RAMADAN

Options

Replies

• Lulla_dxb
    Lulla_dxb Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm Muslim and last Ramadan I exercised for at least 1 hour a day and still managed to put on weight!!!
    I was eating a lot of sweet treats at night.
    This year I will still exercise but cutting back on the sweet things and trying to keep healthy...let's see what happens!
    I love Ramadan!
  • IndianMuslim
    IndianMuslim Posts: 154
    Options
    Me too! :)
  • ZB17
    ZB17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When is the best time to exercise during Ramadan? There's so much mixed information! I can't exercise on a full stomach (I always feel uncomfortable and get cramps.), so exercising right after I eat in the morning won't be a good option, and waking up before 4 AM (around the time the fasting begins) might not be a very practical option for me. Would it be okay to exercise (cardio) a couple of hours after the day's fast begins, or would that be harmful since I won't be able to 'refuel' until around 8 PM?
    Some suggest exercising an hour before the fast is broken, but then others say that exercising on an empty stomach after not eating for over 12 hours is harmful (because it raises cortisol levels and that destroys muscle? is that true?).
  • Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have several friends and family who are type 1 and 2 diabetics. Both have actually seen improvement in their diabetic condition (lower blood sugar levels, fewer spikes, etc). If you are a Type 1 diabetic you need to fast with a doctor's supervision and if the doctor deems it unhealthy to go without insulin throughout the fasting period than it's permitted not to fast. The person would have to make up for the lack of fasting in some other way such as feeding the poor or other types of charity.
  • Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When is the best time to exercise during Ramadan? There's so much mixed information! I can't exercise on a full stomach (I always feel uncomfortable and get cramps.), so exercising right after I eat in the morning won't be a good option, and waking up before 4 AM (around the time the fasting begins) might not be a very practical option for me. Would it be okay to exercise (cardio) a couple of hours after the day's fast begins, or would that be harmful since I won't be able to 'refuel' until around 8 PM?
    Some suggest exercising an hour before the fast is broken, but then others say that exercising on an empty stomach after not eating for over 12 hours is harmful (because it raises cortisol levels and that destroys muscle? is that true?).

Honestly, you just need to exercise at some point during the day. Whatever is most comfortable for you. Either way you likely wont see significant gains during Ramadan, but it is still important to lift weights. so you don't experience too much muscle atrophy throughout the month. I personally prefer to exercise before iftaar by just over an hour, so I can drink water by the end of my workout. I've tried working out early in the day and have found that I'm terribly thirsty throughout the day. Ultimately, it's up to you when you workout.
  • kalieah
    kalieah Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Is anyone interested in doing a weight loss bet?! MESSAGE ME!
  • hodaissa14
    Options
    no diabetics do not have to fast. Instead for everyday during Ramadan they must feed someone who is poor or needy and give s a small amount of charity. :)
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Salam,

A recent Czech study claimed that eating 2 meals a day helps weight loss.
    Well, we break our fast at sunset, then eat again before sunrise. Perfect!

It's not too hard to get the nutrients you need. For instance, if your goal is 1500, you can have 800-900 at sunset and 600-700 at sunrise! Just make sure you're getting the nutrients (i.e, no junk food!)

Ramadan Kareem :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Salam,

It's not too hard to get the nutrients you need. For instance, if your goal is 1500, you can have 800-900 at sunset and 600-700 at sunrise! Just make sure you're getting the nutrients (i.e, no junk food!)

Do your sleeping patterns get messed up during Ramadan?
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Salam,

Do your sleeping patterns get messed up during Ramadan?

Not really. You can eat before bedtime or just wake up before sunrise for 30-60 minutes to eat.
  • nidserz
    nidserz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I will be fasting this year. I haven't really kept track of gains or loss in the past but since I am starting a new healthy lifestyle so close to Ramadan I want to make sure I don't get off track. I love the fried food for starters but I will go easy on it this year but won't deprive myself. I also plan to go for a 45 min walk/jog right before iftaar and then after I eat I'll do the 30 day shred DVD. I hope to maintain if I don't lose... Amounting seems like a win in this situation.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I'm not muslim, but some people do intermittent fasting, which means their window for eating is only a few hours (5 I think), so it's a similar idea because they fast for the rest of the day.

Those who partake in what they refer to as "IF" still make sure to get all of their alloted calories in, or the body will go in to starvation mode. Not right away, but gradually...your body will hold on to every last ounce it can at that point so you want to avoid it.

