Salad.. great. Dressing.. AWFUL?

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make salad dressings from scratch, but usually I just use lemon or lime juice.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have the same salad dressing every time, and have done for the last 10 years (I'm 23!) and I LOVE it. It's also drizzle it on over grilled turkey and asparagus!

Equal amounts of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and diijon mustard. Simple as, I use a mini tupperware box to shake it up and it stores in the fridge. Add a little honey if you like it sweet but the balsamic adds a lovely sweetness.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Most bottle dressing aren't that bad if you use the serving size or just use one tablespoon. As long as you don't go drowning your salad in thick heavy dressings I don't see anything to cringe about. Just read your labels. But making your own can be fun too.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Going to give those recipes a try and maybe give the salsa a break : )
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Normally I just stick with evoo & vinegar for my salads.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use a teaspoon or tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil depending on how large my salad is and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar or a balsamic if you prefer. I also add some salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. It is very tasty to me and not drowning in dressing with lots of crappy ingredients. Also the olive oil enables your body to metabolize the salad veggies better.

This, plus dijon mustard. I typically don't like commercial salad dressings though.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I use 10ml balsamic vinegar, 10ml olive oil and the juice of half a lemon. About 100 calories I think.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just use a TBSP of balsamic vinegar . Only 10-15 calories.
  • crippledvirgin
    Options
    Walden farms makes 0 calorie dressing. I've tried every flavor. Raspberry, balsamic and creamy bacon are my favorite. The only thing in it is sodium.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Walden farms makes 0 calorie dressing. I've tried every flavor. Raspberry, balsamic and creamy bacon are my favorite. The only thing in it is sodium.
    0 calorie creamy bacon? How do they do that? Does it have any ingredients you can pronounce?
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as it's within your calorie/fat allotment it's okay...I also love Asian dressings, specifically Tamari sesame...It is low in calories, sugar and fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As long as the fat is not trans fat, don't worry about it. Fat taste good and your body needs it. The only worry with fat is the calories, but if it fits in your goals It's all good.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    .5 or 1 tbsp EVOO
    1 or 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (I like more vinegar than oil but it's up to you)
    Pinch of brown sugar
    small squeeze of Dijon mustard
    salt and pepper

Shake them all together in one of those little tupperware containers. Amazingness. I can't eat salads with bottled dressings since I started making this.
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I rarely use bottles dressings. My go-to is a chipotle oilive oil and pineapple balsamic vinegar splashed on and tossed. So good.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I love my Hidden Valley regular Ranch dressing-nothing wrong with regular dressings :)
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just squeeze half a lime over mine...I dont like oily dressings.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love salad and dressing. I've just learned to keep the dressing on the side and dip my fork tines in it so each bite has a little dressing. I can usually get by with no more than 1 Tbsp depending on how thick it is.

This is exactly what I do. I know that we need fats, but I would rather know what I'm taking in and I would prefer the "good" fats, i.e. avocado, olive oil, fish oil, etc.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I dropped my glass salad dressing bottle before work one day and was stuck with a plain salad. I found I actually liked that better and have never gone back.

I should note that my plain salad includes avocado, so I get the requisite fat and creaminess. Sometimes I'll add a dash of salt and pepper.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    My preferred salad dressing?
    I squirt of mustard! LOL
    Zero calories, Zero Fat and good too!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The Marzetti Simply Dressed Light Veggie Ranch in the refrigerated section is very good, has no weird ingredients, and has a moderate calorie count. I use this when I am craving a creamy salad dressing. Also non-fat greek yogurt mixed with salsa makes a really nice dressing for a southwestern flavored salad.