Ingredients to watch out for?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Avoid anything you have allergies to or don't like the flavor of. Otherwise there is nothing you need to avoid (including aspartame, and HFCS).

Cosigned. Except beets. Everyone should avoid beets. They're evil.

Now, now, now. Let's not start demonizing food...
    LOL

I will go down in any flame war you bring when it comes to those stain inducing dirt balls of death.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    The only ingredient I'll avoid is coriander (cilantro). Thats because I hate it with a passion, and to me it tastes like rotting washing up liquid.

I find it really funny that I love coriander (in the US, this refers to the seeds of the coriander/cilantro plant) but I can't stand cilantro (the fresh leaves of the same plant). How one plant can produce something wonderful and something awful at the same time is beyond me. At least both nutmeg and mace are yummy. I can't make my gr-grandmother's doughnuts without mace.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    It is refreshing to find earlnabby will be just in front of me to a warmer permanent climate. **Beet lover here** Come at me Satan!

I thought you were my friend.

Hmph.

Oh well, I like kale. I have a soup in my fridge right now with kale, collards, and escarole in it. I'm sweating Vitamin A, I tell ya.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    It is refreshing to find earlnabby will be just in front of me to a warmer permanent climate. **Beet lover here** Come at me Satan!

Hmph.

Oh well, I like kale. I have a soup in my fridge right now with kale, collards, and escarole in it. I'm sweating Vitamin A, I tell ya.

Collards in soup?!? I know you're kidding....just stop. And is the escarole a combination of snails and a butter roll?!? I may...MAY make a soup with kale in it today. It'll be an accident I'm sure...not intended to be an ingredient ;)

• earlnabby
    Options

Hmph.

I have a stew in my fridge with pork roast, potatoes, coriander, saffron, green olives, and a few more things. Pork is "the other white meat" so no red meat to give me a heart attack.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    9e09wtdi7v6j.jpeg

Hmph.

I have a stew in my fridge with pork roast, potatoes, coriander, saffron, green olives, and a few more things. Pork is "the other white meat" so no red meat to give me a heart attack.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything you have allergies to or don't like the flavor of. Otherwise there is nothing you need to avoid (including aspartame, and HFCS).
    +1. The body is VERY efficient. Additives in most foods (usually to increase shelf life or stabilize) aren't usually the issue when someone is unhealthy. That would first be weight (number one predictor of health status), genetics and hereditary traits, and then eating habits and environment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Let me just say that it isn't "what" people are eating that's the issue if we're speaking of health. It's the LACK of what they aren't getting. Many people out there don't meet their essentials and exceed in others.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I rarely read ingredient labels...just nutrition.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

https://imgflip.com/i/v9aym[/img]v9aym.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    You had to go after me with a cute kitty. Fine. Poison yourself with beets. Nice knowing you. Can I have the cat when you're gone?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    How many would agree that eating red meat increases your risk for heart disease? To say you can eat anything you want as long as you aren't obese, I would argue that your percentages for certain types of diseases would increase.

Years ago people didn't see the problem with smoking. I think we would all agree that if you smoke you increase your risk to have a few things wrong with you.

I am not saying that if you have a hamburger once a week you are going to die of a heart attack. I do think that if certain foods/ingredients in foods are consumed in certain amounts you increase your risk for some negative things to happen. You can still be under your calorie goal and eat a lot of red meat. You can still be under your calorie goal, in my opinion and not eat healthy.

I am not looking to eliminate foods/ingredients but I will be aware of what I am putting in my body. I am not a nutritionist and don't claim to be. I do think it is a topic that goes deeper than everything is fine just don't go over your calorie goal.
    While there are certain behaviors that would increase risk tremendously (smoking, stuntman, venomous animal handler, etc.), risk of health is something that EVERYONE confronts DAILY by just getting up in the morning. Arguments could easily be made that living in Houston or LA increases respiratory ailments, you increase getting shocked by plugging in an appliance, that driving everyday easily increases your risk for a fatal car accident, etc.
    These are things that people don't even think about because........................while there is risk, it's not that high in percentages.
    If your genetics suck, then I'd be more concerned. If not, then don't over analyze the issue. You'll just stress yourself out...............which increases risk of HBP and heart disease. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• _Terrapin_
    Options

Hmph.

May we inquire as to the olive type? And did you add the coriander at or near the end of the stew? Thanks in advance for your healthier replies. . . . ."CORIANDER ROCKS!!!!!!"
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It is okay little fella...no one will take your beets. . . . .heheheh front page of Jersey paper "Kitty beets Jersey woman to death"
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You had to go after me with a cute kitty. Fine. Poison yourself with beets. Nice knowing you. Can I have the cat when you're gone?

Oh, sure. As long as I can eat my beets. :D
  • SLLRunner
    Options

It is okay little fella...no one will take your beets. . . . .heheheh front page of Jersey paper "Kitty beets Jersey woman to death"

Thank goodness, someone to the rescue....finally. My poison beets stay with me. :)
  • earlnabby
    Options

Hmph.

May we inquire as to the olive type? And did you add the coriander at or near the end of the stew? Thanks in advance for your healthier replies. . . . ."CORIANDER ROCKS!!!!!!"

Plain old pimento stuffed olives (the remainder will be added to my vodka gimlets). Since I used coriander, not cilantro, it went into the stew at the beginning along with the rest of the herbs and spices. I did my own sazon mixture although I needed to substitute saffron for the annato seeds since I forgot to pick some up at the local Mexican market. I have tons of saffron (well actually about 2 oz and it is the real stuff from Kashmir, left over from when I worked at Penzeys and we got a kilo in that had insect casings. We couldn't sell it so the employees got to keep it if they wanted).
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Thank goodness, someone to the rescue....finally. My poison beets stay with me. :)
    I rarely white knight folks; but sometimes it just needs to happen :)

• SLLRunner
    Options
    If your genetics suck, then I'd be more concerned. If not, then don't over analyze the issue. You'll just stress yourself out...............which increases risk of HBP and heart disease. ;)

I agree with this.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Except the ones I take >:)