CICO

Options
blambo61
blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm starting this to discuss the complexities of the body turning CI into fat and the elimination of fat due to CO.

Since fat accumulation is a complex function of CI and fat dissapation is also a complex function of CO, the simple model of
fat rate = CI - CO is not a perfect model. It is a good simple model that is very useful but can be improved. Improvements to this model could lead to practices that could improve weight loss for those already having success with the CICO model and has the potential to greatly help those who have to eat so little or exercise so much to loose weight that they give up on their weight loss programs. The real model is:
fat rate = f (CI) - f(CO)

See the following for some more explanation:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111114p36.shtml&ved=0ahUKEwiCjsuguNXJAhVC6GMKHV5ID-oQFggpMAQ&usg=AFQjCNEz3lfx_xLMrjH_Xx35QfTf-Lm0qg&sig2=sH-gj-NvQNx5gSLw_AOLXA

Would appreciate some discussion. Thanks. Lets all learn and have civil discussions if there are differences of opinions. Thanks.

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Why do we need to continue?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

Because we haven't given up!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Because it's mfp....where cico needs to be explained and discussed and debated constantly....... Apparently its a hard concept to follow for some.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Those that posted above this did so while I was still typing the original. Sorry for the confusion. Doing this on a phone and not so easy.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    CICO is a good simple model that doesn't need to be improved. It's useful because it's simple and accurate. If you try to overcomplicate it then it is no longer simple.

That article you posted basically says that CO can change. Yes, it can and does. CI can change as well. However, as long as CI<CO, weight will be lost. If it's not lost at the rate you expect then you are not obtaining accurate numbers either on CI or CO.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    CICO is a good simple model that doesn't need to be improved. It's useful because it's simple and accurate. If you try to overcomplicate it then it is no longer simple.

That article you posted basically says that CO can change. Yes, it can and does. CI can change as well. However, as long as CI<CO, weight will be lost. If it's not lost at the rate you expect then you are not obtaining accurate numbers either on CI or CO.

I don't believe in CICO. I do however in magical pink unicorns.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

I don't believe in CICO. I do however in magical pink unicorns.
    Mine are purple but you go ahead on with yours. The more the merrier.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    The article's "3500 calorie" models, however, aren't what MFP uses. I tried them out and it seems like their "3500 calorie" models assume your TDEE doesn't change over time. It does, and MFP knows it does, which is why it recalculates your goals periodically. My TDEE is lower than when I weighed 60 lb more.

I don't think this disproves CICO, just proves that CO isn't constant, which I can't see as an argument anyone is making.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Because it's mfp....where cico needs to be explained and discussed and debated constantly....... Apparently its a hard concept to follow for some.

Did you mean for that to come off snarky? Really—it is not well understood by many. Is that surprising? Nutritional education (in many US public schools, at least) isn't so great. The percentage of overweight and obese people also sort of points in the direction of it potentially being "a hard concept to follow for some."

And, when people get to a point where they want to make an effort to manage their weight and/or their nutritional health, sometimes they turn to sources they don't realize shouldn't be trusted. Anecdotal example: a friend of mine raved about some diet from a website, recommended by someone who had lost over 100 lbs using it. (My 55 lb loss with CICO felt too out-of-reach to her, because she is afraid of counting calories.) Here's a real gem from the site's FAQ:

2SBJeDF.png

This friend isn't a stupid person, but clearly nutritional education is lacking, and I do think there are plenty of others in the same boat. Which, btw, is part of why so many topics are redundant on this forum. For that reason, and also because not every newbie who shows up thinks to start off in Search-mode.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote:
    Because it's mfp... where cico needs to be explained and discussed and debated constantly.
    Apparently it's a hard concept to follow for some.
    justrollme wrote:
    it is not well understood by many. Is that surprising?
    Yes, because it's not only common sense, it's basic math.
    If you pour more water out of a bucket than you're adding from the spigot, the water level in the bucket will drop.

