What's your Christmas menu?

Options

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh I meant the scallop potatoes! I don't drink. I'm sure my husband will get some wine or something though...

Sorry! It dawned on me after I posted this that you quite possibly meant the potatoes! I have no real recipe for scalloped potatoes. Generally I use the food processor to thinly slice Yukon golds, then melt a stick of butter, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and Parmesan cheese together and pour that over the layered potatoes and bake until done. Then add a layer of bread crumbs and more parm cheese and broil until brown.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh I meant the scallop potatoes! I don't drink. I'm sure my husband will get some wine or something though...

Sorry! It dawned on me after I posted this that you quite possibly meant the potatoes! I have no real recipe for scalloped potatoes. Generally I use the food processor to thinly slice Yukon golds, then melt a stick of butter, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and Parmesan cheese together and pour that over the layered potatoes and bake until done. Then add a layer of bread crumbs and more parm cheese and broil until brown.

Sounds great!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve is me eating whatever vegan danish christmas food my mormor makes which will not be much plus also eating a tonne of her homemade marzipan

Chistmas Day is all vegan breaded seitan cutlets, mashed potatoes, mac & cheeze,stuffing,corn,squash,buns,apple crisp & ice cream, double chocolate brownies , various cookies , spinach & artichoke dip, chocolates, chips and whatever other snacks i buy
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Some coffee cake for breakfast. Dinner is Prime Rib roast, Yorkshire Pudding, creamed spinach, and some kind of cake/pie for dessert.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve is jambalaya with French bread while we watch "It's A Wonderful Life" and before we go to candlelight church service.

Christmas morning is ginger scones w/ coffee, and savory egg muffins w/ Field Roast sausage.

Christmas dinner will be buttery lemon baked mahi mahi, pistachio rice pilaf, green beans, Southwest chopped salad, rolls & butter. Dessert -- oh yes, lots of dessert -- Christmas cookies & some kind of centerpiece cake I haven't decided yet. Or pie.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I'm making ham, roasted red potatoes, deviled eggs, green beans and cherry tomatoes
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    As long as I get pavlova I don't care about the rest.

Absolutely!! :grin:

• shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Im in South Africa and its usually very hot around Christmas so we have a braai (I think you call it a BBQ?)

Starters are samoosas, bacon wrapped maraschino cherries and biscuits and dip

Mains are : whole lamb on the spit as well as gammon and a chicken.

If we have a lunch time braai we have potato salad, pasta salad or a green salad as sides with garlic rolls.
    If its a dinner braai we have sweet baby carrots, broccoli or cauliflower and cheese sauce, garlic rolls and roast potato (no salads)

Dessert is peppermint crisp fridge tart, lemon meringue or brandy tart (tipsy tart) with custard

Then theres a whole lot of wine, brandy and coke and champagne! (fatter and fatter and fatter)
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Semi-traditional English here, it's just me and my OH so it's trimmed down a bit.

I'm going to make Christmas pancakes for breakfast. And then the main meal at lunchtime with leftovers for dinner:

No starter

Roast beef rib
    Yorkshire puddings
    Goose fat roast potatoes
    A single roast parsnip (I hate them)
    Cumin-roasted carrots
    Brussels and pancetta

Banoffee tart for dessert I believe.

I've cut out a lot of the veg because I realised I still ate the same amount of the more calorie-dense things (roast potatoes/Yorkshire puddings) AND the veg, which just added calories. So, I figured we won't bother with veg just for the sake of it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm in England and I cook for 12 people!
    Starters
    Ham and pea soup with garlic bread
    Salmon mousse stack with multigrain crackers
    Bacon and egg english muffin

Main
    Turkey, gammon and beef
    Sausages wrapped in bacon
    Yorkshire puddings
    Cranberry and walnut stuffing
    Sausage meat & sage stuffing
    Honey roasted parsnips
    Bacon fried Brussels sprouts
    Mashed swede with salted butter
    Goose fat roasted potatoes
    Mashed potatoes with salted butter
    Gravy
    Apple sauce
    Mint sauce

Desserts
    Sweet mince pies
    Lemon cheese cake
    Chocolate bomb
    Rum and raisin double cream
    Single cream
    Vanilla ice cream

Starting the prep for this today as I'm working a long shift tomorrow. I forget every year how much work Christmas is!

Good luck everyone with your menus/cooking and Happy Christmas :)
  • Shesaleo18
    Shesaleo18 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Were having Xmas at my sister in laws tomorrow I'm cooking a roast chicken for her, she's doing pork on the bbq,prawns,roast potato (for her bro and my kids),a pumpkin salad,a potato salad and dessert. Plus alcohol
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting to see the different things people eat for Christmas, I didn't realise Americans didn't all have turkey for Christmas dinner like we do in the UK!
    I'll be having croissants for breakfast, Turkey with potatoes roast in goose fat, brussel sprouts and some other veg for lunch.
    Then probably smoked Salmon sandwiches in the evening...plus lots of chocolate.

