SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Avoid anything you have allergies to or don't like the flavor of. Otherwise there is nothing you need to avoid (including aspartame, and HFCS).

Cosigned. Except beets. Everyone should avoid beets. They're evil.

https://imgflip.com/i/v9aym[/img]v9aym.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

It is okay little fella...no one will take your beets. . . . .heheheh front page of Jersey paper "Kitty beets Jersey woman to death"

Thank goodness, someone to the rescue....finally. My poison beets stay with me. :)

Except the ones I take >:)

Kathy, I love beets. It used to be the canned but now it's the fresh ones steamed. They are so delicious.

I am really into fresh whole foods these days more than canned foods, and frozen veggies and fruits are okay for me, but this has nothing to do with the ingredients--it's all about taste. Pure taste. The only ingredients I watch out for due to intolerance are lactose, soy, and Stevia seems to increase my acid reflux.

On the whole, unless there is a medical reason to limit certain ingredients, then doing so is all about preference.

ETA: oh, and large does of caffeine and any carbonated drinks make me miserable as well, so I avoid the carbonation :( and moderate the caffeine. :)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything you have allergies to or don't like the flavor of. Otherwise there is nothing you need to avoid (including aspartame, and HFCS).

I *spewed* coffee all over my phone, the couch and a little on my dog LOLing at this. IFLY.

In for kittens and beets. They go delightfully with salads. (The beets, not the kittens- just to be clear).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I *spewed* coffee all over my phone, the couch and a little on my dog LOLing at this. IFLY.

In for kittens and beets. They go delightfully with salads. (The beets, not the kittens- just to be clear).

LOL!

Kittens are adorable, and my cat Buddy would try the beets.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This thread isn't about losing weight. I realize that you can lose weight and eat about whatever you want as long as you eat in moderation, exercise etc.... I just know certain people try to watch out for different ingredients in their food. Maybe you are 100% healthy and eat whatever you want and that works for you. For my personal interest, I am interested in posts like kshama2001 to have an eye out for different ingredients of foods that we are eating. I would like to have the information about these ingredients and then make my own decisions on whether or not I would like to eat them.

I know we should eat a variety of foods every day. Don't eat too much of one thing. For me, I get into a groove of trying to stay healthy and I like certain foods. I just want to make sure the majority of things I put in my body, in my mind, are healthy for me. This doesn't mean I will eliminate all types of different foods because of their ingredients. It might help me to make a decision to choose to eat a little more of a certain type of food over another.

I suggest for "ideal" health, work for a 30/30/30 split between proteins/carbs/fats, and pick fibrous carbs more often. It's not avoiding certain foods, but saying a generous "yes" to many foods.

I assume the other 10% of calories must come from ... alcohol?
    :)

LOL yeah, lousy maths. For MFP make it 33/33/34. In reality we need the 10% for margin of error.

OP the relative risk between a chicken breast and a steak for heart health for instance, could be 0.000001%. I think it is riskier to eat a limited diet and possibly miss out on trace vitamins and minerals say, found in red meat.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    This thread isn't about losing weight. I realize that you can lose weight and eat about whatever you want as long as you eat in moderation, exercise etc.... I just know certain people try to watch out for different ingredients in their food. Maybe you are 100% healthy and eat whatever you want and that works for you. For my personal interest, I am interested in posts like kshama2001 to have an eye out for different ingredients of foods that we are eating. I would like to have the information about these ingredients and then make my own decisions on whether or not I would like to eat them.

I know we should eat a variety of foods every day. Don't eat too much of one thing. For me, I get into a groove of trying to stay healthy and I like certain foods. I just want to make sure the majority of things I put in my body, in my mind, are healthy for me. This doesn't mean I will eliminate all types of different foods because of their ingredients. It might help me to make a decision to choose to eat a little more of a certain type of food over another.

I suggest for "ideal" health, work for a 30/30/30 split between proteins/carbs/fats, and pick fibrous carbs more often. It's not avoiding certain foods, but saying a generous "yes" to many foods.

I assume the other 10% of calories must come from ... alcohol?
    :)

LOL yeah, lousy maths. For MFP make it 33/33/34. In reality we need the 10% for margin of error.

OP the relative risk between a chicken breast and a steak for heart health for instance, could be 0.000001%. I think it is riskier to eat a limited diet and possibly miss out on trace vitamins and minerals say, found in red meat.

I was assuming a direct relative of Yogi Berra.

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

This site has a decent list for you to look through. It located at the bottom of the page. I recommend cross referencing anything on that list that interests you to actual studies before coming to any conclusions.

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Cooked up with vinegar and caraway seed, they are wonderful! I also like them shredded on salads.

Love them tossed in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and rosemary then oven roasted with carrots! So good! :smile:
    64crayons wrote: »
    @PeachyCarol I've actually started making my own veggie broth. SO easy! I just save all the bits and ends of veggies when I'm cooking (keep a container for them in my freezer). Then when the container's full, I put all the bits in a pot with water, bring to a boil, and simmer for a while (maybe 30 minutes or so). Strain it (toss the solids in the compost), and voila! Veggie broth, with no "additives". And it's free.

I had never considered this. I like the idea!