Then again, there are people who believe that if you pour more water in than you're taking out,
    the water level will still drop. (Eat more calories, keep exercise the same, lose more weight.)

Nutritional education (in many US public schools, at least) isn't so great. The percentage of overweight and obese people also sort of points in the direction of it potentially being "a hard concept to follow for some."
    Parents, grandparents, family, etc. should be teaching kids how to take care of themselves, in many ways.
    Schools need to be teaching the basics of education (3 Rs + citizenship / civics), instilling a love of learning, and
    later they need to teach how to learn so kids can continue a lifetime of learning on their own.
    Schools, government, etc. does not need to (and should not) be a nanny or a substitute for the family.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote:
    when people get to a point where they want to make an effort to manage their weight and/or their nutritional health, sometimes they turn to sources they don't realize shouldn't be trusted. Anecdotal example: a friend of mine raved about some diet from a website, recommended by someone who had lost over 100 lbs using it. (My 55 lb loss with CICO felt too out-of-reach to her, because she is afraid of counting calories.) Here's a real gem from the site's FAQ:

http://i.imgur.com/2SBJeDF.png

This friend isn't a stupid person, but clearly nutritional education is lacking, and I do think there are plenty of others in the same boat.
    The img tag didn't make it come through as a picture, so I turned it into a URL.
    http://i.imgur.com/2SBJeDF.png

That's really some whacky "logic" there...
    You can gain weight eating 1600 calories of "unclean" / junk food,
    but will lose weight eating 2000 calories of "clean" food.
    :confused:
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote:
    Because it's mfp... where cico needs to be explained and discussed and debated constantly.
    justrollme wrote:
    If you pour more water out of a bucket than you're adding from the spigot, the water level in the bucket will drop.

Then again, there are people who believe that if you pour more water in than you're taking out,
    the water level will still drop. (Eat more calories, keep exercise the same, lose more weight.)

Nutritional education (in many US public schools, at least) isn't so great. The percentage of overweight and obese people also sort of points in the direction of it potentially being "a hard concept to follow for some."
    Parents, grandparents, family, etc. should be teaching kids how to take care of themselves, in many ways.
    Schools need to be teaching the basics of education (3 Rs + citizenship / civics), instilling a love of learning, and
    later they need to teach how to learn so kids can continue a lifetime of learning on their own.
    Schools, government, etc. does not need to (and should not) be a nanny or a substitute for the family.

I agree with most of what you've said, but also must point out that sometimes family doesn't teach their children because they simply do not know what they do not know. I'm not comfortable with letting schools and government off the hook. Schools already offer the education in health and/or science classes, I'm just pointing out that many don't do a good enough job of it. (Some do, I'm sure, but I don't think enough of them do.) My parents were both raised by non-English-speaking immigrants, all hard-working, all devoted to family, and not at all well-educated in nutrition. My parents are a high school grad and a GED-earner, and they are also very hard-working, caring and devoted people who are not well-educated in nutrition. So, in my case, family did not prevent or help to solve my problems with a lack of nutrition education by providing it for me. Not because they didn't want to do so, but because they did not know to do so.

As far as the basic math part...well, yes and no? It's all estimations, with plenty of variables.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys,

This discussion apparently went a little off-the-rails from the beginning. I've done a little clean-up and am re-opening the discussion, but I'd like you to keep our community guidelines in mind while you're posting. Especially this one:
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

I hope y'all are having a fantastic weekend,
    JustSomeEm
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    The article's "3500 calorie" models, however, aren't what MFP uses. I tried them out and it seems like their "3500 calorie" models assume your TDEE doesn't change over time. It does, and MFP knows it does, which is why it recalculates your goals periodically. My TDEE is lower than when I weighed 60 lb more.

Does MFP recalculate, or merely suggest you should rerun goals ? I think the latter.