You sure treat your fasting for ramadan in the same fashion. Just because you are required to fast that does not mean that your body requires less calories for that time period.

Hope that helped.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Just curious...are there any muslims on here that will be fasting for the 30 days of Ramadan and have been successful in the past at losing weight while fasting? I have been fasting this week and found that the 21 hours or so of fasting does a toll on my body so even if I eat a small amount at night, I just maintain my weight. I know it's probably because my body goes in starvation mode. I also am not exercising while fasting for obvious reasons. Does anyone have any tips?

Hey sorry if I'm repeating something because I didn't read all the replies.

Yes, many Muslims here. I fast in Ramadan and often in Sha'aban and Rajab too. Yes, you can easily be successful with it. Actually, intermitent fasting is very similar to what Muslims do in terms of food intake.

How are you fasting for 21 hours though? I live in Saudia and our fast is frmo 4:30 AM to 7 PM. You won't go into starvation mode if you manage to eat your calories after maghrib and before Fajr. Which is plenty of time with at least 2 meals.

I usually split my calories. 2/3rd of it after maghrib. Usually dense food (which is easy due to all the oily food we eat). Dates are VERY calorie dense themselves anyways so its really easy. 1/3rd in suhr. I workout usually after 9:00 PM anyways so its no change really.
  • ellehoosen20
    Options
    im also muslim and i will be fasting this month for ramadan.
    my advice is to eat lean, wholesome foods full of protein and fibre.
    eat calorie dense foods because if you try to squeeze in what you would eat in a day into the space of a couple of hours your stomach will stretch and you'll get hungry quickly.
    also, dont stop working out!
    im a 198lb woman doing p90x (6 x 1hour workouts a week), have done nearly 1/3 of the program and will not stop during ramadan.
    what i plan on doing is breaking my fast with dates (fibre), watermelon and banana (fibre) then do my workout. the fruits will lightly fill you so that you have energy to exercise and that you wont feel drained. that way, i am rest assured that my metabolism will not slow right down :)
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Please check this,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025907-do-you-lose-or-gain-weight-during-ramadan

For me I am fasting and I am facing big problem to keep my maintain weight .........
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    im also muslim and i will be fasting this month for ramadan.
    my advice is to eat lean, wholesome foods full of protein and fibre.
    eat calorie dense foods because if you try to squeeze in what you would eat in a day into the space of a couple of hours your stomach will stretch and you'll get hungry quickly.
    also, dont stop working out!
    im a 198lb woman doing p90x (6 x 1hour workouts a week), have done nearly 1/3 of the program and will not stop during ramadan.
    what i plan on doing is breaking my fast with dates (fibre), watermelon and banana (fibre) then do my workout. the fruits will lightly fill you so that you have energy to exercise and that you wont feel drained. that way, i am rest assured that my metabolism will not slow right down :)

Wow. Magrib comes in so late. I have a family that I am responsible for feeding and cleaning up after. Are you single? I don't have an hour so late to work out and then have to turn around and wake up to cook sahoor. I hope it goes great and you have a blessed Ramadan!
  • Lulla_dxb
    Lulla_dxb Posts: 22
    Options
    Anyone fasting in Ramadan feel free to add me, I'd love to know what everyone's eating when they break their fast!
  • ZB17
    ZB17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Honestly, you just need to exercise at some point during the day. Whatever is most comfortable for you. Either way you likely wont see significant gains during Ramadan, but it is still important to lift weights. so you don't experience too much muscle atrophy throughout the month. I personally prefer to exercise before iftaar by just over an hour, so I can drink water by the end of my workout. I've tried working out early in the day and have found that I'm terribly thirsty throughout the day. Ultimately, it's up to you when you workout.

Great, thanks!

Here is an awesome article to anyone who is taking part in Ramadan or fasting in general: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip:

9. Take a walk. Or a run, whatever floats your boat. Research shows that all it takes is 30 minutes of exercise a day to maintain good health

Source: http://www.thetaboulibowl.wordpress.com
  • IndianMuslim
    IndianMuslim Posts: 154
    Options
    Yes, I am a mom of two children, ages 8 and 4. I also work full-time and get home around 5:30 PM each day. Since iftaar is about 8:30 PM and tarawih will be around 10 / 10:30 PM, I am not planning on working out in Ramadan. I may go for a walk after we open our fast, but that's about it. I would really prefer to focus my time and energy on prayer.

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I plan on opening my fasts with dates and fruit and then eating a balanced dinner. Will do my best to avoid fried foods altogether ;)

Ramadan Mubarak to you all!!