What's monkey bread? I've seen a few people mention it and I've seen pictures but can't work out what it is ;)

I prefer turkey, but I have inlaws that like ham (and not a well prepared ham either!! They just put orange juice on it and bake it!). This is the first year I have won the batlle to come to my house for Christmas, for many reasons I should have all along (the main one being they don't cook!!). I grew up in a family of many traditions, but one big part was English and we did those things when the English pat won the argument! lol
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I stuffed a pork loin with apples and cranberries and herbs. We'll have white cheddar au gratin potatoes, green beans with bacon, sausage herb dressing, roasted carrots, a cottage cheese "pink" salad, and Parker House rolls.

For dessert I baked a mincemeat pie, gingerbread bundt cake with orange rum glaze, and a cream cheese, mascarpone, and walnut stuffed pumpkin roll.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve:
    Shrimp ring, buffalo chicken wings, tourtière, homemade pierogi, meatballs, spinach and artichoke dip, baked Brie with carmelized onions, smoked salmon, dips and chips, guacamole, veggie tray. Sweets--Nanaimo bars, shortbreads, mars bar squares, butterscotch marshmallow squares.
    Christmas Morning:
    Leftover pierogi fried up (yum!), Cinnabon cinnamon rolls (would have made my own but no time), croque monsieurs, probably scrambled eggs and bacon.
    Christmas Supper: traditional with roast turkey, tourtière, mashed turnip, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, ham, pierogi with sour cream. Various squares and fruitcake.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm guessing everyone's prepping already?

We're having cheese and crackers as appetizer, then lamb with roasted potatoes and sauteed Brussel sprouts with pancetta, I'm making some brioche rolls to go with it (making the dough after lunch), and dessert is banoffee pie (bleh), plum pudding with hard sauce (double bleh), and I got a Friendly's frudge ice cream log for the kids (and me maybe but I'll probably pass).

So not too bad overall, still kinda pissed my husband insisted on making dessert I don't like, but heck. At least I don't have to worry about piggying out on dessert this time.

Tonight is that buffet at our friends and Mexican food. Not in the mood at all for Mexican food so I'll just have a bit of whatever looks healthier...

Christmas morning will be... I have no idea. We have a tradition of having Panettone for breakfast but I'm not sure I want any this year and the kids don't like it because of the fruit bits, so I might make myself some eggs or something (hubby of course did buy Panettone anyway). Basically whatever I have time to make between unwrapping, cleaning, and finishing the brioche. And lunch will be skipped probably, so I'm not worried about it!

Hope you all enjoy your meal, calories be damned.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This is the first year there has ever just been the 4 of us and part of me is really looking forward to it because we get to do long lie-ins if the children allow it....and the other part is kind of sad we aren't catering for masses of friends

But will still be traditional main
    Roast turkey (although I got a crown)
    Roast ham (clove studded)
    Roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots
    Home made mini Yorkshire puddings
    Sprouts and pancetta
    Brocolli cos nobody but me likes the traditional red cabbage and apple
    Carrots and suede mashed
    Homemade gravy

Pudding
    Trifle
    Steamed chocolate pudding and custard
    Eton mess

Mocktails and weak cava for the kids
    Cosmopolitans and cava for us

Later
    Mince pies
    Hot chocolate
    Turkey sandwiches with mayonnaise / branston pickle
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    If you want a "nice" Christmas breakfast, I highly recommend a make ahead option. We used to do an egg casserole the day before and pull apart monkey bread that could be heated up on Christmas morning. That way all you have to do is throw it in the oven.

If you want a "nice" Christmas breakfast I highly recommend training the husband to make bacon and egg toasted sandwiches with sauce of choice and a big steaming mug of coffee and bringing it up on a Downton Abbey style tray

:bigsmile: @kkenseth
  • Francl27
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    If you want a "nice" Christmas breakfast, I highly recommend a make ahead option. We used to do an egg casserole the day before and pull apart monkey bread that could be heated up on Christmas morning. That way all you have to do is throw it in the oven.

If you want a "nice" Christmas breakfast I highly recommend training the husband to make bacon and egg toasted sandwiches with sauce of choice and a big steaming mug of coffee and bringing it up on a Downton Abbey style tray

:bigsmile: @kkenseth

I approve. Of course I'm always up first anyway...
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm having 3 Christmas events within the next 2 days. Tonight is with my parents - my mom will be cooking for my dad, my 3 kids, her and myself and it will be like Thanksgiving again with turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, rolls and some sort of dessert. Christmas night with my dad's side of the family and we have a tradition of doing soups and small sandwiches. All I know is the soups are chili, chicken noodle, loaded potato and something else. Saturday is with my mom's side of the family and it's just appetizers & games (which could get me in trouble). I am still considered a kid in my family (with 3 kids of my own and approaching 30) so they never want me to bring any food, but this year I'm making spinach artichoke dip. It's so yummy, and lets be honest, I have a craving for it. haha
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Pretty nontraditional over here.

Brunch at home today is lemon ricotta pancakes & lots of coffee.

Later we're picking up my mom & going to see Star Wars and getting Thai food out. Fudge & cookies afterward.

Tomorrow, brunch at my dad's house with family...having a massive array of omelette ingredients, homemade biscuits, ham & potato casserole, mini pancakes, and lots of fresh fruit.

That is it. No big turkey/ham meal for us and I'm so glad. I don't like that kind of food so this is right up my alley.