankful when it is time to eat. You'll be fine the body has been designed by God to go through periods of faminine/fast and periods of bounty.
  • Xwardian
    Xwardian Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a muslim n i will be fasting for 30 days... Last year i lost 20 pounds during Ramadan without exercise... I used to open my fast with any energy drink... That helped me to avoid eating too much... That was a bit hard but worth it... Oh and any seasonal fruit is a must... Best of luck :)
  • shaf1077
    shaf1077 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Focus on the spiritual aspect of your fast. Know that this is a time for you to be selfless and give thanks for all your blessings. Practice lots of prayer and silent meditation. Enjoy and be thankful when it is time to eat. You'll be fine the body has been designed by God to go through periods of faminine/fast and periods of bounty.

Couldn't agree more! I have been worried about not being able to continue my workouts/gym during Ramadan and have not been looking forward to it. Instead i need to be grateful for the weight I have lost and accept this upcoming month as a blessing.
  • Xwardian
    Xwardian Posts: 16 Member
    Options

perfectly said
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    ill be fasting and working out as well im cutting right now still going to cut ill reduce the sets and volume and days i go to the gym
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I could never do the no-water part.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Well, whatever you do while you fast, to all of you who are fasting, Ramadan kareem

I'm not religious in any faith, but I know your faith will carry you through your fast :flowerforyou:
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I live in a muslim area and I love the air of... I don't know, festivity? Everybody knows it's going to be tough fasting during the summer but all the restaurants and cafes have special offers and are keeping special hours.

There's lots of gorgeous fried food but so much fresh fruit and healthy veggie curries, biriyanis and dhals. I guess as ever it's about your choices and doing your hardest to resist temptation when you're absolutely ravenous.

All I can say is it'll take a stronger person than me... I basically need to surround myself with healthy snacks because if I get hungry my willpower gets shot to pieces! I really admire those who fast and the self restraint it takes. And also the noble reasons people do it for. More power to you and best of luck, hope that it all goes well!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You guys should read this site:

http://www.leangains.com/

There has been quite a lot of research on Ramadan-style fasting and its effects on insulin sensitivity and other aspects of metabolism; it's pretty interesting. Martin Berkhan, who runs the Lean Gains site, talks about this research in accessible terms.
  • IndianMuslim
    IndianMuslim Posts: 154
    Options
    that's true. you do not fast while menstruating, but you have to make up the fasts you missed at a later time :O
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    i loved your response. so true. we do need to focus on the real reason behind fasting during this month. thanks for the reminder! :)
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am not a Muslim either, but I know that 21 hours of fasting will NOT put you in starvation mode. It takes at least 72 hours for that to have any effect. Many people have been successful at losing weight during a fast. It all comes down to the total calories for the day consumed being less than what is used (in vs. out).

72 hours? Wrong! Google "Starvation mode myth".

I've done that. I thought I learned that any kind of extra metabolic slowdown from not eating anything would take at least 72 hours to start setting in, and it would be a small percentage. I wasn't referring to actual starvation. Am I misunderstanding something? I was just trying to express that if we're talking about 21 hours, starvation mode is definitely not a player.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am not a Muslim either, but I know that 21 hours of fasting will NOT put you in starvation mode. It takes at least 72 hours for that to have any effect.
    You're Funny

And why's this funny?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting...even though my TOM will start around the time we begin(not pleased::mad: ). Unfortunately for me I can't eat a whole lot during that time but I drink a lot of water. As for exercise, I'm not sure but if anything,I may be jumping rope.
    I'm not an expert on Islam, but aren't you allowed to not fast during menstration? I know a lot of muslims and last year I asked a lot of questions like do diabetics have to fast, pregnant women, etc. and they told me that menstration was another circumstance in which you are permitted to abstain from fasting.

This is true. Women do not have to fast during their time of the month, but are suppose to make it up after Ramadan is over.
    Not to derail the topic of this thread, but what about diabetics? It wouldn't be feasible for them to fast at any point. I'm assuming they just don't make it up and they're permanently excused, right?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting...even though my TOM will start around the time we begin(not pleased::mad: ). Unfortunately for me I can't eat a whole lot during that time but I drink a lot of water. As for exercise, I'm not sure but if anything,I may be jumping rope.
    I'm not an expert on Islam, but aren't you allowed to not fast during menstration? I know a lot of muslims and last year I asked a lot of questions like do diabetics have to fast, pregnant women, etc. and they told me that menstration was another circumstance in which you are permitted to abstain from fasting.

This is true. Women do not have to fast during their time of the month, but are suppose to make it up after Ramadan is over.
    Not to derail the topic of this thread, but what about diabetics? It wouldn't be feasible for them to fast at any point. I'm assuming they just don't make it up and they're permanently excused, right?

It wouldn't be feasible for most Type I diabetics to fast (though some have successfully). However plenty of Type II diabetics have indeed fasted, and for much longer than the relatively inconsequential 12-14 hour fasts undertaken daily during Ramadan.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not Muslim, but I know many people who are and who fast during Ramadan. It's important to try and eat the same amount of calories you did before Ramadan. Once the sun goes down, stuff your face with calories. It may be hard to eat that many calories in a short time, so consider eating calorically dense foods like peanut butter, whey protein, ice cream, butter, olive oil, etc

My ex is Muslim, and that's exactly what he did. As soon as the sun went down, he was eating like there was no tomorrow. He actually lost about 4 lbs. during the process, though he certainly didn't need to.

Good luck!
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Diabetics, pregnant women, people with special needs or serious illnesses are exempted from fasting, but it depends on you and your personal situation. I was able to keep 15 fasts while pregnant with my son because I was early on in my pregnancy and I felt like I could handle it. I have a daughter with special needs that most likely will not fast, but if she wants to try, I would definitely let her.
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options

if the medical condition is like diabetes in which you know fasting can be a problem for health and you wont be fast even after the ramadan ends .... you are not required to fast .... but you have to feed the poor instead .... but if the condition is temporary (like i was required to take medicine during the day and it was compulsary to take it at that time) then you have to fast for the same number of days as you missed anytime during the year ..... ramadan is not only about staying hungry .... it is the month to empower your self control .... it teaches you when you can leave the things which are permissible in this month then why cant you leave bad things for the rest of the year .... it makes you feel the pain of the people who are not as fortunate as us as we know we wont be able to eat anything for 16-18 hours but then we have enough that we can eat but they know they might not have anything to eat even after that .... it is a very spiritual and calming month .... it is the training for the rest of the year to resist the bad temptations and do good .... i have always loved ramadan .... even when i was a kid .... and still wait for it the whole year