• yarwell
    Options
    Fat loss = Fat oxidation - Fat intake - Fat production

I'm a substrate partitioning guy rather than a burn it all and dissipate the energy guy.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Did you mean for that to come off snarky? Really—it is not well understood by many. Is that surprising? Nutritional education (in many US public schools, at least) isn't so great. The percentage of overweight and obese people also sort of points in the direction of it potentially being "a hard concept to follow for some."

And, when people get to a point where they want to make an effort to manage their weight and/or their nutritional health, sometimes they turn to sources they don't realize shouldn't be trusted. Anecdotal example: a friend of mine raved about some diet from a website, recommended by someone who had lost over 100 lbs using it. (My 55 lb loss with CICO felt too out-of-reach to her, because she is afraid of counting calories.) Here's a real gem from the site's FAQ:

2SBJeDF.png

This friend isn't a stupid person, but clearly nutritional education is lacking, and I do think there are plenty of others in the same boat. Which, btw, is part of why so many topics are redundant on this forum. For that reason, and also because not every newbie who shows up thinks to start off in Search-mode.

yes it was absolutely meant the way you took it. And it was responding to another conversation in this thread which has been cleaned up, so your reading into something that you can only see parts of.
    But yes, people should really know that that weight loss would require them to eat less. Sometimes people really do know it deep down Inside but still go looking for a quick fix or gimmick in hopes of " better or faster results"
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote:
    justrollme wrote:

I agree with most of what you've said, but also must point out that sometimes family doesn't teach their children because they simply do not know what they do not know. I'm not comfortable with letting schools and government off the hook. Schools already offer the education in health and/or science classes, I'm just pointing out that many don't do a good enough job of it. (Some do, I'm sure, but I don't think enough of them do.) My parents were both raised by non-English-speaking immigrants, all hard-working, all devoted to family, and not at all well-educated in nutrition. My parents are a high school grad and a GED-earner, and they are also very hard-working, caring and devoted people who are not well-educated in nutrition. So, in my case, family did not prevent or help to solve my problems with a lack of nutrition education by providing it for me. Not because they didn't want to do so, but because they did not know to do so.

As far as the basic math part...well, yes and no? It's all estimations, with plenty of variables.

I'd rather call it an approximation for most people. The difference between the two is that an estimate can be way off while an approximation is by definition close to the actual value, which most calorie counts are. And the variables that play into that, again for most people at least, don't factor in enough to make it inaccurate and can be mostly ignored.
    We had that a lot in physics class back in school. Like the good old "You're standing up in a topless car going 100 km/h and throw a ball backwards at 30 km/h. How fast does it move in relation to an outside observer?" Answer: 70 km/h as it is moving 100 in one direction and 30 in the other. That's a simple answer gotten by simple substraction and we didn't need anything more than that.
    It is also not exactly correct. The actual formula incorporates the speed of light, as nothing can go faster than that. Going the speed of light and turning on a flashlight does not result in 2x speed of light.
    But for that normal example, the variation caused by using the correct formula as opposed to the simple one is so small, you can ignore it, which is mostly true for all that TEF difference, absorption difference, cooking difference and whatever you can think of in the CICO too. If such differences were anything but small and insignificant for the vast majority, TDEE calculators would be utterly useless or wouldn't exist at all because no one would have been able to make a satisfying calculation.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Does MFP recalculate, or merely suggest you should rerun goals ? I think the latter.

It depends on how you set it up. If you use the MFP defaults, it continuously recalculates. If you customize any part of it, it will prompt you to recalculate after each 10 lb. you lose.
  • yarwell
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

It depends on how you set it up. If you use the MFP defaults, it continuously recalculates. If you customize any part of it, it will prompt you to recalculate after each 10 lb. you lose.

I must try this on a shadow account. In previous discussions it appeared that on the app some people "logged" their weight by re running goals.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I must try this on a shadow account. In previous discussions it appeared that on the app some people "logged" their weight by re running goals.

I am not sure if the app is different than the website. I only use the website.