How often does everyone weigh themselves?

Options
124»

Replies

• KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that I log it here each day. I have a friend that only weighs once a month though. It's all about what works for you.
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    These days I weigh daily. But I get weighed on a scale that shows fat, muscle and so on every 4-6 weeks at my fitness place. It's one of those better scales with handles. Doesn't beat inbody or other better measurement techniques but it sure is better than scales without handles.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    daily, keeps me motivated. I am learning to ignore minor fluctuations. if I weight lower for three days in a row I count it and log it. 16 down so far!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "Daily. I have an engineering background so I love having more data - the fact the data is "noisy" is nothing new to me, so is basically everything else."

Yeah! To smooth out the noise a bit I record my weight daily but keep a running 7-day average. Easy to do in Excel if you don't have a special program for it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Daily. I have an engineering background so I love having more data - the fact the data is "noisy" is nothing new to me, so is basically everything else.

I'm half tempted to calculate out some digital filter coefficients and smooth my weight with it but I haven't done that yet. I just graph it and look at trend lines.

Amusingly I was thinking along the same lines this morning. Here's an FFT of my weight over the past 4 years using a 1-year smooth on the raw data. The bottom axis is frequency. By far the largest fluctuation is at 1 year, which makes sense given the way that weight can fluctuate over a year. There's also a fairly large peak at 120 days and smaller ones on months-long time scales, interestingly enough.

The only significant peaks at time scales shorter than a month are at 1 week (0.14) and 0.5 week (0.28) which is likely just a harmonic of the 1 week point. This makes a lot of sense to me given that I, like many people, tend to eat more on weekends.

So my decision to record daily but apply a 1-week smooth to the data seems to have been a good one. That cuts out the weekly variations but still allows me to see the longer scale fluctuations and trends.

Gw8M6WF.png
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do once a week....Tuesday morning first thing in the morning.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I get weighed when I go to the doctor. I only weigh myself if I've put on weight, or think I have. Then I do it every time I go to the gym and have access to a medical scale.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Weighing everyday doesn't work for me because it makes me focus too much on the numbers and the fluctuations. I've decided to try to weigh every month to see if it works better. If I cannot wait that long then hopefully not more often than every other week.